RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 08:36 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
you do not remove the valve cover, I think he is referring to the surge tank (upper intake) gasket which is the orange one
Most people tend to replace the gaskets while they have it apart. Which is why I mentioned it. Just a side bar tip is all.

As for the plugs, no gasket work needed if that is all you are doing.
Old 06-07-13, 07:36 PM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get 12mm and 14mm ratchet box wrenches for the rear bolts. I wish I had them. It would have saved 30 mins.
Old 06-11-13, 08:30 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I just finished and huge kudos on these instructions. THESE ARE THE BEST DIRECTIONS. You've taken something that has been thought to be overwhelming and made it quite doable for anyone who has a decent degree of mechanic knowledge. I took your PDF out to the garage on my tablet w.a little iheart radio playing and walked right through it w.no problem at all. Got the gaskets and plugs from Sewell. What a huge savings being able to DIY. The most time consuming part was getting those darn rear stay bolts out and back in. I second the earlier comment of getting a set of stubby ratchet wrenches, they are a must....along w.saying a prayer you don't drop those bolts. Big thanks again
Old 06-12-13, 06:34 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Well I just finished and huge kudos on these instructions. THESE ARE THE BEST DIRECTIONS. You've taken something that has been thought to be overwhelming and made it quite doable for anyone who has a decent degree of mechanic knowledge. I took your PDF out to the garage on my tablet w.a little iheart radio playing and walked right through it w.no problem at all. Got the gaskets and plugs from Sewell. What a huge savings being able to DIY. The most time consuming part was getting those darn rear stay bolts out and back in. I second the earlier comment of getting a set of stubby ratchet wrenches, they are a must....along w.saying a prayer you don't drop those bolts. Big thanks again
No problem. Glad it worked out for you
Old 11-24-13, 07:48 AM
bobamsden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Did you mean to say Valve cover? No valve cover gasket is being removed?
I'm in the process of removing the intake manifold on my 2009 rx350 . I have everything loose on it except there seems to be a bolt or on the back left passenger side of the manifold holding it on yet . does anyone know where it is and how do I find it?
Old 11-24-13, 08:03 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Are you referring to the upper intake, also called surge tank? If so did you remove rear stays that provide support? Or are you referring to bolts that attach surge tank to lower manifold?
Old 11-24-13, 10:16 PM
bobamsden
Driver School Candidate

the surge tank . I got the one off the tb and one in the center also all the hex screws and two nuts. IS THERE ONE ON THE BACK LEFT SIDE OF SURGE TANK?
Old 11-25-13, 04:36 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Yes...at least for the 3.3 motor there is. I have a pic of the back of the surge tank in the writeup. I believe its a 14mm bolt. Look below. You can see the far left one for the surge tank.

*****Just remember during reassembly - attach those surge tank stay bolts FIRST then do the lower ones next to the intake runners.

Last edited by alchemist; 11-25-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 07:44 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I need to study this since my RX is due for the plug change. Can you possibly list the part numbers of the parts I need to get from Sewell, really appreciate this. I have the plugs purchased months ago but not the gaskets. I am still hemming-hawing...but getting confident by the day! I have done my SC430 which was a breeze. Am working on doing the IS350 as well (ouch).
Old 11-25-13, 08:03 AM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I need to study this since my RX is due for the plug change. Can you possibly list the part numbers of the parts I need to get from Sewell, really appreciate this. I have the plugs purchased months ago but not the gaskets. I am still hemming-hawing...but getting confident by the day! I have done my SC430 which was a breeze. Am working on doing the IS350 as well (ouch).
A few important things to note. The bolts in the back are extremely hard to reach. If I only had ratcheting box wrenches it would have made the job a lot easier. Additionally, blow off the manifold with compressed air before starting. You don't want that crud to land in the lower intake.

Additionally, I purchase the gaskets and PCV Valve from RockAuto. After I started my RX, the RPM's were at 2000 for about 5 mins. I assume it was relearning after cleaning the throttle body. Afterwards I read that I shouldn't have move the throttle control motor.
Old 11-25-13, 08:09 AM
alchemist
Instructor

I updated my original post but here you go:

Parts needed:

- Denso long life iridium spark plugs – Denso part # SK20R11
- PCV (I changed mine) – Lexus part 1220420040
- Upper intake manifold/surge tank gasket (orange) – Lexus part # 1717620020
- Plenum gasket – Lexus part # 1712720010
- Intake flange (gray) gasket – Lexus part # 1711620010
- TB gasket – Lexus part # 2227120040
Old 11-25-13, 08:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-25-13, 10:19 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

for your 350...you might be able to have them to do it for you for the camgear recall?
Old 11-26-13, 03:43 PM
bobamsden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobamsden
the surge tank . I got the one off the tb and one in the center also all the hex screws and two nuts. IS THERE OpNE ON THE BACK LEFT SIDE OF SURGE TANK?
Thanks I'll get a mirror and see if I can find it.
Old 11-26-13, 04:01 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Just reach around and feel for the vertical surge tank stay. Move your hand up it and feel for the bolt

Quick Reply: RX330 Rear Spark Plug Change (***DIY with Pics***)