RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx 330 2005 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 07:16 AM
sokolik9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 330 2005 Tires

Can someone please tell me the best brand of tires to get for my 2005 rx330? I have had really bad luck with previous brands. Thank-you
Old 08-08-13, 08:14 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. Tires is one of the most discussed on this forum. Use the "Search This Forum" link to find prior discussions. For example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...new-tires.html
Old 08-08-13, 10:29 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sokolik9
Can someone please tell me the best brand of tires to get for my 2005 rx330? I have had really bad luck with previous brands.
Tires can vary by model within a brand. What brands and models have you used in the past? What are your priorities? What's your budget? Always be very clear on your criteria and don't just assume that your notion of best is universal no matter what the topic. If one tire was best for everyone then we'd all use the exact same tire.
Old 08-08-13, 01:55 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Bridgestone Ecopia, FTW!
Old 08-08-13, 04:09 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

As far as brands in general I've had good luck with Goodyear, not with Bridgestones (don't last as long) and Dunlop. Have Michelins now on another car, expecting great things from their reputation.
Old 08-08-13, 04:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi74
Tires can vary by model within a brand. What brands and models have you used in the past? What are your priorities? What's your budget? Always be very clear on your criteria and don't just assume that your notion of best is universal no matter what the topic. If one tire was best for everyone then we'd all use the exact same tire.
Agreed. We also do not know what size wheels the OP has either. 17" or 18"? Believe many of us here would provide different answers for those two available wheel sizes. Would also want to know more about expected weather conditions the vehicle might see. For example, while I live in FL I have spent some winters back home in PA at the cabin. So, the tire I chose, the Bridgestone Alenza, had to do well as an all-season snow capable tire in addition to handling the hot temperatures and heavy rain conditions here in FL. However, if I lived in San Diego where the weather is temperate I would have possibly looked at a different tire. CA has quite the range of climates.

Originally Posted by RX3302004
As far as brands in general I've had good luck with Goodyear, not with Bridgestones (don't last as long) and Dunlop. Have Michelins now on another car, expecting great things from their reputation.
FWIW, I have 50K on my Alenzas at the moment and still have plenty of life left in them. As I am not putting all that many miles on my RX these days, maybe 250 miles a month, they will probably rot out before tread depth indicates they need replacing. Not knocking your selection(s), just stating that what does not work for one may work very well for someone else.
Old 08-09-13, 04:22 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Not knocking your selection(s), just stating that what does not work for one may work very well for someone else.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Just had Bridgestones on 2 vehicles and didn't get enough miles out of them so I will try elsewhere. Goodyear has the contract for my work vehicle and they last and I've had no issues. Expect I will stick with them or Michelins once I see how my current other vehicle does.
Old 08-09-13, 05:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX3302004
Totally agree. Just had Bridgestones on 2 vehicles and didn't get enough miles out of them so I will try elsewhere. Goodyear has the contract for my work vehicle and they last and I've had no issues. Expect I will stick with them or Michelins once I see how my current other vehicle does.
There have been several reports here in the 2nd Generation forum from some who have the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring and have good things to say about them.
Old 08-13-13, 08:03 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock Michelin is good for me.

Michelin - Defender XT™ is newer replacement for the stock Michelins, 225/65R17 from Costco - quite satisfied with them.
Old 08-13-13, 08:51 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

My experience with about 175K on our 2004 RX330 AWD with 18" tires.

-Michelin Energy MXV S8 (2 sets) - both sets worn out around 30,000 miles
-Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (2 sets) - worn out at around 38,000-40,000 miles
-Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (1 set) - at 4-5/32 with just over 35,000 miles

From our experience, the Goodyear has been the best tire of all we have tried. It was as quiet as the Michelin and provided very good all-season traction.

The Alenza was the loudest of the group, especially as the tread started to wear. It had good all-season traction, but the noise was a bit more than I cared for.

Getting ready for new tread (again) and I am going with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. With a UTQG of 640, it will be interesting to see if we get anything beyond about 35,000-40,000 miles.

Last edited by cdnewton; 08-13-13 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-14-13, 07:11 PM
Castle4U
Driver School Candidate

Question 2005 RX 330 AWD Tires

I would like some feedback as well regarding tires. My RX330 had the stock Michelin's on when I bought it and they have never been really quiet but they are getting really noisy I guess because it's time to replace them. I looked at the reviews for the new Michelin MXV4 Energy and the wet performance is poor. As a REALTOR I drive a lot of miles in all sorts of weather so I need something that has good wet traction, is QUIET so that I can hear while using my Bluetooth and won't cause me to have poor mileage. I have the 235/55r18 tires and I've got my eye on the Cooper CS4 Touring (H/V Rated) 100V based on the reviews of the tread life, wet traction and quietness on TireCrawler and some other forums. Has anyone else bought these tires yet and if so, how do you like them? Have you seen a drop in fuel efficiency since buying them?
Old 08-14-13, 07:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Welcome to Club Lexus. Tires is one of the most discussed on this forum. Use the "Search This Forum" link to find prior discussions. For example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...new-tires.html
Originally Posted by Castle4U
I would like some feedback as well regarding tires. My RX330 had the stock Michelin's on when I bought it and they have never been really quiet but they are getting really noisy I guess because it's time to replace them. I looked at the reviews for the new Michelin MXV4 Energy and the wet performance is poor. As a REALTOR I drive a lot of miles in all sorts of weather so I need something that has good wet traction, is QUIET so that I can hear while using my Bluetooth and won't cause me to have poor mileage. I have the 235/55r18 tires and I've got my eye on the Cooper CS4 Touring (H/V Rated) 100V based on the reviews of the tread life, wet traction and quietness on TireCrawler and some other forums. Has anyone else bought these tires yet and if so, how do you like them? Have you seen a drop in fuel efficiency since buying them?

Welcome to Club Lexus, Castle4U.

You need to go to the URL mentioned by Rainbird, start at the end, and work you way forward until your eyes are blurry from reading. Much of what is to be said is there.

Do not believe anyone here has the Cooper tires installed.
Old 08-15-13, 07:34 AM
Castle4U
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, Castle4U.

You need to go to the URL mentioned by Rainbird, start at the end, and work you way forward until your eyes are blurry from reading. Much of what is to be said is there.

Do not believe anyone here has the Cooper tires installed.
Thanks, RX330inFL, I looked over all the links and the Pirelli Scorpion Verde that I looked at as well looks like another good option. Decisions, decisions! It's just a really big purchase that if you aren't happy with you still have to live with for several years.
Old 08-15-13, 07:44 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

This thread may be more helpful. Was the one I was thinking of as it is the primary thread on the topic. Trying to keep everything in one place:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...hoices-11.html
Old 09-10-13, 08:48 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdnewton
My experience with about 175K on our 2004 RX330 AWD with 18" tires.

From our experience, the Goodyear has been the best tire of all we have tried. It was as quiet as the Michelin and provided very good all-season traction.

The Alenza was the loudest of the group, especially as the tread started to wear. It had good all-season traction, but the noise was a bit more than I cared for.
Very interesting post. My wife's 2004 RX330 AWD with 17" tires and150,000 miles. I installed Dueler Alenzas at 88,000 miles and now am looking to replace. She is running her spare (Goodyear) and it is by far much louder than the other 3 worn out Alenzas.

Quick Reply: Rx 330 2005 Tires