Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rear strut nut retrieval

Old 09-28-13, 11:08 AM   #1
Denvermgb
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Rear strut nut retrieval

I am replacing the struts on my 04 RX330. I dropped a top mount nut inside the rear cargo area. It fell down inside the covering over the rear top mount and is inside. What part(s) do I need to remove to retrieve the nut? Thanks in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Denvermgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 10:01 AM   #2
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Honestly friend, I would simply go buy a replacement nut. Take one with you and match it. You have to remove a lot of the interior panels and cargo covers etc. lots of trouble for a simple nut.
Old 09-29-13, 05:42 PM   #3
Denvermgb
Rookie

Yep, did that. I figure that nut will make a lot of rattles. After two long test drives, no rattles yet. I figure I may as well get in there and retrieve the nut as I get to know my RX.
I did all four struts with KYB's. Also, replaced the front sway bar end links with Moog parts, nice parts with grease nipples. Really improved ride now.
Old 09-29-13, 06:01 PM   #4
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermgb View Post
Yep, did that. I figure that nut will make a lot of rattles. After two long test drives, no rattles yet. I figure I may as well get in there and retrieve the nut as I get to know my RX.
I did all four struts with KYB's. Also, replaced the front sway bar end links with Moog parts, nice parts with grease nipples. Really improved ride now.
Be sure to come back and let us know about your experiences with the KYB parts once you have a few miles on them. There was a previous thread where the owner had new struts installed and was not very happy afterwards.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-s...er-ensues.html
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 06:11 PM   #5
Denvermgb
Rookie

Just read that thread, not my experience thus far. The KYB's are nice but not like a truck ride at all, nice and smooth.
Old 09-29-13, 07:27 PM   #6
dcdyd
Pole Position

I am not sure how deep it fell. May be a pickup tool with magnetic head can be used? In the past I worked on another car and one nuts fell into the intake and I used a flexible pickup tool with magnetic head for picking it up. If I remember it correct, the tool I used was about 2 ft long.
dcdyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 07:35 PM   #7
Denvermgb
Rookie

I have a flexible tool with a magnetic end and tried that but could not get the not out of the area where the nut fell.
Old 09-29-13, 08:13 PM   #8
RX330inFL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvermgb View Post
I have a flexible tool with a magnetic end and tried that but could not get the not out of the area where the nut fell.
I believe this is a perfect example of Murphy's Law in action. Something about the dropped part will fall to the most inaccessible location of the vehicle.
RX330inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 08:13 PM