RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Best / cheapest place to buy air filters?

Old 04-05-13, 11:56 AM
DriverDad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best / cheapest place to buy air filters?

I need to change both my air filters and was curious where you guys suggest buying them? The dealership charges crazy amounts of money for them. I now some people on this forum have used some filters they bought from Wal-Mart. Not sure if that is ok (using 3rd party filters) or if I should stick with the Lexus ones that can be bought online cheaper than the dealership prices.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-05-13, 12:00 PM
LEXRX04
Driver

the best place to go is with one of the vendors here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vendor_directory.php

http://www.sewellparts.com/

being a clublexus member has it perks, so make sure you see them out and sign up properly to get your discount.
Old 04-05-13, 12:06 PM
DriverDad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXRX04
the best place to go is with one of the vendors here...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vendor_directory.php

http://www.sewellparts.com/

being a clublexus member has it perks, so make sure you see them out and sign up properly to get your discount.
Thanks. Are these pretty easy to install yourself?
Old 04-05-13, 12:24 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cabin air filter is pretty easy. The engine air filter is not that straight forward. If could take some time if this is the first time you do that. But it is doable. Just to make sure not to mess up those small pipes connected to intake module, don't rush.
Old 04-05-13, 01:05 PM
DriverDad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcdyd
Cabin air filter is pretty easy. The engine air filter is not that straight forward. If could take some time if this is the first time you do that. But it is doable. Just to make sure not to mess up those small pipes connected to intake module, don't rush.
Thanks. Am I going to have to take some things out to get to the filter? Is not as simple as uninstalling the cover and putting in the new one?

Also do you find this link you sent me usually has the best prices on things like filters (even after adding in the shipping?)

What are your thoughts on buying a 3rd party from autozone / Wal-mart?
Old 04-05-13, 01:18 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDad
Thanks. Am I going to have to take some things out to get to the filter? Is not as simple as uninstalling the cover and putting in the new one?

Also do you find this link you sent me usually has the best prices on things like filters (even after adding in the shipping?)

What are your thoughts on buying a 3rd party from autozone / Wal-mart?
For engine air filter, you need to take two nuts off from the filter housing. You almost can't see the nuts close to the firewall and you need an 3/8 inch extension to use your wrench to loose the nuts. After that you may need to disconnect some small rubber pipes on the front-left side of the housing (on my 08) in order to raise the cover of the housing to get the old filter out and put the new filter in.

I haven't had needs to replace the cabin air filter. I just use my air compressor to blow the dust off. For engine air filter, I go to Walmart and buy Fram, or buy online from Amazon with free shipping, and replace it once every year.
Old 04-05-13, 05:36 PM
RX3302004
Pole Position

I haven't had my RX long enough but I will do these replacements myself. For other vehicles I've ordered from Amazon or Ebay and gotten brand name filters at good prices.
Old 04-08-13, 01:27 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

for engine filter, I am sticking with the OEM one: you can get them from sewell or your local toyota dealer

for cabin filer I used the one from Walmart....takes less then 10 minutes to replace.

good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-09-13, 08:08 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought them on e-bay.