RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

dual Alarms anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 10:06 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dual Alarms anyone?

I am thinking about a two-way alarm for my Rx. Will it work al Oki ng side the factory alarm or will it screw things up? I had dual alarms on my Acura and sometimes it would go nutz and would take foreverr to disarm both any input or experiences would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-13, 10:19 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps a kill switch might be a better solution depending on your needs.
Old 07-16-13, 10:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps a kill switch might be a better solution depending on your needs.

Yeah what he said^^^^
Old 07-16-13, 12:59 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had aftermarket alarms on many cars, some were good some were horrible. I've had my work car alarm go off while I'm driving which is quite embarrassing, alarm going off like a wannabee cop. On another car the aftermarket alarm caused major malfunctions when its ground wire somehow came in contact with another wire. Took the dealer over a week to figure out that problem.
Old 08-13-13, 06:47 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an aftermarket alarm along with the factory alarm. The reason for the after market alarm is because it has a 2 way pager. So if the alarm goes off and I'm in range the fob will also alert me that a sensor has been triggered.

The only issue I have with it is that sometimes the alarm overlap each other.

Say for example, all the door are closed and the alarm is not in valet mode, but I forget to lock it on the fob. The aftermarket and factory alarm will both arm the vehicle. So the first time this happened to me, which was embarrassing I tried to use the factory alarm to unlock the doors and they would not open. I then tried the unlock on the key so that let me into the vehicle, but then when I put the key in, the alarm went off again, and that's because the after market alarm was triggered again. Then I had to unlock it with the after market in order to start the vehicle.

I only run into this issue if I don't use the aftermarket to lock the vehicle. I now know if I forget to lock it, when I go to unlock it, that I have to use both devices to unlock the vehicle. Aftermarket first, if I can't open the door then key fob to unlock the doors then aftermarket again because it's suppose to lock in 6 seconds but it's more like 3 seconds. Once I got use to it, it's no longer an issue.
Old 08-13-13, 10:59 PM
dragosdor
Rookie

I am looking to install one as well because of the added feature of a 2 way pager plus I want to add a remote start feature. I've been quoted $350 installed for a Viper 5704 which I believe is quite good deal, including remote start. Not cellular start, but just fob start. I'm a photographer and its a bit more peace of mind to know your gear is extra protected. Plus I live in Houston and get frequently temps over 100F inside the car. That is where the magic of remote start would pay off.

But I never even thought about possible problems with the oem alarm...i guess it depends on the installer, how good he is.
Old 08-13-13, 11:13 PM
Gordonrx
Driver

A two-way alarm was what I was thinking to add to my factory alarm.
Old 08-14-13, 02:52 AM
rich001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Adding an aftermarket alarm system should enhance the security of your vehicle, most aftermarket alarms come with an impact sensor (punching of a doorlock, smashing a window, etc.), additional sensors such as "glass break sensor", "tilt sensor" are optional. Arming and disarming should only be done with the new transmitter, not with the Lexus buttons on their key. Most installers should wire in the factory alarm to arm and disarm with the aftermarket alarm.
As for the pager type transmitters, they will give you greater range in arming and disarming. As well as the ability to confirm if you did arm your vehicle. The range will differ on the different products available, some are a thousand feet while some can reach a half mile.
Remote engine starts are great if you need to warm up or cool down your interior before entering your Lexus, it also warms up your engine for you. All while keeping your vehicle locked and secured. The alarms with 2-way page can also confirm if you did start your vehicle, even if you're not in sight of your vehicle. DO NOT remote start if your vehicle is in an enclosed garage!
Also, for Lexus cars (remote start), the installer will need an additional immobilizer bypass module, this is so the car can be started with no key in the ignition. Go to a professional installer... do it once... do it right.
Old 08-16-13, 04:53 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

$350 installed is a very good deal for the Viper 5704. I just had the Viper 5704V installed in the SF bay area 3 weeks ago on my wife's 08 RX for $450 installed. I have had Viper Remote start/Alarm with our last 5 cars (4Runner, Tacoma, CRV, RX350, Avalon) and never have any issue. On my wife RX350, the factory remote still work on the power trunk. Although I did have to give up a valet key so they can put the immobilizer chip inside the bypass or pay extra $50 for the Lexus bypass. Well, I still have 3 full factory keys left.
Priceless when you can start you car in your hotel room during a ski trip and get into a warm car or get into the air-conditioned car during the 98 degree heat wave.
Old 08-16-13, 04:55 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

BTW, be careful with the $350 price. The install has to be with an Authorized Viper dealer. Otherwise Viper will void the warranty. I would paid extra to have that piece of mind.
Old 08-17-13, 12:51 AM
dragosdor
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexsc4
BTW, be careful with the $350 price. The install has to be with an Authorized Viper dealer. Otherwise Viper will void the warranty. I would paid extra to have that piece of mind.
Not only he is an authorized dealer, but he promised the bypass module that does not need to sacrifice one of the keys. Which supposedly is better/more expensive. I have a key to spare but...
Anyway, I will double check all the info before I do the final move.
Old 08-17-13, 04:13 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

So with the remote start feature, is it possible to hook up a push to start button and cover the ignition keyhole?
Old 08-17-13, 10:03 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

My 08 does not have the push button start. So I am not 100% sure. But I have seen a YouTube video thatit can be done.
Old 08-17-13, 10:59 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
So with the remote start feature, is it possible to hook up a push to start button and cover the ignition keyhole?
NO. The remote start will start your vehicle but you will still need the key to put into the ignition in order to move the car out of gear.

If the key is not in the ignition, when you step on the break the car will shut off.
Old 08-17-13, 11:11 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

I have the older model, the 5901 as I had this installed about 2 years ago.

Aside from the factory alarm some times taking over the after market alarm only when I don't lock it with the after market alarm, I have no other issues with it. I like the range and have no issues with the remote start. The button for the lift gate is slow so I rather use the Lexus key also the aftermarket doesn't roll down my windows as does the unlock on the Lexus key.

I would suggest before you have it installed, review all the features you want and go over them from the manual (you can always download it and review it) make sure all the functions work before you leave the installer. The Viper can also give you the temperature of the vehicle and I believe there's a setting that allows you to automatically start the car if it reaches below or goes above a certain temperature.

Quick Reply: dual Alarms anyone?