RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Any Master Lexus techs chime in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 11:26 PM
MoparMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Master Lexus techs chime in

Okay, so heres a rant. I would like some insight, and I hope none of yall chiming in believe in shady mechanic work. I would like to know if this sounds like shady mechanic work or there is another unforeseen problem here. The Lexus was bought from a certified lexus dealership. It wouldnt pass emissions, so they had run tests and diagnostics (to my knowledge) and found out what the problem was. The check engine light was on along with the VSC and TRAC OFF light. They had been giving the run around for a couple days, as parts werent in, or the guy who was assigned? to the car was never in the shop but Lexus still let my girlfriend and her dad drive the car and they promised they would fix it. Anyway, a couple days go by, along with parts that we wanted fixed, like drivers side speaker and the "fly away panel" on the passanger side rear window. (Those never were fixed or even talked about at the dealer) So to my knowledge, they had changed out what had to do with emissions, like replaced O2s yada yada. Voila, car is fixed, passed emissions, and on its way.

I get a call today, those same lights came on. I get on here and do some research, and come to find out it can be many things. So when I get the car, I check the gas cap and thats good, because thats the first place I look since my truck had the same re-occuring problem. So I go have the cars codes read, and it stated "P0420" catalyst efficency below threshold on bank #1. If im not mistaken and and this sites information is correct and to my mechanic background that would lead me to believe the cat on the drivers side or the 02 sensor.

So my question is why would the dealership say that they had gotten parts and replaced nearly the entire emissions before letting it roll off the lot (legally) and then the same codes that were there before pop back up????

Also, the entire right side tail lights are out. Just went out, figured I would stick this in the same thread, and I was wondering if I can change out the 04 LED tails on it to the 06+ style tails? Is that possible?

Thanks for the responses you guys. I did my research and still shaking my head on weather to raise hell in the place, or to play it off as possibly another problem that just coinicidentally came up a month after the shop claims its fixed. I do not practice shady mechanic work, and when I see it it turns me from 0 to pissed off really fast.
Old 10-19-13, 09:14 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I would look at the O2 sensor after the CAT. Have a look at this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sue-p0420.html

Ask the shop what all they replaced. Make them show you any work receipt they have as they should have something for the workorder. Am going to guess this sensor was not replaced. Call them on it. They said they would fix it and obviously they did not.
Old 10-19-13, 09:43 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Read my post on the P0420 code. It will help you.
Old 10-20-13, 09:04 PM
MoparMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, well it has disappeared.........So im going to wait and see what happens