RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wires to tap for LED signal mirrors

Old 10-09-13, 03:21 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wires to tap for LED signal mirrors

Need location and color of wires.

Last edited by stevies30; 10-09-13 at 08:06 PM. Reason: i found the answer to my question
Old 10-09-13, 04:33 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the one from Nigel ? Isn't that information on his instructions ? Otherwise you need to trace
Old 10-09-13, 08:12 PM
stevies30
Driver

Yeah I traced them mowmow. Thanks for your reply. I lost Nigel's instructions somewhere along the line. Got it all hooked up and the driver's side looks great but the passenger side doesn't work at all, neither the signal or the puddle light. It worked before I installed it so I don't know what's wrong. I sure hate to tear that door apart and troubleshoot this thing. Front and back signals work but nothing from the mirror. :-(
Old 10-10-13, 05:38 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevies30
Yeah I traced them mowmow. Thanks for your reply. I lost Nigel's instructions somewhere along the line. Got it all hooked up and the driver's side looks great but the passenger side doesn't work at all, neither the signal or the puddle light. It worked before I installed it so I don't know what's wrong. I sure hate to tear that door apart and troubleshoot this thing. Front and back signals work but nothing from the mirror. :-(
Maybe the polarity is reversed on the passenger side......LED lights have to have aligned positive to positive and the negative to negative.

Also, are you going to post up your wiring connections for others here on the forum?
Old 10-10-13, 05:47 PM
CRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is on my mod list. Wiring connection info would be a big help!
Old 10-10-13, 07:13 PM
jixxer74
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stevies,

When you have it complete, do you mind posting some pics and where you purchased them. Thanks and good luck.
Old 10-10-13, 07:34 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jixxer74
Stevies,

When you have it complete, do you mind posting some pics and where you purchased them. Thanks and good luck.
I have a set in the garage that I need to install.....just have not had a chance to tackle that one yet.
Old 10-11-13, 05:39 PM
RX330iPad
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in seeing how it compares to mine:
Old 10-14-13, 06:24 AM
stevies30
Driver

I got them from Nigel last year and just haven't had the time to work on it until now. He did a great job on the paint and the fit is just fine so I'm extremely happy with how they look. Defo you might be right about the polarity. I was thinking I might not have a good ground but I'll reverse the polarity and see what happens. I promise to post pics and wiring information when I get them both working.
Old 10-14-13, 08:43 AM
stevies30
Driver

Okay guys I found the problem. I totally removed the wires hooked up on the nonworking side and redid them. The mirror signal is now working so the power wire and/or the ground wire was not making a good connection. Puddle light is still not working and I wired it into the door sill so it will fade in and out when the door is opened like the driver's side does. Apparently I don't have a good connection somewhere there either so i'll pull up the sill and recheck those connections. I hooked up the driver's side first and by the time I got to the passenger side I was getting tired and got in a hurry which obviously was a bad thing to do. Will post pictures after I get the passenger puddle light working. Or if I have trouble I'll give up on it and post pictures anyway, lol.
Old 10-23-13, 05:31 PM
stevies30
Driver

Here are a couple of pictures with just the puddle light on and with puddle and signal both on. (thanks mow). Thanks to everyone who helped me get these things on and functioning. I'm very pleased with the way they work and the way they look. By the way, the puddle lights fade out with the courtesy lights which is how I wired them up.

Last edited by stevies30; 06-30-20 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 07:03 PM
defo
Intermediate

Looks good.....now help everyone else out, and tell us which wires you tapped

Especially for the turn signals......tapping into the door sills is straight forward, since there are only 2 wires.

I want to get my mirror covers installed ASAP!
Old 10-23-13, 08:01 PM
stevies30
Driver

I tapped into a black and silver wire (for the left turn signal) in the wiring box of the driver side footwell. It's in the first big relay on the left side of the wiring box. The other wire (for the right turn signal) is a green and silver wire in the same relay. You'll have to test the wires to find which one because there are two green and silver wires. I ended up running the wires from the passenger side mirror through the firewall (there is a grommet in the firewall of the passenger footwell) and wired directly to the front signal light wire which is green and silver and grounded it to a 10mm bolt by the headlight. I found out that getting a good ground is really important so I grounded both sides to bolts for really good grounds. If you're not sure what wire relay you need to tap into there is a thread on here you can search and find or let me know and I'll describe it in more detail or give you a thread link. I also have pics of the passenger side wire relay that you have to disassemble so if you forget what wires go where I have good pics of that. My RX is a 2008 model with navigation and Mark Levinson sound system and I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the wiring design or not. Probably not for the signal light system. If I can be of more help let me know.

Originally Posted by defo
Looks good.....now help everyone else out, and tell us which wires you tapped

Especially for the turn signals......tapping into the door sills is straight forward, since there are only 2 wires.

I want to get my mirror covers installed ASAP!

Last edited by stevies30; 10-24-13 at 12:52 PM. Reason: more specifics
Old 10-24-13, 10:30 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevies30
I tapped into a black and silver wire (for the left turn signal) in the wiring box of the driver side footwell. It's in the first big relay on the left side of the wiring box. The other wire (for the right turn signal) is a green and silver wire in the same relay. You'll have to test the wires to find which one because there are two green and silver wires. I ended up running the wires from the passenger side mirror through the firewall (there is a grommet in the firewall of the passenger footwell) and wired directly to the front signal light wire which is green and silver and grounded it to a 10mm bolt by the headlight. I found out that getting a good ground is really important so I grounded both sides to bolts for really good grounds. If you're not sure what wire relay you need to tap into there is a thread on here you can search and find or let me know and I'll describe it in more detail or give you a thread link. I also have pics of the passenger side wire relay that you have to disassemble so if you forget what threads go where I have good pics of that. My RX is a 2008 model with navigation and Mark Levinson sound system and I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the wiring design or not. Probably not for the signal light system. If I can be of more help let me know.
Great job!
Old 10-24-13, 12:46 PM
stevies30
Driver

Here is a picture of the passenger side mirror relay which might help some of you if you're going to disassemble it to get your mirror off and pull your wires out of the door

Last edited by stevies30; 06-30-20 at 07:02 PM.