RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

maintenance questions on 08 RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-13, 08:16 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance questions on 08 RX

hi, I got plenty of questions

1) The main headlight is hid, it seems ok, but do these bulbs wear out over time? I feel like the bulb could be brighter. No condensation. How much are replacement bulbs that are recommended

2) the gps maps need to be updated, whats the most cost effective way to do it to find an updated disc?

3) On the driver door, where there are the 4 controls to move windows up and down, only the control to move the driver side door window works....when I press the other controls for other windows, none of the other windows move...each window does move up and down when the button on the individual doors is pushed....does this seem like an electrical issue? DIY possible?

4) this one seems weird: there seems to be white fiber dust that accumulates on the front dashboard...I clean it with a cloth, and then I drive the car, and it seems to re-accumulate. I checked the filter thats in the dashboard, and thats clean. Any thoughts?

Overall, the wife loves the car, we've put on 4k in like a month since we;'ve had it
Old 04-14-13, 09:11 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
hi, I got plenty of questions

1) The main headlight is hid, it seems ok, but do these bulbs wear out over time? I feel like the bulb could be brighter. No condensation. How much are replacement bulbs that are recommended

2) the gps maps need to be updated, whats the most cost effective way to do it to find an updated disc?

3) On the driver door, where there are the 4 controls to move windows up and down, only the control to move the driver side door window works....when I press the other controls for other windows, none of the other windows move...each window does move up and down when the button on the individual doors is pushed....does this seem like an electrical issue? DIY possible?

4) this one seems weird: there seems to be white fiber dust that accumulates on the front dashboard...I clean it with a cloth, and then I drive the car, and it seems to re-accumulate. I checked the filter thats in the dashboard, and thats clean. Any thoughts?

Overall, the wife loves the car, we've put on 4k in like a month since we;'ve had it

Please, please, please use the search features of the forums here at CL. All of these questions have been asked and answered on numerous occasions.

1. Yes, bulbs will wear out. Easily found at your local parts store. Lots of choices and lots of prices depending on your needs and choices.

2. Check with Sewell for replacement DVDs and instructions.

3. It means your battery has been replaced. Check your Owner's Manual or here online for instructions on how to reset your windows and sunroof.

4. Reported on numerous occasions. Possible, and expensive, problem with AC evaporator. Hope you have a warranty.
Old 04-15-13, 11:52 AM
JLeffler
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Please, please, please use the search features of the forums here at CL. All of these questions have been asked and answered on numerous occasions.

1. Yes, bulbs will wear out. Easily found at your local parts store. Lots of choices and lots of prices depending on your needs and choices.

3. It means your battery has been replaced. Check your Owner's Manual or here online for instructions on how to reset your windows and sunroof.

4. Reported on numerous occasions. Possible, and expensive, problem with AC evaporator. Hope you have a warranty.
I always thought that HIDs were very pricey and not available at your local auto parts store. Which ones have you seen carry them? That's one concern I've had with buying my car with 80k already....The one biggest worry I have is that they would cost several thousand to replace, not $10 like my Saturn had. As for the dust, I've gotten that in all my cars. We live in a dusty region and I keep a little swiffer in the dash. It could also be as easy as normal everyday dirt in the air.
Old 04-15-13, 12:02 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The white dust is caused by "stuff" flaking off the a/c evaporator through the vents. This has been well documented on this forum.

The bulbs are D2S 4300k HID bulbs, can be found for $50-$100 each. Do not touch the bulb with your fingers, the oils will cause hot spots and will blow prematurely.

The DVD map disk is way overpriced unless you just want to use the outdated Nav system, both in terms of maps and functionality.
Old 04-15-13, 12:07 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JLeffler
I always thought that HIDs were very pricey and not available at your local auto parts store. Which ones have you seen carry them? That's one concern I've had with buying my car with 80k already....The one biggest worry I have is that they would cost several thousand to replace, not $10 like my Saturn had. As for the dust, I've gotten that in all my cars. We live in a dusty region and I keep a little swiffer in the dash. It could also be as easy as normal everyday dirt in the air.

First, go to Sylvania and check to see what bulbs are needed for your vehicle. In this case I will use the OP's RX:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/appli...l=1707&make=54

So, we are looking for a HID-D2S, or just a D2S bulb. Go to Advance Auto Parts, for example, and you get this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...d2s&showTitle=

Now, you have a baseline for comparing other bulbs and prices. Go under the Specifications tab and you have all you need regarding lumens, color temperature, wattage and voltage.

It is not that the bulbs are really all that expensive, rather, it is the ballasts and whole assembly needing to be replaced when water gets in there and rusts things out.
Old 04-15-13, 02:31 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
The white dust is caused by "stuff" flaking off the a/c evaporator through the vents. This has been well documented on this forum.

The bulbs are D2S 4300k HID bulbs, can be found for $50-$100 each. Do not touch the bulb with your fingers, the oils will cause hot spots and will blow prematurely.

The DVD map disk is way overpriced unless you just want to use the outdated Nav system, both in terms of maps and functionality.

what do you recommend regarding maps. should i buy a garmin lol ?
Old 04-15-13, 02:33 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

First, go to Sylvania and check to see what bulbs are needed for your vehicle. In this case I will use the OP's RX:

So, we are looking for a HID-D2S, or just a D2S bulb. Go to Advance Auto Parts, for example, and you get this:

Now, you have a baseline for comparing other bulbs and prices. Go under the Specifications tab and you have all you need regarding lumens, color temperature, wattage and voltage.

It is not that the bulbs are really all that expensive, rather, it is the ballasts and whole assembly needing to be replaced when water gets in there and rusts things out.
is there a way to prevent the condensation issue at all?
Old 04-15-13, 02:37 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

does CPO cover the AC evaporator?
Old 04-15-13, 07:38 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.luceprodukt.com/e/d2s_d2r...m_hid_bulb.asp

I've purchased LED bulbs from this vendor before and they have quality products. I ordered the BA9 for the map lights. I was very impressed how they shipped their product. Soft foam on each end of the bulb and shipped in plastic tubes similar to old 35mm film plastic tubes. Warning about finger prints as well as instructions.
Old 04-15-13, 07:48 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Lexus Dealerships will have the latest Nav update discs and can install it for you or you can search the forum on how to install them yourself.
Old 04-15-13, 10:15 PM
JLeffler
Rookie

That's really a huge relief and good to know! Thanks for the info, though for now I pray I don't need it.
Old 04-16-13, 06:34 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

what do you recommend regarding maps. should i buy a garmin lol ?
You have to do whatever works for you. I use TomTom on a iPhone.
Old 04-16-13, 03:31 PM
carfan1111
Rookie

does anyone know if cpo will cover evaporator ac
Old 04-16-13, 06:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

does anyone know if cpo will cover evaporator ac
You would be best served by talking with your dealer regarding what your purchase included in a way of a warranty.
Old 04-16-13, 08:59 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

carfan1111, just sent you a message regarding GPS update.

Quick Reply: maintenance questions on 08 RX