RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Toyota delaer wants $350 for timing belt change, or add $400 for water pump???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 02:25 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota delaer wants $350 for timing belt change, or add $400 for water pump???

So, does my 2006 RX330 with 100K not require the same level of work to get to the timing belt as most other cars do? Both the Toyota and Lexus dealers said that the water pump does not need to be replaced when the timing belt is changed, but can simply be looked at for signs of failure.
I always heard that the labor to get to the timing belt is so involved that it only makes sense to replace the water pump at the same time, since you are already there, thereby avoiding to have to repeat the same labor requirments at a later time when the water pump goes.
If the Toyota shop is quoting me $350 to switch out the timing belt, should I just do that, and then worry about the water pump later, especially since they want $400 more to do this on top of the timing belt?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-13, 04:49 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7
I always heard that the labor to get to the timing belt is so involved that it only makes sense to replace the water pump at the same time, since you are already there, thereby avoiding to have to repeat the same labor requirments at a later time when the water pump goes.
That has always been my understanding too.
But I'm also surprised to hear of "only" $350 for the belt.
I had a look at the DIY posts, and I was considering to make it myself when it will be due on my RX.
But at $350, I think I wouldn't bother.
Interested to hear other views on the pump, though.
If that's the quotation they gave you under the assumption of replacing it while changing also the belt, I would think that most of those $400 (if not all) are the part cost - which is hard to reduce also with a DIY job...
Old 09-23-13, 05:12 AM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

No, it sounded like the $400 for the water pump job would be the same price with or without the timing belt job. And btw, I just checked my notes, and it is actually $310 for the timing belt job alone, not $350.
Old 09-23-13, 05:23 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What if you offer to supply them with the water pump part(s)? Ask them how much in labor they'd charge to install it while doing the timing belt.

Hope the new water pump is as reliable as the original one that works fine even after 100K miles.

Sent from an Android device using IB AutoGroup forum reader.
Old 09-23-13, 07:37 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

When I asked about this repair of the local Lexus dealers some time in the past I was told that they only inspect the water pump and that in their opinion the water pump was usually good until the second time the timing belt needed to be replaced or about 180K miles.

However, it has been common practice over the years to replace the water pump, seals, etc. at the time you replace the timing belt as you already had everything apart and it saved you the labor of having to do the same exact thing again to take the water pump back off.
Old 09-23-13, 09:47 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
What if you offer to supply them with the water pump part(s)? Ask them how much in labor they'd charge to install it while doing the timing belt.
The OP says the work would be done by a Lexus or Toyota dealership. They simply will not install a part brought in by the customer (aftermarket or OEM).
Old 09-23-13, 10:34 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am at 100k and was also considering the water pump. I decided not to do it because it is low risk. When they fail they slowly leak pink fluid from the weep hole. In the old days water pumps were under more pressure from an accessory belt that also ran the AC. Our water pump is driven by the timing belt which is not nearly under the same tension. We also have better lubricants in our coolant.
Old 09-23-13, 12:51 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

You can get an OEM water pump for $60 shipped. Not sure how they are coming up with $400.

You need to look into this.
Old 09-23-13, 01:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alchemist
You can get an OEM water pump for $60 shipped. Not sure how they are coming up with $400.

You need to look into this.
Well, first of all while you might be able to purchase an OEM water pump for $60 (though I am unsure where) the retail price of said part is $176 according to the Sewell web site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html

Even with a healthy discount when you add shipping it is going to cost you a bit. Perhaps you could find a third-party unit on eBay. Plus, don't forget about the gasket. And just because you can purchase at that price doesn't mean the shop is using that source. Many get their parts from a set list of distribution and dealer part system warehouses. Then they will want to add their mark up on the price of the part as well. After all, you will want some warranty on that repair job and the shop needs to be comfortable with the quality of the parts used. They do not have to accept any work should you walk in with parts you want installed -- it is their shop.

Next, when a shop quotes you for a repair job they use the book (now a computer and software system) which indicates the labor for the job. This value is most always much more than the amount of time it actually takes for the job. Regardless of how much time it takes, you get charged the book rate for the job. Most shops operate this way. While you have to take the water pump off to get to the timing belt, this particular shop is probably charging the timing belt and water pump as two separate jobs. Meaning that whatever the book rate is for each job is what is being charge. More profit for them and an industry norm.

A more expensively sourced part with a labor charge by the book easily explains why the water pump quote came in at $400.

Now of course most everything is negotiable. Customers need to understand the work being performed, what they are being charged, and to get multiple quotes if possible for any necessary repairs. If you explain that you know they are double charging for most of the labor perhaps they will give you a break on the price of the repair.
Old 09-23-13, 04:54 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Well, first of all while you might be able to purchase an OEM water pump for $60 (though I am unsure where) the retail price of said part is $176 according to the Sewell web site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html

Even with a healthy discount when you add shipping it is going to cost you a bit. Perhaps you could find a third-party unit on eBay. Plus, don't forget about the gasket. And just because you can purchase at that price doesn't mean the shop is using that source. Many get their parts from a set list of distribution and dealer part system warehouses. Then they will want to add their mark up on the price of the part as well. After all, you will want some warranty on that repair job and the shop needs to be comfortable with the quality of the parts used. They do not have to accept any work should you walk in with parts you want installed -- it is their shop.

Next, when a shop quotes you for a repair job they use the book (now a computer and software system) which indicates the labor for the job. This value is most always much more than the amount of time it actually takes for the job. Regardless of how much time it takes, you get charged the book rate for the job. Most shops operate this way. While you have to take the water pump off to get to the timing belt, this particular shop is probably charging the timing belt and water pump as two separate jobs. Meaning that whatever the book rate is for each job is what is being charge. More profit for them and an industry norm.

A more expensively sourced part with a labor charge by the book easily explains why the water pump quote came in at $400.

Now of course most everything is negotiable. Customers need to understand the work being performed, what they are being charged, and to get multiple quotes if possible for any necessary repairs. If you explain that you know they are double charging for most of the labor perhaps they will give you a break on the price of the repair.
Understood. And I have done this myself on multiple cars and have had it done for me as well so I am familiar with the process as well as how mechanics and shops charge. I have never been charged for water pump labor (even at Lexus dealer) as long as you are getting the belt changed at the same time. Simply put, he needs to search around for a reliable mechanic to do the work.

I do not purchase from Sewell. They are still pricey. And yes, you can get an Aisin pump on ebay or Rock Auto with gaskets for 60 shipped unless you live in Uzbekistan.
Old 09-23-13, 06:15 PM
HokieCJ7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your advice. It makes perfect sense for them to be charging the water pump as it is a separate job now, as yes a $400 water pump should be made of gold.... I will contact an independent shop in the area to see what they would want to do the job.It only makes sense that if old parts have to be removed for the timing belt job, to just charge me for the parts, and no additional labor for putting it back together.
Old 09-23-13, 07:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by alchemist
Understood. And I have done this myself on multiple cars and have had it done for me as well so I am familiar with the process as well as how mechanics and shops charge. I have never been charged for water pump labor (even at Lexus dealer) as long as you are getting the belt changed at the same time. Simply put, he needs to search around for a reliable mechanic to do the work.

I do not purchase from Sewell. They are still pricey. And yes, you can get an Aisin pump on ebay or Rock Auto with gaskets for 60 shipped unless you live in Uzbekistan.
As much an explanation for the non-DIY crowd than anything else, but the OP had asked about the legitimacy of the quotes from the dealers they visited. You stated that you were not sure how they came up with the $400 quote. My post was an attempt to provide a reasonable explanation. If quoted as a separate job, at $100+ per hour labor rates and retail pricing for the parts you get there very fast. Go with the full kit to include the necessary seals, pulleys, add coolant and a thermostat and you are over $500 retail in parts for both jobs before you even talk about the labor charge.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/4638.html

While you have been lucky to not have experienced a dealer charging in such a manner the forums here are full of folks who have had exactly this happen. Quotes for such work posted here at CL have exceeded $1200-$1400 if not more, such as:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ater-pump.html

Agreed that the OP needs to shop this around, ask questions and get to know exactly what work is being performed and at what price.
Old 09-23-13, 08:53 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

Get everything replaced associated with the t-belt, like water pump, gasket, tensioners, etc. It only makes sense to have all that stuff replaced while in there to get the t-belt done. Why have a new belt and then a pump with over 100k miles?
Old 09-24-13, 03:44 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local Toyo dealer just quoted me $880 for new timing belt, water pump, coolant, mount and balance 4 tires (tires purchased separate), and wheel alignment. 2004 RX330 with 86,000 miles.
Old 09-24-13, 09:16 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HokieCJ7
Thanks all for your advice. It makes perfect sense for them to be charging the water pump as it is a separate job now, as yes a $400 water pump should be made of gold....
At well over $1K/ounce? That would be a steal.

Quick Reply: Toyota delaer wants $350 for timing belt change, or add $400 for water pump???