RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Eibach Springs - disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 01:24 PM
neilman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach Springs - disappointed

Just wanted to let folks know of my experience.

I purchased the eiback pro kit springs to lower the vehicle an inch or so and decrease body roll. While I am very pleased with the improvement in ride quality (firm but not harsh, noticeably less body roll), I am very disappointed with what I consider to be a useless drop in height. Just looking at it visually, I can't even tell that there has been a drop at all. Of course if an actual measurement was taken there may be proof that there was a drop, but that's not the point. If it can't be seen or noticed, it didn't accomplish what I wanted to it to, or, what eibach advertises the drop would be. I've been around cars long enough to know that a 1 inch drop would be noticeable. I have been paying attention to every other rx330 I see on the road and can't tell a difference with mine. I'm not holding out hope that the springs will 'settle', as there are many mixed reviews about whether that really happens or not, and eibach says it will not.

We've already driven about 500 miles on the springs.

Anyway...just wanted to pass on the feedback to anyone else who may be looking into lowering springs. If you are looking for a noticeable drop...I suggest going with something other than eibach.
Old 05-05-13, 02:01 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, neilman.

There are not a great deal of aftermarket suspension parts for the RX. As a result, it is hard to change the spots on this leopard. Many of us like it that way and do not want to see a bunch of modified RX out there. Most, if not all, of the RX which have been lowered that I have seen came from the factory with the air suspension setup and were modified or had an air suspension package installed at considerable cost. The OEM air suspension package is prone to leaking and other problems much like the systems from Mercedes and Citroën.

There are some coilovers out there for the Japanese market you might be able to have imported. Though, these too are expensive. Such as:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/parts_d...=&SEARCH_page=

In the old days one way to accomplish what you are trying to do would be to chop your springs. This is no longer a recommended plan of action. You couldn't take too much off of them, perhaps only 1-2 inches on some vehicles, and this had its own set of issues. There would also be the concern about suspension travel. Of course, I would recommend you talk to knowledgeable folks before going down that road. The springs would need to be static rate springs and not progressive rate. Also, in the end you may not like the result and would not be able to undo the work without purchasing new parts.
Old 05-06-13, 04:14 AM
dragosdor
Rookie

Default Mine too

Same exact experience here as well...I have installed Eibach springs and while ride quality became a bit firmer, but no harsh at all, the height stayed the same. Proved by measure tape. No settling in few thousand miles. I was mad at the beginning and I still plan on calling Eibach and complain. But what can I do? There is no other option out there and this one still helped a little with the ride quality.
Old 05-06-13, 02:47 PM
neilman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses...I'm just going to live with it I guess. I don't mind that we don't have good options out there for lowering our vehicle, but it is absolutely unacceptable for eibach to provide misleading information. They advertise a 1 to 1.5 inch drop, and it's totally bogus and they should stop doing that. I put in $600 to buy the springs and get them professionally installed, and I feel like I got ripped off.