RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-09-15, 11:27 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

RX330 AfterMarket Head/Tail lights

Old 09-27-13, 04:22 PM
moonami
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 AfterMarket Head/Tail lights

Hello all,
I've been lurking for quite some time here but finally have a question.
I have a 05 RX330 and am looking to "modernize" it a bit by adding CCFL Halo headlights and LED tail lights in black. I have read up on baking the headlights, also saw a few reviews about lightwerkz.
My concern is; I have HID with AFS and am worried that if I swap to aftermarket (barring lighwerks) this would no longer be functional?

i.e.: http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...nzo-Headlights
speaking w their CS, she was not clear if they would work.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-13, 06:20 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by the looks of things, you would lose your swiveling headlights, but you might want to forgo that option in order to have a more attractive headlight.

but for that price, i personally think you are crazy. i would just get handy and DIY some LEDs inside,
Old 09-28-13, 05:29 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also been thinking about new headlights....but not sure I want to lose my steering projectors.

But, these are what I've looking at for a while.

Old 11-05-13, 10:45 AM
moonami
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to revive an old thread. So what about a BHLM on the RX330 headlights with AFS? Is it possible? I've read many threads on BHLMs but they do not specify if their lights are HID w AFS.
I baked my Tundra headlights and it went smoothly, I'm hoping this is possible with these lights?
Old 11-05-13, 08:01 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moonami
Sorry to revive an old thread. So what about a BHLM on the RX330 headlights with AFS? Is it possible? I've read many threads on BHLMs but they do not specify if their lights are HID w AFS.
I baked my Tundra headlights and it went smoothly, I'm hoping this is possible with these lights?
Maybe you should write out the full meaning of the acronym....at least the first time you use one......I have no idea what BHLM means

Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 11-05-13, 08:16 PM
moonami
Driver School Candidate

Ah. My apologies. BlackHeadLightMod. Basically baking the headlight, peeling them apart, spraying the chrome w your color of choice then resealing. It's easy w standard lights however I'm unsure with HID-AFS-auto leveling.
Old 11-05-13, 08:21 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moonami
Ah. My apologies. BlackHeadLightMod. Basically baking the headlight, peeling them apart, spraying the chrome w your color of choice then resealing. It's easy w standard lights however I'm unsure with HID-AFS-auto leveling.
Okay...that makes more sense.

You can probably do the same thing with an AFS light......if you notice (upon headlight start-up) the trim piece has a large opening around the main beam, and the projector swivels around freely.

So in theory, you should be able to separate the trim piece, paint it, and not effect the AFS projectors.
Old 11-06-13, 09:36 AM
CRD
Driver School Candidate

What's the deal with the tri-lens headlights? Are these OEM? Any reviews, does anyone own a set?
Old 11-06-13, 12:20 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moonami - CCFL halos are not that modern anymore, they are a pain in the butt because it depends on the luck of your draw, the ballast can easily go out and you will be in a endless money pit replacing the ballasts. I had it on my other car before and they go out all the time, it's a drag.

I recommend to stay away from aftermarket headlights completely just because the quality is not the same, the cutoff line from the projector won't be as good, LED can go out,etc. Get a retrofit done instead, as far as painting goes, Lexus/Toyota's chrome coating on headlight housing is not that good so if you decide to paint, paint the whole housing, you might also want to consider getting a bodyshop to do this after you take the housing apart.
Old 11-06-13, 01:05 PM
moonami
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the insight guys. Very true on the aftermarket headlights. I've gone thru an ordeal with some aftermarket CCFLs for my Tundra. 4 different sets had to be sent and all defective!
I'm looking to bake the stock lights and completely paint the inside (plasti-dip)
I'm hoping the procedure will go as follows: Pull out headlight. Bake. Pry apart. Dip/Paint. Reseal. Install.
My main concern with this process is the addition of AFS, Leveling and HID. with my Tundra lights it was basically plug and play.
Old 11-07-13, 08:35 AM
defo
Intermediate

The aftermarket headlight I posted, does not have CCFLs...the blue plastic rings are not illuminated at all.

It is just a different shape headlight, made to look similar to the Lexus LS600h, and newer in age

And I'm sure the projector beam is lousy compared to OEM.....ideally, I want to purchase this set, and retro-fit my main AFS projector into them.
Old 11-09-13, 01:47 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

moonami, you can check out both of my retrofits one on a scion and the other on RX400h, maybe you can get someone to do a retrofit for you
Old 11-09-13, 02:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What do the rear LED taillights look like? Technically you already have LED's in your taillights. Yes, even the RX330 has LED's in the taillights and not just the RX400h. Anyway, it all depends on how they look for the taillights. for the headlights I'd stick with the stock HID.
Old 11-12-13, 04:19 PM
moonami
Driver School Candidate

Defo, are those available to buy?

mowmow, damn those HLs look really nice.

CK6Speed, the TLs, I'm not too concerned with, unless I can bake them and paint the chrome.

My RX330 is in perfect condition with VERY low miles. the only eye sore are the headlights. I'd really like to get a black housing instead of the chrome.
I'm tempted on sending them to lightwerkz, but it'll be difficult to not have a car for 2-3weeks!
Old 11-14-13, 04:37 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

Can you let me know what you think of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Herrier-Kluger-Lexus-RX330-300-LED-Headlight-for-Manual-adjustment-03-08-Silver-/231043057601?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cb3d47c1&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails RX330 AfterMarket Head/Tail lights-t2ec16fhjgoffvjq9o-dbsh-6wkl-60_3.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX330 AfterMarket Head/Tail lights