RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 Horrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 11:24 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 04 RX330 Horrible Gas Mileage

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I picked up my RX330 AWD about 2-3 months ago and currently has 110k miles. From my calculations I get about 9-10 MPG and about 140 Miles with 15.5 gallons. All city (Queens/NY) with some air conditioning in between. Is this normal? I had a 01 rx300 previously and I had the same issue but the rx300 would give me about 200 miles to the tank.

Any ideas?

Last edited by bwsteg; 06-03-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 12:41 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I picked up my RX330 about 2-3 months ago and currently has 110k miles. From my calculations I get about 9-10 MPG and about 140 Miles with 15.5 gallons. All city (Queens/NY) with some air conditioning in between. Is this normal? I had a 01 rx300 previously and I had the same issue but the rx300 would give me about 200 miles to the tank.

Any ideas?
Ouch, we just drove ours in Phoenix for a week with 100+ temps. Used the A/C non-stop...we averaged 23-25 in the city and as high as 31 coming down the mountain passes on the way from Colorado... We have the AWD 05 Rx330. In Phoenix the roads are completely flat and straight. The higher mpg came from a lot of coasting downhill - but still quite impressive that we averaged over 30 on a single tank. Overall, the entire trip average was over 25.
Old 06-03-13, 03:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Hello everyone, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I picked up my RX330 AWD about 2-3 months ago and currently has 110k miles. From my calculations I get about 9-10 MPG and about 140 Miles with 15.5 gallons. All city (Queens/NY) with some air conditioning in between. Is this normal? I had a 01 rx300 previously and I had the same issue but the rx300 would give me about 200 miles to the tank.

Any ideas?
I'd have it looked at. I've averaged 23 MPG over the life of my 04 AWD RX330. I get 25-27 MPG on the expressway at a constant cruise controlled 70MPH. In the city I drop to 22-23. I do have a light foot and have access to pure gasoline (without ethanol). In strictly city driving I'd expect to get at least 18-20 MPG even in rush hour NY city traffic. Much depends on your driving style however. If you have a heavy foot and face lots of stop and go traffic your mileage will suffer.
Old 06-03-13, 03:47 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I can see how you can get the 9-10 mpg figure with A/C use in the city.

I was in the city the other day, and it took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to travel 3 blocks to get onto the holland tunnel. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of gas.

How much did your RX300 average in those conditions?
Old 06-03-13, 03:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not the first time we have seen large city RX330 owners having incredibly poor MPG though I think this is the new low. My concern is that should the OP take his vehicle to be diagnosed they will be sold a bunch of voodoo solutions such as injector cleanings which may not go very far in improving matters.

Here are a few things questions and things for you to try. The first few are easily done and go beyond the obvious things such as checking your tire pressures (would run at 35 psi for a bit) and will help provide additional data for us here at CL and any shop you might visit to say these are the things you did try.

1. Are you using premium fuel? Would try using premium fuel, if you are not already, for at least three tanks to see if it makes a difference.

2. What brand of gas are you using? Switch brands of gas. Not always convenient, however, I have seen switching fuel brands improve MPG with no other changes. Again, try at least three tanks of fuel.

3. Take your RX out for a long drive in the country. Get on the roads where you can cruise at speed for awhile. Take it easy and keep it below 70MPH as this is a fuel economy run. Fill up before you leave and check your MPG when you get back. If better but still very poor we can look at problems with the vehicle itself.

4. As others have suggested, have your vehicle inspected. Do you have a shop you trust? We have postings here at CL about even one of the Lexus dealers in that area having poor customer service.

Some reading for you, bwsteg:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...y-low-mpg.html

Let us know how things proceed.
Old 06-03-13, 04:22 PM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cruised about 150 miles yesterday and got an avg of 22.6 mpg. The best mileage I've ever had ever.
Old 06-03-13, 06:22 PM
DPJ
Driver School Candidate

Some good suggestions so far, Their is no way you can estimate gas mileage if you're stuck in NYC traffic. I would switch gas stations and take it on an open road trip. Our 04 gets around 19.5 combined on regular gas. and maybe 24 on the highway.
Old 06-03-13, 11:27 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

pisses me off when i'm stuck in traffic and the L/100km keeps ticking higher and higher and higher......they should make Flintstones holes at the bottom of the car for such situations....
Old 06-04-13, 04:43 AM
bwsteg
Driver

Thanks for all the replies..

I am not stuck in NYC traffic. Most of my commute is in Queens which is just stop and go because of the stop signs/red lights.

Also I am using 93 BP gas.

I read on the other thread to reset the ECU? Does that work and if so how do I go about doing so?

I was also thinking about doing the spark plugs, possible air/fuel sensors?
Old 06-04-13, 06:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

A few more thoughts. Are you reporting MPG as displayed by the computer or actual measured MPG? What is the service history of the vehicle? Has it had the air filter replaced recently? How does the vehicle run? Smooth idle?

You can pull the ECU fuse to reset the ECU. This will cause your RX to re-learn your driving style over a few weeks.

Best way I've found to improve my MPG is to think about it and alter my driving style. I know this isn't easy to do in big city rush hour traffic, but In general, when I accelerate more slowly and increase my look ahead, I get higher MPG. I don't tailgate and I plan for pending light changes or slow downs. When I see the light go yellow I take my foot off the gas and coast to the light. If I watch the lights, I frequently can time it so that I get get there when it goes green so I don't need to stop. Again, not a practice that will gain you any friends in big city traffic. I also get a couple MPG more when I burn pure, non ethanol, gas. Probably pretty hard to find in NY, but here is a link to where it is available: http://www.pure-gas.org
Old 06-04-13, 07:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

My 05 is getting lousy millage right now as well, (though not as bad as what you said) I'm only getting 17 to 17.8 mpg on Premium fuel and a combination of city highway driving. I personally think it is this tainted pee water Gasoline we have here anymore.
Old 06-04-13, 12:11 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Air filter hasn't been replaced in quite a while but I checked it and it wasn't too dirty. Although I will change it soon, I really doubt an air filter can have such a drastic impact.

Car runs great and idle is smooth. I will try reseting the ECU and go from there...
Old 06-04-13, 12:16 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Also I am using 93 BP gas.
That should be pretty good fuel to use. I run on BP 87 most always in my RX here in Flatland, FL (unless I am fully loaded on one of my trips) and get way better than what you are seeing. Still, would like to see you switch brands for a bit and take that long trip in the country, make a day of it and have some fun, to see what you get outside your day-to-day driving habits.
Old 06-04-13, 01:30 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab

You can pull the ECU fuse to reset the ECU. This will cause your RX to re-learn your driving style over a few weeks.
What else does pulling the ECU fuse reset?
Old 06-04-13, 08:46 PM
joejay
Driver School Candidate

Default Lousy gas mileage

I just had the spark plugs changed and changed the air filter with one from the Toyota Dealer. (they'll look it up for you). Disconnect the negative battery cable should also reset the ECU. When I first got my rx330 I reset the ECU and the tranny had to "relearn" the way I drive. Shifted much smoother! I average 20 around town and 25 on the highway. I use premium gas. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: 04 RX330 Horrible Gas Mileage