RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-13, 12:49 PM
sth0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery

My RX has been sitting in my driveway for about 3 months. I haven't driven or started it in all that time. I went out today to start it and it's totally dead, remote doesn't work, no interior lights, nothing. So I hooked up my floor charger and immediately the horn started honking, louder than I've ever heard it. The second I turn the charger on, the horn honks, on and off, on and off. I turn the charger off and the horn stops. Anybody had this issue ? It's Sunday, so my dealership is closed, thought I would try this forum. Thanks
Old 05-05-13, 01:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sth0
My RX has been sitting in my driveway for about 3 months. I haven't driven or started it in all that time. I went out today to start it and it's totally dead, remote doesn't work, no interior lights, nothing. So I hooked up my floor charger and immediately the horn started honking, louder than I've ever heard it. The second I turn the charger on, the horn honks, on and off, on and off. I turn the charger off and the horn stops. Anybody had this issue ? It's Sunday, so my dealership is closed, thought I would try this forum. Thanks
When your battery is flat dead and you hook up a power source to it while it is still attached to your RX that is what you will get. All you need to do is either:

a. disconnect the battery from the vehicle before hooking up the charger

or

b. insert your key into the ignition. next, hook up the charger and turn it on. if the horn goes off you need to turn the key in the ignition to the next position.

All that is happening is the alarm is getting tripped on your RX. Completely normal when the power it drained.

Remember, you will need to reset all your windows and sunroof, possibly your seat settings, once you have a good charge back on the battery. All of that is in the Owner's Manual.

And welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 05-05-13, 02:13 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!
I agree with RX330inFL. On lots of vehicles, the alarm gets tripped when you try to charge a dead battery when it's hooked up to the car.
Old 05-05-13, 03:08 PM
sth0
Driver School Candidate

Default dead battery

Thanks for the great info, worked like a charm !
Old 05-06-13, 12:47 PM
john62395
Driver School Candidate

This same thing happened to me when I bought my RX in January. For whatever reason, the battery dies and I tried to use my charger. *HONK! HONK! HONK!* Haha.. I ended up disconnecting the battery as stated above and got the battery charged. Welcome to Club Lexus. I usually like hitting up the forums if I have an issue/question. Most of the time the responses are much more helpful here than at my dealer here in Sacramento. Good luck!
Old 05-06-13, 01:37 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Hence it is suggested that you invest in a relatively cheap trickle charger that will maintain the charge on your battery. They are as low as $40 nowadays. Harbor Freight has them. I opted to get the Charger that acts as a Jump Starter as well, they are about $60. So I have the capability to jump start any dead battery.