RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

magnetic clutch relay location

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 06:52 PM
gmtechdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnetic clutch relay location

i've searched the forum, and google, etc, trying to find the location of the magnetic clutch relay on an 06 rx330. mitchell online points to a j/b2 which is shown to be the part under the fuse box on the driver side that has the cooling fins on it. upon removing this, there is not a relay that can be replaced, so that leads me to believe that the magnetic clutch relay is made into that unit. i was able to pull up a diagram on napafix, that showed the connectors going to the side of that unit, and the diagram for the circuitry in the middle. That is where it is showing the mag cl relay to be. has anybody had any experience with this?? thanks
Old 06-16-13, 06:38 AM
gmtechdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nobody knows?
Old 06-16-13, 08:12 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

One does need to have patience when comes to technical questions such as yours. Few would even know what you are talking about. There is not a group of technicians here waiting to answer questions. Your message was posted on a Saturday evening when many here have already put their computers aside for much of the weekend and you may not get a proper response from someone knowledgeable for several days. In the meantime, perhaps this might help:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html
Old 08-20-17, 06:46 AM
ceephis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best description I could find

Dear user this plagued me a bit too but here is a good post identifying the real location of the relay and other possible problems.
My thought after reading this is that my clutch sensor is wonky and it is just shutting down.

Hope this helps

https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/7tf...y-located.html
Old 08-20-17, 06:52 AM
Lexusdk
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It does not have a regular relay to replace. The magnetic clutch relay is integrated in the junction block no.2 circuit board. You'd have to replace the entire junction block. What issues are you having with the ac compressor magnetic clutch? Is it not engaging? Make sure you check for the correct amount of refrigerant in the ac system or see if the cooling fans are kicking on.
The following users liked this post:
ceephis (08-21-17)
Old 08-21-17, 03:38 AM
ceephis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks with a bit more searching I found that there is no relay that is (at least easily ) replaceable.

here is what I did instead...

Upon reading the above article I found that there were a good many things the system checks to allow the AC to work. one of which is the Compressor Clutch speed (or something along those lines)

In reviewing this I recalled a condition my Subaru used to have where the compressor did not engage fully due to it being rusted and dirty. (the Subaru of course really did not care as it was not as smart as my Lexus. But it still made for a lot of cycling and some noise. To repair my Subaru I cleaned the clutch with a pressure washer (and high-pressure wax ) at a car wash and then applied a liberal amount of pblaster and grease after it had dried. and Tada no more noise or problem.

Being that my lexus's AC was not working I thought what the heck ...

1. I again checked the pressure and made sure it was right in the middle of the blue (to high or to low I know will stop the system. I had it too high at the beginning of this project.)
2. I took her to a carwash and sprayed out the AC clutch with high-pressure soap and wax.
3. I returned home and hit it with a whole bunch of Pblaser

After many restarts, we are still running code free and cold
I may apply some actual grease in the clutch sometime when I can get down there (to keep her running, as Pblaster is not really a lubricant in my opinion)

Hope this helps someone, and if anyone has feedback please feel free to add it

Thanks