RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DVD headrest install - how to with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 06:52 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking DVD headrest install - how to with pics

Okay, so the headrests are pre-made ready to install, and I have used this brand in 2 other vehicles.

The RX300 that I have yet to sell, has a set of 9" screens, and they have worked well for the past 2.5 years.

I chose 7" this time, as the 9" was way too big and bulky. They come with zipper flap covers, which are removable (and because the little one likes to kick at it, I will be leaving them off). Also, they came with a pair of wireless headphone, one remote, and one game controller (has built in games, but we never use it).

Here is the unit

As you can see, the new set are very close to the OEM size and shape, the black is slightly off, but you only really notice because of the camera flash, in regular lighting they look great.
Some comparison photos

Now for the install, and I did this without removing the seats from the vehicle:

Take out your OEM head, push the lock button and slide it all the way out.
Power the seat to the forward and up position, for the maximum working room.

Reach under the seat, you will feel 2 elastic straps that holds the lower seat-back leather flap, to the underside of the seat bottom (I did not photo this, as there was no way to take the shot). They are stretched over plastic circular clips and very easy to remove.

Now with the flap loose, bend it around so you can see behind it, you'll see various cables for the power seat and airbag.
There are two screws that hold the seat-back trim panel, to the seat frame (see the orange arrows in the photo)

Now the seat back will simply slide downward, and be free from the seat frame, and look like this (note I took the photo after I slid in the new headrest, you can see the cable on the right)

The kit comes with various sized plastic inserts for the headrest post holes. Unfortunately, they came as just plain white plastic (the last two sets had either chrome, or clear plastic). You will use the pair labeled 12mm diameter.

So I quickly painted them with an interior dye paint.

When they dry, like 5 minutes, push them into seat holes, and align the notch with the headrest button. (sorry but this one is blurry)

Next I decided to get power from the front power outlet on the bottom of the center tray, I just popped it up about an inch and was able to disconnect it, and pull out the cable.

Cut back the plastic shielding to make room for wire taps.

I used squeeze taps that accept blade connectors, which are easy to disconnect. You can leave the taps in-place without worrying about grounding-out.

Next I fed the Power and Ground wires along the console to about the middle, then under the carpet from the console to the cut-out for the heater vents.

Now connect the power leads from the headrest, to the new feeds you just ran, then wrap in wire loom. MAKE SURE YOU USE EXTRA LENGTH HERE, to allow for seat travel.

At this point you may want to wire additional item up. These headrests came with AV in and AV out. You can actually hook both units (driver and passenger) together, to allow for watching the same DVD on each TV, or you can use other sources, like an aftermarket head unit.
I did interconnect them in my RX300, to watch one movie on both screens, but have only used that option once. So this time I decided to let them be independent of each other.

So lastly, reinstall the seat back panel (reverse of removal), and reattach the elastic straps to hold the lower flap up. It should look like this (you can see the new wire loom in the photo).

FYI, you should not ever see this wire, the seat in the photo is so far forward, the cushion was nearly touching the glove box.

Now enjoy your new rear seat entertainment.

Last edited by defo; 04-20-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 11:11 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Hell yeah defo
Old 03-18-13, 08:49 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice DIY thanks for sharing!
Old 03-19-13, 02:52 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Model number and price?

It might be nice to have the model number of the units you installed and the price.
Old 03-19-13, 11:42 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

nice write up
Old 03-19-13, 01:38 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GadgetmanN
It might be nice to have the model number of the units you installed and the price.
Xtrons HD705 SD $210 shipped, from ebay.....came with the 2 headrests, plus 2 wireless headphones, 1 remote, and 1 game controller, plus various cables and seat post adapters. They are available in black, tan, and grey.

I can tell you from past purchases, that the black and the tan, match the Lexus interiors very well...so close, that it won't bother you, and others wont notice

not sure this is permitted, but here is a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTRONS-2X-Black-Twin-Car-Headrest-DVD-Player-7-HD-Screen-Game-FM-IR-Headphone-/111005088624?pt=US_Car_Monitors_w_Built_In_Player&hash=item19d86b3b70
Old 03-19-13, 05:48 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defo
Xtrons HD705 SD $210 shipped, from ebay.....came with the 2 headrests, plus 2 wireless headphones, 1 remote, and 1 game controller, plus various cables and seat post adapters. They are available in black, tan, and grey.

I can tell you from past purchases, that the black and the tan, match the Lexus interiors very well...so close, that it won't bother you, and others wont notice

not sure this is permitted, but here is a link
ebay
Wow, great price! If my kids were still young, I would jump on a set!
Old 03-21-13, 04:08 PM
defo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GadgetmanN
Wow, great price! If my kids were still young, I would jump on a set!
They are great for kids!
Old 07-21-15, 06:23 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Some real good stuff here, thought we'd let the front page in on it too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...rxs-headrests/
Old 11-26-20, 08:55 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by adpock
Some real good stuff here, thought we'd let the front page in on it too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...rxs-headrests/
They look & work great.........With the covers on most ppl don't even notice you have them....