RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

what do I do after buying a used 2007 rx350?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 02:03 PM
tonyhw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what do I do after buying a used 2007 rx350?

Hi everyone,
I just bought a used RX350 2007 from an auto body repair shop. It had been in an accident before. It had front end damage, probably was going at around 40mph. This is going to be my first car. I did some research about what I need to do after buying a used car. I learned that I should change the fluids (oil,antifreeze,etc), and do a tune-up (replacing the spark plugs and stuff).

I'm only 18, so my dad will help me with the easy oil change and stuff, but he doesn't know much about tuning it up, so can someone tell me what I need to do? If you tell me what parts I need to replace and stuff, I can just youtube/google tutorials.

I want to make this car as new as I can, so that I can be able to take care of it. I heard that it's like $1000 for tune-up, so I'd rather do that myself if it's easy or if I can find a tutorial online.

Thank you for helping me,
Tony
Old 10-03-13, 02:20 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyhw
Hi everyone,
I just bought a used RX350 2007 from an auto body repair shop. It had been in an accident before. It had front end damage, probably was going at around 40mph. This is going to be my first car. I did some research about what I need to do after buying a used car. I learned that I should change the fluids (oil,antifreeze,etc), and do a tune-up (replacing the spark plugs and stuff).

I'm only 18, so my dad will help me with the easy oil change and stuff, but he doesn't know much about tuning it up, so can someone tell me what I need to do? If you tell me what parts I need to replace and stuff, I can just youtube/google tutorials.

I want to make this car as new as I can, so that I can be able to take care of it. I heard that it's like $1000 for tune-up, so I'd rather do that myself if it's easy or if I can find a tutorial online.

Tony
A lot of this info can be find either in the manual of the vehicle or searching this site first. I would suggest the latter as your exact question has come up and been discussed countless times. Here is also a DIY thread to help you get started.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ate-links.html

Now get out there an pick up some ladies. You should be able to get at least 4 girls in the RX.
Old 10-03-13, 02:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, tonyhw.

As mentioned by alchemist, go to the DIY thread here in the 2nd Generation RX forum to access a great deal of information from others here at CL. Also, do not be afraid to pick and choose your battles. The spark plugs, for example, are not easy to get to the rear bank even for the most experienced DIY folks and even more so if you do not have the proper tools for the job. Sometimes it is best to just let a qualified shop perform the work. You do not have to use the Lexus dealership for any of this work if you do not wish. A local Toyota or independent shop you trust is fine.

You do not mention how many miles you have on your RX350. Besides spark plugs at 120K miles and filters, there is not really a "tune-up." Check the cabin air filter. Check the engine air filter.

Be sure to go to the Lexus Owners web site to register your vehicle. There you will be able to view any service performed at Lexus dealerships and any recall information. Have your VIN available to enter into the system.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do
Old 10-04-13, 08:54 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Check all fluids first. I had experience of low engine oil with a used car.
2) CHeck tire wear and see there is any uneven wear pattern, IF you did find you need to go for alignment check.
3) Check tire thread, break pads and rotors
4) Check the service records mentioned by RX330inFL
Old 10-05-13, 09:09 AM
Tree41987
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just saying Welcome.

Originally Posted by tonyhw
Hi everyone,

Tony
Welcome Tony, name is tree i've been on CL for a week now and searched it up and down looking for a new person who just got a RX. the DIY thread is the most useful thread ive seen by far. unless someone else knows another useful one that can be of service to us. Welcome and good luck with your new RX.