RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Strange ticking/grinding noise when backing off accelerator.

Old 04-22-13, 06:44 AM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange ticking/grinding noise when backing off accelerator.

I just bought a 2006 RX330 with 95,000 miles about a month ago and shortly after I noticed a faint sound that has gotten worse over the past month. It speeds up or slows down as my speed changes. It does not happen at all when my foot is on the gas whether maintaining speed or accelerating but as soon as I back off the gas and start coasting, the sound starts all the way down to under 10 mph at which time it stops. It's kind of like the sound a bicycle would make when kids used to tape a card (from a deck of playing cards) so that it hit the spokes when they rode. It has gotten louder recently and I hate driving the car like this.

I thought it might be something to do with the transmission when it's engine braking after letting off the gas so I followed the DIY threads on changing the tranny fluid. I dropped the pan and changed out the filter last night but it didn't make a difference. While test driving it last night after the fluid change I noticed that the sound doesn't change in any gear including in Neutral so it must not be the transmission.

What could it be? A bearing? Differential? Brakes? I notice another sound that appears to be the brakes just starting to rub a bit but it's different from this ticking/gentle grinding sound. If it's brakes, bearing, etc, why would it only do it when I back off the throttle and not all the time?

Also, I found a decent amount of metal shavings in the tranny pan. A good bit stuck to the magnets and a few other larger pieces that were smaller than the one in the photo but large enough that I could audibly hear them move around the pan. The largest is the one in the photo. What the heck would that be from and is this a sign that my tranny is in trouble? I'm wondering if this thing is a lemon.

thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Strange ticking/grinding noise when backing off accelerator.-metal-shaving-from-tranny.jpg  
Old 04-22-13, 06:46 AM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

Also, the sound appears to come from the front of the car. And it's the AWD.

Last edited by skysurfing; 04-22-13 at 07:30 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-22-13, 08:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Wheel bearings are a weakness on 2nd Generation AWD RX. Would be looking at those. However, not sure it matches the problem you are experiencing.
Old 04-22-13, 07:35 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Look at the HEAT SHIELD FROM THE REAR MANIFOLD. It rubs up against the fire wall and makes a rattling noise.

I would check your bearings. As well as any linkage on the suspension. Look at the heat shiels surrounding the fuel tank and exhaust running to the rear of the vehicle as well.
Old 04-22-13, 08:16 PM
yennit
Driver School Candidate

Ok, some metal shavings in tranny pan, normal; BIG metal shavings, concerning! I would have your tranny checked out. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 04-23-13, 10:20 AM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

I stopped by the dealer in Clearwater, Fl last night and then took it to an appointment there today and no one seemed concerned about the large metal piece I found in the pan. They said it could be from when they manufactured/assembled the vehicle or it could be a piece that broke off during break in that dropped down into the pan before it could get ground up into the finer pieces normally found in the pan. There wasn't an abnormal (actually I don't know what normal would be but it didn't seem alarming) amount of metal stuck to the magnets but there was this piece and a couple of much smaller but large enough to not stick to the magnets pieces. I will take it elsewhere for a 2nd opinion but it does shift nice and smooth right now.

Regarding the noise, I drove it with the technician before they pulled the wheels and inspected the bearings, brakes, etc and he said it was 100% brakes and 0% tranny. I left feeling a little better but still not convinced. If it was brakes I'd think it would do it whether I was on the throttle or not but it goes away as soon as I touch the throttle and comes back as soon as I let off. However it sounds the same whether in neutral or any of the gears so he said that means it has nothing to do with the transmission. I don't know.
Old 04-23-13, 10:24 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Have they checked the bearings too???
Old 04-23-13, 10:24 AM
skysurfing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Look at the HEAT SHIELD FROM THE REAR MANIFOLD. It rubs up against the fire wall and makes a rattling noise.

I would check your bearings. As well as any linkage on the suspension. Look at the heat shiels surrounding the fuel tank and exhaust running to the rear of the vehicle as well.
Would the sound change with the speed the tires are rotating with the heat shields? The sound is directly related to how fast the wheels are turning. I mentioned 10 mph in my original post but really you have to get up to above 20 for it to be noticeable but sometimes whatever is dragging will make noise up down to about 10 mph (at which time something in the tranny changes the engine braking at that exact time and the sound disappears).
Old 04-23-13, 10:30 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

And yes, go to another dealer for 2nd opinion for your transmission....
Old 04-23-13, 12:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Wonder if the inner brake pads are dragging a bit?

Another member of CL had reported previously of issues with this dealership and had mentioned they found an independent shop in the area which seemed to be more responsive. I have sent skysurfing a PM and perhaps those two can get together to exchange information.
Old 04-23-13, 12:56 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me tell you, the two Tampa Bay Area dealers are horrible. They are owned by the same company, so they have the monopoly in the area, unfortunately. I would definitely use the independent I sent you via PM, or find one for yourself. The dealer will try to nickle and dime you for everything! I've heard of many misdiagnoses from the local Tampa Bay Area Lexus dealers from more than 5 people. So take that for what it's worth, and hope I was of help.
Old 04-23-13, 01:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99rx
Let me tell you, the two Tampa Bay Area dealers are horrible. They are owned by the same company, so they have the monopoly in the area, unfortunately. I would definitely use the independent I sent you via PM, or find one for yourself. The dealer will try to nickle and dime you for everything! I've heard of many misdiagnoses from the local Tampa Bay Area Lexus dealers from more than 5 people. So take that for what it's worth, and hope I was of help.
These dealerships were not all that bad in years past. Previous ownership was attentive to problems and customer needs. Then the big guys came in and purchased the dealerships and it has been downhill from there. Started noticing problems during the transition period. People coming and going, never seeming to be the same visit to visit. Sales and service were affected. At this particular dealership the OP is referencing you never really see or can talk to your tech. The shop is down the road from the main building. If you call you never speak directly to a service writer or tech, rather, you get a scheduling person and you may get transferred to voicemail. Consider yourself lucky if you get a call back by the end of the day if ever. At least that is the way things used to be from my experience with them. How they have won any of the awards the have on display given to them by Lexus of late is beyond me.

Had remembered 99rx's past post so thought skysurfing might benefit from his experiences. In many regards, why we are here.
Old 04-23-13, 02:39 PM
katzjamr
Driver

a wheel bearing would be more of a whine that changes with the speed of the car, it is usually the right front tire as that one gets hit against the curb and damaged that way. also a bad wheel bearing symptom would be the sound changing when turning right or left. it is possible to hear it at speeds of 20 to 50 mph sometimes road noise covers the sound when above 50. a mechanic can tell with a stethoscope when the car is on a lift which bearing it is, if it is not apparent during driving
Old 01-07-14, 05:40 PM
ruiz
Driver School Candidate

Default what was the solution? problem solved?

Originally Posted by skysurfing
Would the sound change with the speed the tires are rotating with the heat shields? The sound is directly related to how fast the wheels are turning. I mentioned 10 mph in my original post but really you have to get up to above 20 for it to be noticeable but sometimes whatever is dragging will make noise up down to about 10 mph (at which time something in the tranny changes the engine braking at that exact time and the sound disappears).
skysurfing,
I have the identical problem, which started today. Did you figure out what the problem was?
Old 01-07-14, 08:43 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also check to see if the pulley recall has been done on your car. My car made similar noises when my pulley was failing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange ticking/grinding noise when backing off accelerator.