RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 stereo, fix or replace

Old 07-05-13, 06:45 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 stereo, fix or replace

So our 2005 RX330 which we bought in April is on the fritz....it continually gives an Error 4 and does not allow discs to be played, inserted, or ejected. What stinks is that the discs are brand new. We had heard of 'burned' discs that might get warped and cause the error. This is not the cause for us.

I pulled the audio fuse recently, something I found on this forum, to reset the system. Doing this, the error was gone and I got all our discs out. Put them bback in the other day and it worked well for a few days, then the error is back. It seems to persist much more now

So I guess I ask now, is it better to pay Lexus to try and figure out the issue, which could be as easy as a dirty head, an inexpensive fix? This would keep the car looking original....or, do I upgrade to something better?

I wish this car had an AUX for our iPod - and the whole cassette deck is not appealing to me so part of me thinks if it's expensive to repair, I'd rather replace.

So what do you all think? Honestly if there was a nice inexpensive way to stream my iPhone through bluetooth or something and keep the car looking original, I would....i guess then we wouldn't use the tape or the CD....but I don't want to have to connect the phone to a wire every time I get in.... I just wanna get in and go.

While this isn't a huge issue, it does kinda make me sad because I talked my wife into an older car with higher miles to get a Lexus and sold her on reliability....instead of buying a basic no frills NEW car, we bought a High end fancy car....now this

Any recommendations? I can't do a stereo install myself, so I have to consider labor charges in whatever we chose. If you repalced your stereo, post a photo and give us details please!
Old 07-05-13, 07:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

You can talk to the following company some time next week to see what they would charge to repair the unit you have based on the Error 4 message.

http://***********.com/automotive/

Perhaps someone here will point you to more formal instructions for removal and reinstallation for the CD changer. In the meantime, there are plenty of videos out there for such:

Old 07-06-13, 01:17 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you can live without the CD player, I would install an iPod interface.

DIY installation is not that bad:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-04-07-rx.html

I have the USASpec unit and am happy with it. Vaistech seems to be the most popular and there are others.

Even if you do not do it yourself, having one of these interface devices installed by a stereo shop (not the Lexus dealer) is probably the cheapest solution.
Old 07-06-13, 07:47 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd also suggest an iPod interface. We're using the USA Spec as well but there are other options out there. Install is very easy but if you don't feel comfortable you can certainly pay for installation.

Originally Posted by JLeffler
but I don't want to have to connect the phone to a wire every time I get in....
Our USA Spec interface is connected to a ProClip mount. If you have a 5 they make a mount that accepts the lightning to 30 pin adapter that will connect to something like the USA Spec. ProClip mount is attached to a Panavise bracket that is securely mounted to the right of the shifter. The Panavise bracket is easy to install while installing the USA Spec since the trim has to come off for both installs.

iPhone just drops into the ProClip mount and it's good to go and gets charged as well. Bluetooth is certainly an option but, depending on the codecs used audio quality can suffer. IIRC there are aftermarket bluetooth interfaces as well. Haven't used any since device charging is a must for us in all of our vehicles as we use our devices for GPS nav.

Originally Posted by JLeffler
While this isn't a huge issue, it does kinda make me sad because I talked my wife into an older car with higher miles to get a Lexus and sold her on reliability....instead of buying a basic no frills NEW car, we bought a High end fancy car....now this
Well, it is 8 years old and stuff happens to older vehicles -- even Toyotas and Lexi. CD players rarely seem to do well in the long run in my experience (especially changers -- more moving parts = more points of failure) but that's just anecdotal evidence which doesn't really mean much.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-06-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 06:29 AM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by takeshi74
I'd also suggest an iPod interface. We're using the USA Spec as well but there are other options out there. Install is very easy but if you don't feel comfortable you can certainly pay for installation.
I see USA Spec also makes a Bluetooth option which seems to be the best option as there are no wires and nothing to do when entering the car. I'm running to the local Car Toys today to see what they say about cost involved. I also like that the steering wheel controls still work and we can make phone calls wirelessly too. Thanks for the suggestions, all. I will let you know what we choose.
Old 07-08-13, 05:19 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Just ordered the US Spec BT35 TOY and will have it installed this week. Excited! Should be less than $300 installed. No wires, all completely hidden.
Old 07-11-13, 06:06 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Installed today. Love it! Even announces incoming calls and the number displays on the radio...local Car Toys installed for $85, couldn't be happier.
Old 07-11-13, 08:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for posting the outcome!