RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Buying a 2007 RX400h: Has accident report and 98K miles; need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 10:09 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but the problem is you were buying the wrong cars.

Seriously, you bought a chrysler, volkswagen, mercedes and expected reliability???? LOL, sorry but I just about fell off my chair!

I hope things work out for you, and the dealer gives you the warranty you want. But, I highly doubt you will even use the warranty. The RX is a Toyota after-all.

You said the car is in NJ, may I ask which dealership?
Old 07-02-13, 10:11 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

That really sucks but you should research before committing to a purchase. That probably would have helped with all your prior purchases as well. All the questions you asked above should have been answered before you made arrangements to pick up the car. If a Lexus extended warranty was a must then you should have known the terms and pricing first. There are details available through the Lexus site on warranty options and prior threads that discuss purchase options. That's how I found Jerry Johnson for the extended warranty that we purchased for our RX. Chalk it up a pricey learning experience. Don't get caught up in the car buying process without carefully researching and making sure that the vehicle you're looking at is suited to you. Good luck with it!

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
There are companies, such as National Auto Inspection Services and Automobile Inspections, with whom you can contract to inspect a vehicle no matter where it is located. Have never used them, just know they exist. Google is your friend on this search. Costs vary depending on the vehicle and services requested.
Definitely get used vehicles inspected. I don't recall the name of the service I used when buying out of state but there are options out there.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-02-13 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 10:22 AM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dont call me Homer for nothing

I am bad luck and accident prone. This isnt a joke. Okay, its a little joke and its on me.

Anyways, joking aside, I never expected great reliability from any car but when you buy a car with less than X amount of miles and somewhat new, you expect some level of reliability. To have 4 sraight cars be unreliable is like being struck with lightening 3 times in a day. These arent 8-10 year old cars, they were close to new when bought (with certified warranty, except for Routan which was bought New).

Yes, the RX is about as reliable as it gets...But with my track record, the fact that this has had an accident done, the cash out of pocket I am paying to own the car out right, I want as much reliability as I can get, I just dont want to be ripped off while I am trying to achieve that.

Believe me, if I get the car, Ill be back here asking questions about a new water pump, navigation and god knows what else might happen. Maybe even a front differential axle issue.

Im tellin ya, Im cursed
Old 07-02-13, 10:27 AM
HomerRulez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi74
That really sucks but you should research before committing to a purchase. That probably would have helped with all your prior purchases as well. All the questions you asked above should have been answered before you made arrangements to pick up the car. If a Lexus extended warranty was a must then you should have known the terms and pricing first. There are details available through the Lexus site on warranty options and prior threads that discuss purchase options. That's how I found Jerry Johnson for the extended warranty that we purchased for our RX. Chalk it up a pricey learning experience. Don't get caught up in the car buying process without carefully researching and making sure that the vehicle you're looking at is suited to you. Good luck with it!

Definitely get used vehicles inspected. I don't recall the name of the service I used when buying out of state but there are options out there.
its my fault, I know. I was told I "would be taken care of". That wasnt the case and I also informed them that the warranty I wanted was Lexus/Toyota backed ONLY.

as for the ticket, I had to get it. The prices were starting to get super ridiculous (4th of july and all) and went from 194 to 730 in 2 days; same flight, same everything.
Old 07-03-13, 04:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would have moved on and looked for another vehicle, look private owner and CarMax also...At least CarMax has their warranty....