RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-14, 07:16 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Youre welcome...glad it worked out for you
Old 11-05-14, 09:17 PM
dtroshin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@alchemist for the bolts is there a specific torque spec on any of them especially the surge tank? or just a good snug on everything? thanks
Old 11-06-14, 06:57 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtroshin
@alchemist for the bolts is there a specific torque spec on any of them especially the surge tank? or just a good snug on everything? thanks
you can snug them but if you're **** it is Torque: 28 Nm (286 kgf-cm, 21 ft. lbs.)
Old 11-29-14, 01:08 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did this, this morning, great instructions.

i have one tweak.

when you remove the throttle body, don't remove the coolant hoses. there is enough room to push it off to the side. this will save you time since you wont have to top up the coolant / clean up a mess. there is still room to inspect and clean the throttle body.

took me right around 2.5 hours.
The following users liked this post:
jsoulamon (04-08-24)
Old 01-25-15, 07:20 AM
Dengineer
Driver School Candidate

Default Great post - great help

This is a must have to do this job. It makes the job relatively easy. Completed this yesterday, no problems. I used a box end Gear Wrench to take out and install the rear surge tank stay bolts. Not sure I could have done it without those.

Thanks for the post.

Now, maybe the same for a timing belt change?
Old 01-25-15, 12:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dengineer
This is a must have to do this job. It makes the job relatively easy. Completed this yesterday, no problems. I used a box end Gear Wrench to take out and install the rear surge tank stay bolts. Not sure I could have done it without those.

Thanks for the post.

Now, maybe the same for a timing belt change?
Well here u go when youre ready:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/737102-tackling-mt-everest-timing-belt-water-pump-change-diy-w-pics.html
JBSGROUP (10-12-23)
Old 08-19-15, 07:57 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Talked to my friend who works at Lexus and said he puts the RX on the lift and drops the rear cradle to gain more access in the back. Said he can do plugs on an RX in about an hour.

Wish I had a lift!!!
Old 10-07-15, 08:02 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

A comment on the downloaded instructions on doing this. From Lexus technician (THE first hired in my state back in 89). DO NOT USE ANTI SEIZE on the plugs. It significantly changes the torque on the plugs. Do not at all.
jsoulamon (04-08-24)
Old 10-07-15, 09:58 AM
robbyk
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had all of my 6 spark plugs replaced at the Lexus dealership for $270 (parts and labor) plus $100 (deductible).

Here is how it happened..
Two weeks ago after a few hours of rain during the night both of front headlights assembly showed signs of moisture inside. I knew there was a warranty extension and brought the car to the dealer for inspection.The driver's side headlight assembly had a bit of moisture but by the time I showed up to the dealer the moisture was pretty much gone. The service adviser indicated that in order to replace the headlight under the warranty extension program there had to be evidence of moisture, since they could not see moisture on both HL assembly only the passenger's HL assembly was replaced under the program.
During this process they conducted a visual inspection and was advised of an oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket and main seal. I did not think much of this because there were no oil drips in the driveway where I park the car. I have a limited extended warranty in the vehicle which covers major components and that I have almost never used, there is a $100 deductible per incident. To be quite frank I was pretty sure oil leaks were not covered.
Three weeks later I took the car to the car wash, an hour later I noticed condensation / moisture in the driver's side HL assembly. Before taking the vehicle to the dealership for the HL moisture I decided to read what was covered and what is not covered in the extended warranty. The search was inconclusive I was not able to see in the document if oil leaks were covered. So picked up the phone and called to speak to an agent. The agent asked all of the pertinent questions and to my surprise he told me to take the car to the dealership of my choice and have them call for authorization.

I immediately took the car to the dealership so they could see and document the condition, I know the warranty extension on the headlights is coming to an end in the month of October 2015 so this was perfect timing.
The Lexus dealer took the car for the driver's side HL, provided a loaner. Lexus obtained authorization to replace both valves cover gaskets and the mail seal. When I received the call from the dealer indicating that everything was approved I asked what would be the cost to replace the spark plugs while replacing the rear valves cover gasket, I figured it would not be that much because the extended warranty was picking up the labor. Lexus indicated that the cost to replace the spark plugs while they were there would be $270 in addition to my $100 deductible. Without hesitation I approved the replacement.
So they replaced my driver's HL assembly, main seal, both valves cover gaskets, and spark plugs; all of this for $370. They also had to perform alignment, part of the process of dropping the tranny.
When I picked up the vehicle and saw the invoiceable amount of what was done I almost went thru the roof, the total bill was close to $5,000.
Old 10-11-15, 05:07 AM
jamislow
Driver School Candidate

Mission Accomplished...thank you for your effort and tips.
Old 10-11-15, 06:41 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

One addendum to the instructions, don't break coolant, just unbolt the throttle body and move out of the way. No worries, worked fine for me.

Just waiting on the new PCV valve so I can put it back together....

I tried to do it without removing the intake, but I just couldn't do it. My friend at Lexus said it can be done, but I just couldn't. Wasn't worth it. The back support bolts weren't fun. The 14mm one wasn't bad at all, the middle one, the 12mm, was a pain. I used my through hole socket set and it worked fine.
Old 06-04-16, 04:31 PM
chrisp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guide was perfect.
Took about 4.5 hours working leisurely. I didn't unhook the coolant lines either.
Those back two bolts were I nightmare to get out - easier to put back in.
I used a 14mm stubby on the one and a 12mm adjustable ratchet on the other.
One tip I saw on another video was to tie fishing line to those two bolts just in case you drop them down behind everything.
Plugs looked in pretty good shape for just over 120K miles.
Old 08-28-16, 07:59 PM
Flomaster
2nd gear

Thanks Alchemist for the great info on what I need to replace my spark plugs and other necessities.

Flomaster
Old 08-31-16, 05:28 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flomaster
Thanks Alchemist for the great info on what I need to replace my spark plugs and other necessities.

Flomaster
you bet man, glad it helped
Old 09-03-16, 10:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

This is a pretty good guide. However, I had it done with a TECH and cost me $150 plus the plugs. The best way is to take out the cowl and the intake. Of course right, they do this every single day at the shop. But now that I have seen it, it is pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply: RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)