RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight restorer review (turtle wax kit)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 01:23 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight restorer review (turtle wax kit)

This took about 20 minutes and was $7.99 at kmart (on sale, I think it's normall $9.99 most places). I have used just straight turtle wax and toothpaste on other cars, but I really enjoyed the ease of this kit.

The kit comes with a cleaner solution and 4 small 2" pads of different grit sand paper & a spray lubricant as well as a final cleanser wipe and a sealer wipe.

The only thing you'll need is a couple of cotton/terry cloths to apply and wipe off/buff and a little time.

You could probably get a little bit better of a response if you spent more time than I did, but I'm happy with the 20 minutes I spent to get this result.

enjoy.

2004 rx330

Headlight restorer review (turtle wax kit)-tgrth15.jpg
Headlight restorer review (turtle wax kit)-nykmvyl.jpg

Last edited by mpatton; 11-02-13 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added images
Old 11-02-13, 04:14 PM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Wow! That looks awesome. I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning!
Old 11-02-13, 04:34 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope it lasts. Ive used this kit with only temporary results. The tried and true method in my experience is to sand lenses with increasing grit, then clearcoat them
Old 11-02-13, 04:58 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by alchemist
I hope it lasts. Ive used this kit with only temporary results. The tried and true method in my experience is to sand lenses with increasing grit, then clearcoat them
This kit actually comes with 4 pads of different grit sandpaper along with a cleaner and a sealer. I edited the original post to make that more clear. Sorry.

I'm hoping it lasts too . Turtle wax and toothpaste on other cars I owned were only temporary.

Last edited by mpatton; 11-02-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 06:32 PM
mpatton
Rookie

What did you use for clear coat?
Old 11-05-13, 10:49 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The other way to do it is to pick up some 3M rubbing compound. It's pricy, at about $30 a quart, but it's the only thing that seems to give good long term results. A quart of rubbing compound will last you a long long time if you are only using it for headlights. Take some rubbing compound, and buff it in using a clean microfiber cloth. Once you get all the lights you are doing done, throw the rag away. Do not re-use this rag! Rubbing compound is an abrasive compound. It is normally used by body shops to remove fine clear coat scratches. Using it on plastic takes a fine layer off of it. Do not worry, the lens of your headlights is plenty thick. Rubbing compound takes off maybe a hair or two thick layer of plastic.

After using rubbing compound on your lights, I recommend following it up with a good wax to protect it from UV damage. As long as you keep a good layer of wax on it, your clear lights should stay clear for months.

For a permanent fix to yellowing lights, start with rubbing compound. If they are sufficiently clear, then clear coat the lights. If they aren't sufficiently clear, then wet sand the lights with an increasing grit (start with about 1600 or so) and then clear coat. Note: wet sanding can remove scratches and some minor pitting

The clear coating is best done by a local body shop. You want to use quality automotive clear coat, e.g. not spray can clear coat. Once clear coated, the clear lens should stay clear for years.
Old 11-05-13, 11:27 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

does it come with the sealant? I used RainX sealant and it last for like 6-9 months (car parked outside all the time)
Old 11-05-13, 02:51 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
does it come with the sealant? I used RainX sealant and it last for like 6-9 months (car parked outside all the time)
it does, it comes with a one time use sealant "wipe" which is like one of those handi-wipes you get at a restaurant. Sounds cheesy, but it's all you really need I think.

Also, it has a 24 hour cure time and I screwed mine up trying to wash the car/headlights too soon. I'm going to have to redo it :/
Old 11-09-13, 06:49 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Tis is single-handedly the best detailed step-by-step on how to do this:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...storation.html
Old 11-09-13, 07:38 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Tis is single-handedly the best detailed step-by-step on how to do this:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...storation.html
Woah! Great write up! Thanks for the link! C'mon spring time!
Old 06-27-23, 11:01 AM
Brucecav
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im excited to start this project on my 2004 rx330. just over 300k miles and purring... Ill try to post some before and after pics here too.
Old 06-27-23, 01:26 PM
Hiptfarms
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for going to the trouble of writing this up. I always appreciate a first hand account of a product.