RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX 350 AWD - Seeking Expert Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 05:59 AM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX 350 AWD - Seeking Expert Advice

Hello forum members - need some advice.

I'm currently looking at a 2008 RX 350 AWD "Base" with 48K miles. Prior two-owners and it's a CPO vehicle thru the local Lexus delearship.

(Some background: I drive a '09 Honda CR-V and just want a more luxurious/quieter automobile.)

Unfortunately, I haven't driven the Lexus yet - I did a visual inspection and met with a very nice salesman. It does have the dreaded headlight condensation problem (left sided only). I know of no other problems (however, there are some slight paint imperfections due to scuffs).

(Because I'm a new forum member, I don't think I post a direct link)
here is the URL:
http://www.lexusofgreenville.com/Veh...-SC/1990986753

I know I need to carefully evaluate any rear wheel bearing problems - any other problems to consider for a 2008 model? Further, what about the asking price - and, what is a fair counter offer for this vehicle?

I appreciate any advice.
Old 05-26-13, 07:20 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

That car looks pretty good to me. If it is CPO, then the dealer should get the headlight fixed up, and you have 3 years to find out if anything else (bearings) needs attention. The price is more than you would pay from another owner, but the the CPO warranty is worth a lot. The dealer might knock off a thousand or so, but the exterior and interior look to be in excellent condition.
Keep us informed.
Old 05-26-13, 07:26 AM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

They are great vehicles. I'm an original owner of an '04 RX330 w/105k. The only weak link is the cooling system. You should be able to purchase for around $25k
Old 05-26-13, 08:22 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a nice vehicle and low mileage but they are asking to much, especially for a base model. Price should be about $23k.
Old 05-26-13, 05:40 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly base, you've got the HID lights there. Just my opinion, but find one with more options for this price. You are only a couple thousand away from the 2010 price.
Old 05-27-13, 06:08 AM
drfranklin
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate everyone's help.

I did peruse the 2008's owner's manual last night - did not know that the second generation RX generation does not have a rollover sensor. I know the likelihood for a rollover is low; but, it's piece of mind.

I'm somewhat hesitant to buy a vehicle essentially designed 10 years ago - yes, I might hold off and get a used '10/'11 RX in the next year or so (or just look at a '14 CR-V).
Old 05-27-13, 06:35 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are worried about safety, make sure you check the front crash ratings on the small SUV's. The last test I saw within the month, maybe not 014 though, they rated poorly, Rav4, Cr-V, Escape, etc I think the only one rated acceptable was the new designed Forrester.

If you look at the history of the RX it rates like overall #1 time and time again. I do not own one but it seems the RX is like fine wine according to the ratings. Resale rating are pretty good.
Old 05-27-13, 03:35 PM
ShermanRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drfranklin
Hello forum members - need some advice.

I'm currently looking at a 2008 RX 350 AWD "Base" with 48K miles. Prior two-owners and it's a CPO vehicle thru the local Lexus delearship.

(Some background: I drive a '09 Honda CR-V and just want a more luxurious/quieter automobile.)

Unfortunately, I haven't driven the Lexus yet - I did a visual inspection and met with a very nice salesman. It does have the dreaded headlight condensation problem (left sided only). I know of no other problems (however, there are some slight paint imperfections due to scuffs).

(Because I'm a new forum member, I don't think I post a direct link)
here is the URL:
http://www.lexusofgreenville.com/Veh...-SC/1990986753

I know I need to carefully evaluate any rear wheel bearing problems - any other problems to consider for a 2008 model? Further, what about the asking price - and, what is a fair counter offer for this vehicle?

I appreciate any advice.

They are great cars to own and drive. I've had three of them so far and they are very reliable and perform well. Unfortunately, my 2001 RX was totaled in December, but did a great job protecting my 2 year old and me. (we were t-boned on the drivers side). So I purchased another 2008 RX.... This is the 2nd 2008 I've owned and really like them. Well worth the money. I do think you can get an cpo with this many miles for a few thousand less, especially a non loaded version. Enjoy!.
Old 05-28-13, 06:59 AM
IIKings920
Driver School Candidate

The recent crash test results with 14 small SUVs doing marginal to poor and the Forrester was the only one that was "Good" is the new small overlap crash test for which Toyota has performed very poorly on (Rx not tested but the Toyota brand has been poor in this test and there is no reason the think the Rx will do any better). In the moderate overlap test, the Rx, CRV, and many others do very well. Here is an example of what I am talking about. These are the facts, don't get offended at me for posting.

IS 250
I could go on but I think the point has been made. The new "small overlap" crash test is the new standard in addition to the well known moderate (40%) overlap test. This does not help Toyota results but MB, BMW, Infiniti, GM, Ford all perform from poor to marginal in this test.

Honda (Accord, Civic, TL) and the Volvo S60 are stellar. Manufacturers claim to be surprised by this test but Volvo has been doing this testing since the early '90s.
Old 05-28-13, 08:27 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the dealer is asking too much. About three years ago, I happened to shop around for a 2008 RX at a Lexus dealer with 30K miles on it. It had more add-on feature than one OP indicated here. The asking price was 30K and I am pretty much sure I could get it down to $28K. In my mind, considering that used car has been more expensive than three years ago, this should be around 22K to 23K.
Old 05-28-13, 09:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by drfranklin
I appreciate everyone's help.

I did peruse the 2008's owner's manual last night - did not know that the second generation RX generation does not have a rollover sensor. I know the likelihood for a rollover is low; but, it's piece of mind.

I'm somewhat hesitant to buy a vehicle essentially designed 10 years ago - yes, I might hold off and get a used '10/'11 RX in the next year or so (or just look at a '14 CR-V).
The 2nd gen RX has VSC, vehicle stability control, whereas the 3rd gen RX has VDIM, or vehicle dynamics integrated management. Both work well. But VDIM kicks it up a notch by preventing loss of control through a combination of braking and steering assistance. It's much more pronounced than VSC, intstantaneous too. Just in case that might affect your decision.
Old 05-28-13, 05:16 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

This does not help Toyota results "but" MB, BMW FORD, Infinit GM all perform poor to marginal. Not sure I get the point.

Lets not sell the Mitsubishi Outlander short It performed well like the Subaru
Old 05-29-13, 07:36 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We can argue about crash ratings and types all day long, but the chances of getting into a major crash are very slim and you still wouldn't know what type of crash you would incur. If you are a very careful driver you would most likely be rear ended by someone else.

What I am saying is crash rating is not very high on my list of priorities when purchasing a vehicle. Is there a SUV you would not buy based on this? If there was, the drive by media would be all over the story about how bad it is. Buy what you like based on how it drives, looks, and suits your needs.
Old 05-29-13, 05:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Yup it will never happen to me as what they all say but It really depends on how much, how fast you drive for the odds to catch up to you. A head on collision is very unlikely but these offset crashes are prolly "relatively" pretty common (deer, post, sideswiped by a drunk driver)at high speed versus a rollover. I drive 30k plus a year crash test pretty important to me. I drive an LS 430 and a big ol heavy Touareg. I am in healthcare, and never want to be in a position "I learned to late" seeing these crash tests. With all the impaired drivers out there you can be as careful as you want to no avail. As you get older and see the terrible results of fate and chance you will worry more and live for safety versus getting 30 mpg per gallon. .