RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Issue with installation of Optima Battery in Lexus Rx350

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 08:32 AM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Issue with installation of Optima Battery in Lexus Rx350

Hey guys, I don't know where else to go, so I thought I would try to post on this forum to see if anyone has any advice.

I want to convert my vehicle to a yellow top battery. My vehicle is a Lexus RX 350, 2007 year model, WITH the towing package. I have a trailer hitch, and a small trailer to pull around.

I want to install TWO optima batteries. I wish you could mix wet and dry, but my isolator will not allow it. The system has to be all wet batteries or all gel cell, can't mix em.

So I ordered the battery that is shown to be compatible with my model vehicle. Optima.com & Amazon.com themselves said the battery is compatible with my vehicle. SO I get the battery and start the process of installing it.. Terminals are in different places. What should I do? I could sell the batteries on Craigslist and just scrap this project, jury rig some kind of adapter solution,... anyone got any suggestions? Is it more trouble than it's worth or is there an easy fix / adapter out there?

I went to the local auto parts store in town and he recommended returning the batteries if I could (which I cannot) lol -- and I don't particularly want to, I want to use the Optima battery, I just don't want to make any permanent changes to my Lexus RX.

Thank you very very much in advance for any help.

Old 07-14-13, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I never understood why people change to aftermarket batteries.
Old 07-14-13, 09:09 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, ixmoylan.

I was under the impression you needed to use a D35 Optima Yellow battery and not the D75/25. The stock battery is of course a 24F.
Old 07-14-13, 09:43 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can only assume the OP has some special project in mind which would benefit from the use of such AGM batteries (plural as they want to install two of them). Perhaps to power equipment separate from the RX when out in the woods or similar. Though, I cannot fathom at the moment where one might position a second battery and still connect it properly to the existing charging system. It can always be fabricated, just do not see where the space exists for easy access.
Old 07-14-13, 11:31 AM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone, thanks for welcoming me to the forum! Hope I can contribute back to it.

8040-218 D35 Is the required battery for my vehicle per Optima's Website.
Perhaps it's a generic photo, but the terminals look to be in exactly the same place as the D75/D25's terminals!

They make this statement here "
The OPTIMA® model number for this battery is D35. If you are replacing an OPTIMA® battery you already have, this model is the same as batteries marked 8040-218, 9040-218, YEL35, SC35DA, or N9935YEL."
http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en...cycle-battery/

And I purchased Optima Batteries 8042-218 D75/25 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
from amazon here:
Optima 8042-218-FFP YellowTop Group 75/25 Deep Cycle Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive Optima 8042-218-FFP YellowTop Group 75/25 Deep Cycle Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive

I ran an Amazon search for the battery I needed, and I guess I saw the "This part fits your vehicle" sign and figured I had the right one. $400 mistake.
Old 07-14-13, 11:52 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Take a look at the pictures of the D35 vs. the D75/25 at this URL from the Optima web site:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/shop/yellowtop/

Notice that while the terminals are in the same location they are on opposite sides. You might be able to get the OEM cables to reach with the D35 but not with the D75/25 unless you rotate the battery and even then I am not sure if you will be able to secure it into place using the existing bracket.
The following users liked this post:
fastcache (12-18-20)
Old 07-14-13, 12:10 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Toyota uses a "reverse post" battery....my RX300 had the same issue....had to buy an Optima battery with reverse posts.

You definitely need the D35
fastcache (12-18-20)
Old 07-14-13, 12:16 PM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking that too, but, look at my photo.. I don't think their photos reflect their products accurately, they mostly generic photos.. dunno its hard to tell. Yeah someone suggested turning the battery around to get more slack on the cables.. jury rigging it somehow, I wanted to do this right :\. I suppose as long as I am not cutting into anything or changing anything there's no harm in trying. Will report back. Thx for suggestions .
Old 07-14-13, 03:10 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because OEM isn't the only solution out there. Because people have differing needs/wants/preferences/priorities. Never assume that yours are universal on any topic.

If you don't see the point in aftermarket batteries then why click on a thread on aftermarket batteries and post in it?

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-14-13 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 07:32 PM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the wrong battery. Needed the D35 and got the D75/25 instead.
Swear to frak'in hell it said compatible with your vehicle on Amazon and just flew thru the checkout on the D75.
Of course they don't accept returns on batteries.

Anyway, I am ordering the correct D35 starter battery for my vehicle, and I will simply have two gel cell energy storage batteries. It was a very costly mistake but hopefully not a total loss. I learned a costly lesson, don't blow thru Amazon checkout without double checking model numbers. Oh well.

I'm ordering direct from Optima this time, even though it's 40 bucks more, including s/h and all that. If there's a problem they can deal with me *****ing about and returning the battery. I am going to be using a solar panel on my trailer's roof in addition to the alternator, so it will be nice to have the extra storage capacity anyway. DON'T worry I wouldn't put my alt under that kind of of stress if it wasn't made to be part of the "tow package."

Last edited by ixmoylan; 07-15-13 at 07:47 PM.
fastcache (12-18-20)
Old 07-15-13, 08:05 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

One good reason for purchasing local. Shops like AutoZone carry these batteries and it gives you the opportunity to not only visually inspect what you want to purchase but to also more easily correct any problems.
Old 07-25-13, 08:57 PM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone for your help :)

D35 Came today and works & fits perfect.
Thanks everyone for the help!! Wish I had have come to the forum first, I wouldn't have made the dumb mistakes. Oh well, lesson learned.
Image of D35 Bat optima bat:

fastcache (12-18-20)
Old 07-26-13, 12:08 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Come back and let us know how this works out for you. I, for one, am not sold on the use of these batteries in a standard application such as a RX350 even for heavy duty use. My thinking would be that you could purchase two lead-acid batteries of very good quality for the price of this one to use in the engine bay. Sure, AGM batteries have a place in applications for powering equipment while offline such as with an RV or trailer. Even hear they can do well with all the electrics found in hybrid vehicles.

Of course, my opinion is based on a lack of evidence over time. So, hearing back from those who install Optima batteries about their uses and experiences is always of interest.
Old 07-26-13, 04:31 AM
tennman117
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts

I did not see anything on the page listing that said the battery is non returnable.
If it was never installed they should accept returns.
The one thing I like about Amazon is the ease of returns.
Perhaps the battery policy is hidden somewhere else but if is in fact not returnable it should be stated on the listing page.
Old 07-26-13, 12:34 PM
ixmoylan
Driver School Candidate

Will do

Quick Reply: Issue with installation of Optima Battery in Lexus Rx350