RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 12:53 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advice sought

Hello,
Today was the first day I could open up all of the windows while driving. I was able to hear a metal on metal rub as my RX was in motion. The sound isn't that bad as I never noticed the noise when all of the windows are up.
After reading other posts, about similar noises; I put the vehicle in neutral while in motion the noise was still present.
The noise can be heard while rolling from a stop up to 65km/h the wind noise over powers everything.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Chris
Old 05-30-13, 02:03 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

worn brakes would make a metal on metal noise , you do not say if the noise stops when the car is at rest or changes when you apply the brakes. a whining noise is more wheel bearings. when were your brakes last serviced, and doesn't the person who services your car measure the wear of the brakes with each oil change?
Old 05-30-13, 03:26 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

The noise is absent when stopped but didn't listen is the noise went away while applying brakes. I'm getting close to an oil change so there was no mention of it during the last oil change. It's not wheel bearing as they have been replaced and its not a whining noise rather a helicopter taking off
Old 05-30-13, 04:03 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What about this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ed-thanks.html
Old 05-30-13, 04:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
Hello,
Today was the first day I could open up all of the windows while driving. I was able to hear a metal on metal rub as my RX was in motion. The sound isn't that bad as I never noticed the noise when all of the windows are up.
After reading other posts, about similar noises; I put the vehicle in neutral while in motion the noise was still present.
The noise can be heard while rolling from a stop up to 65km/h the wind noise over powers everything.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Chris
A dragging brake pad can easily be the cause of this and can also easy checked with the vehicle up on a lift. Put it on your list to check on your next oil change if not prior. Need to check to make sure the parking brake is not dragging either.
Old 05-30-13, 10:10 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Bet you money it is your dust shield or brake related. Your brake dust shield will make noise if it was bent during service. Reach through the wheels and push the shield back and see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-05-13, 06:00 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

As everyone suggested this was a brake issue. I do need a little help; my rear brake were shot. They lasted 60k km or 40k miles. The problem is that both calipers seized resulting in the pads to be in constant contact with the rotor. Since I rarely drive without music on I never noticed the noise until last week.
My problem is on both calipers, the two pins were seized. So in total 4 pins broke off when the servicing began. I believe this is a little unacceptable that all four bolt were seized in such a short duration of time. The service was done at the dealership.
When I brought this up with the SA I got the shoulder roll. Needless to say I'm not pleased. What if anything can be done as it appears to me that the person who replaced my brakes 60k Kms ago did not put any lubricant on the pins/bolts. And how do I prevent this from happening in the future?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 06-05-13, 06:54 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to make sure some pin grease is applied and the rubber boots are seated properly. I always took mine out and cleaned all the old grease off with soap to get down to a nice slick shiny metal and then used some Permatex slide pin lube. Then when the caliper was remounted but before pads installed, manually move the caliper back and forth to make sure it moved freely.
Old 06-05-13, 08:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Hence I rely on myself to do the servicing of the brakes.

However not too long ago I screwed up with not torquing the caliper bolts properly (loose enough to be an issue). I have since re-torqued it but too late, I feel a slight pulse which will only get worse. Need to re-machine rotors and get new pads...lesson learned.