RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 Rack and Pinion Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 11:36 AM
farbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350 Rack and Pinion Problem

My car has approximately 64,000 miles on it. Just took it in for a 60,000 mile service and was informed that the car has a rack and pinion leakage and the entire gear box needs to be replaced for the low, low cost of $1,700. This on a car that is 6 years old and with only 64,000 miles on it! Ma friend of mine has the same model and he too experienced the same problem with similar repair estimates.

A few weeks ago, car was vandalized and the right rear view mirror was damaged. Replacement cost over $1,400 because some of the "acid" from the mirror spilled on to the door and the entire door needed to be repainted. This was not due to a manufacturer defect. However, the rack and pinion problem seems definitely to be a manufacturing defect.

When you buy Lexus and pay through the nose, you expect good long term reliability and trouble-free maintenance. After spending so much and doing regular maintenance and keeping the car in good working order, I feel let down by Lexus. I have been a Lexus owner for over ten years. Needless to say, I will NEVER EVER buy a Lexus again and will try to talk potential buyers out of it to the extent possible. In hindsight, I would have been better off with a Toyota at half the price I paid for the RX350.
Old 10-28-13, 12:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, farbill.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. There is a known weakness with the front rack which has been discussed at length here at CL. The discussion of the expense is long. There are, however, options. First, the Lexus dealership is not your only option. A suggestion would be to take it to a Toyota or other independent shop for a second, and even third, opinion. The use of a remanufactured rack instead of new will also save a good deal on the final cost without sacrificing longevity nor safety. Also, if the rack is not leaking all that much you do not need to be in a rush to have it repaired. If you know how to check the fluid level of the power steering reservoir you can keep an eye on the problem and it may not be of immediate concern. Finally, the dealer may be trying to make a fast buck, therefore the inspections by other shops. You are out of warranty, so there is no need to continue to use the Lexus dealership for your service needs.

While I will am not dismissing your situation as trivial, I will state that these things could have happened to most any vehicle and at most any cost on the market. Sure, there is strong evidence that Toyota/Lexus lost its way for a number of years when it comes to quality. Yet, you could point to Honda and others who were the stalwarts of quality past and see troublesome transmissions or other such expensive repair items. The way I look at my RX330 which I have owned since new is that I no longer make car payments on it so any repairs it does need are much less expensive. In the long run I will be well ahead of the game when it comes to repairs versus other makes and models. I have an independent shop whom I trust and gladly keeps me advised and ahead of any expensive needs.

If you use the search features here of the forums at CL you will find a great deal of information on this topic. Please take the time to read through these threads to educate yourself on the matter.
Old 03-17-14, 03:45 PM
Ottawa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have now encountered this problem with a 2005 RX330 in meticulous condition and low mileage. I was very disappointed to discover this leak and my independent repair shop here in Lakeland, FL (both competent and trust worthy) has provided me with an estimate of $1050 using an after market unit, which they represent is every bit as good as OEM; the Lexus dealership have quoted $1407, also for an after market installation. For the moment we are keeping a close watch but the likelihood of proceeding with the repair is on the more immediate horizon.
Old 03-17-14, 04:45 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by farbill
Needless to say, I will NEVER EVER buy a Lexus again and will try to talk potential buyers out of it to the extent possible. In hindsight, I would have been better off with a Toyota at half the price I paid for the RX350.
Just calm down. All vehicles will have issues at some point. You should have done your research before purchasing your RX as this is a very common issue. Mine has been leaking for 30k miles and steering is still fine. Check with an independent as rx330inFL suggests you can save a lot of money or might not even need to change it. If this ends up the only major problem with our cars, I'll take it.

Oh and news flash, the toyota at half the price (ie Highlander) shares the steering rack with our cars so it has THE SAME ISSUE.