RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Oil filter housing stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 04:43 PM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter housing stuck!

I thought it's going to be an easy oil change. Got the car 5000 miles ago so I didn't do the previous oil change.

Tried to use the el cheapo filter wrench...broke it.

Then bought a beefier one...broke that too.

Found
this this
at a local Toyota parts dept. Broke that too!

Going to the dealership tomorrow morning to have them replace filter. This is ridiculous!
Old 10-08-13, 05:18 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess by the part you ordered on Amazon you have a 2007 RX350. That vehicle uses a filter element. Perhaps the previous owner super tightened the filter housing and maybe didn't change the O-Ring. This is most unusual, please report back the dealership findings.
Old 10-09-13, 06:18 AM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I guess by the part you ordered on Amazon you have a 2007 RX350. That vehicle uses a filter element. Perhaps the previous owner super tightened the filter housing and maybe didn't change the O-Ring. This is most unusual, please report back the dealership findings.
Will do.

My question is, can they just replace the filter without draining the oil? I've heard that I'll only lose about a qt of oil, not sure if that's true. I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 10-09-13, 07:33 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EDness
Will do.

My question is, can they just replace the filter without draining the oil? I've heard that I'll only lose about a qt of oil, not sure if that's true. I guess I'll find out soon.
yes you can and if you read on 'bob is the oil guy' forums, plenty of people run 10k miles on the same synthetic oil and change their filter at 5k. You'll only lose ~1/3 quart or whatever is in the filter element/housing.
Old 10-09-13, 08:14 AM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
yes you can and if you read on 'bob is the oil guy' forums, plenty of people run 10k miles on the same synthetic oil and change their filter at 5k. You'll only lose ~1/3 quart or whatever is in the filter element/housing.
thanks!

Yea I read it on there about it. I told the dealership and initially the advisor said no but I told him about this and he asked the tech. They are not charging me for this. They'll just replace the filter and top off the oil.
Old 10-09-13, 09:27 AM
alchemist
Instructor

thanks!

Yea I read it on there about it. I told the dealership and initially the advisor said no but I told him about this and he asked the tech. They are not charging me for this. They'll just replace the filter and top off the oil.
Good for you. Your inquiry on here probably saved you a $100 oil change.

They probably didnt expect you to know it could be done.
Old 10-09-13, 01:13 PM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alchemist
Good for you. Your inquiry on here probably saved you a $100 oil change.

They probably didnt expect you to know it could be done.

yea they hate me for knowing so much...i'm their worse type of customer.

I just hope I can get the filter housing off next time. Now that's done, I can do my second ATF drain/refill. Did that 5000 miles ago and it was easier than an oil change.
Old 10-09-13, 02:13 PM
Rainbird

If you have a 2007 RX350 it would only use Toyota World Standard (WS) transmission fluid. That fluid is rated as good for the life of the vehicle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus WS Fluid.pdf (18.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 10-09-13, 03:19 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rainbird
If you have a 2007 RX350 it would only use Toyota World Standard (WS) transmission fluid. That fluid is rated as good for the life of the vehicle.
While I understand why you make this statement, it is highly controversial and something I am dealing with for my GS350 with 95k miles which has a sealed tranny - do I change the fluid or not? It is suppose to have WS fluid that last a long time right? Although not exposed to air/water it is exposed to heat/cold. I believe it should be changed. I question the claim of 'life of vehicle'. What is that life - 100k miles, 200k, 300k, 10 years, 20years? Most people sell their cars at 100k and 5-6 years of use. I have decided to soon change my GS350 ATF and will send a sample off for analysis. It will be interesting to see what shape the fluid is in. I plan to keep my car to 250k miles.

I apologize for getting off topic from the original intent of the thread.

Last edited by alchemist; 10-09-13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 03:36 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

filters are only supposed to be put on hand tight. i bet almost every single oil filter out there is installed tighter than required. hey, i do it too. id rather it be a little tight than leak from there, even though it might not ever leak.

have you used one of these?

if you used that and broke it, then ****!!!

i changed my oil filter on my sc after it being garaged for over 4 years and i probably overtightened it on the last oil change. didnt have my (one in the filter) wrench, had to do the old, stab it with a screw driver and loosen it that way.

it took about a few hours to remove the damn filter! because there wasnt much room to work with. but finally got it...
Old 10-09-13, 03:43 PM
Rainbird

This "lifetime" WS fluid has been discussed in this forum many times. Lexus started using the WS fluid in the RX starting with the 2007 model year. They say lifetime, but many owners here change it at the 90K service. Mine was changed at 60K because of a leaking transmission gasket. I just pointed it out because the OP indicated he was going to change every 5K miles. I also hope he used WS and and not Type IV.
Old 10-09-13, 03:49 PM
alchemist
Instructor

yeah 5k is overkill, but I think he said it was done 5k miles ago not every 5k miles.
Old 10-09-13, 03:50 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by ProperD
filters are only supposed to be put on hand tight. i bet almost every single oil filter out there is installed tighter than required. hey, i do it too. id rather it be a little tight than leak from there, even though it might not ever leak.

have you used one of these?
The oil change procedure it totally different starting with the RX350 Here is a DIY oil change procedure with PICTURES. The GS350 and RX350 are done the same way. The old spin off disposable type oil filter went away in 2007, when Lexus started using a cartridge type oil filter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html
Old 10-10-13, 05:39 AM
EDness
Driver School Candidate

I did change the ATF 5000 miles ago, I'm going to do it again so I can get cleaner fluids in the transmission. After this change I plan on changing it at 100k(I have 85k on the car) then I'm good for awhile. It's so easy, it's just a simple drain/refill. $40.

WS is supposed to be lifetime. I'm sure it'll work for 100k or even 150k, but when I drained the ATF the first time, it made a huge difference in the smoothness of shifts. Also when compared to the new fluid, the color's not even close. I also own a 4runner and people are changing the ATF out as well. It also uses WS, but it's a sealed tranny so that took a little longer.
Old 10-10-13, 05:58 AM
alchemist
Instructor

I did change the ATF 5000 miles ago, I'm going to do it again so I can get cleaner fluids in the transmission. After this change I plan on changing it at 100k(I have 85k on the car) then I'm good for awhile. It's so easy, it's just a simple drain/refill. $40.

WS is supposed to be lifetime. I'm sure it'll work for 100k or even 150k, but when I drained the ATF the first time, it made a huge difference in the smoothness of shifts. Also when compared to the new fluid, the color's not even close. I also own a 4runner and people are changing the ATF out as well. It also uses WS, but it's a sealed tranny so that took a little longer.
Correct. For my GS350 and my dad's Tundra which have 'sealed' trannys, we both used a friend's BG PF5 machine to do a flush with WS fluid.

http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

Quick Reply: Oil filter housing stuck!