RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 Starter Location???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 09:05 PM
johnnycf26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 Starter Location???

I need some help!

I need to replace the starter in my 2004 RX330. Can anyone help me out with a quick how to/explanation of location? I have replaced multiple starters before and am no stranger to working on cars. However, most of my experience has been working on older, simpler cars. Any help would be appreciated. I havent been able to find much info online about the 330 specifically.

Battery tested and in good halth.
Rapid "clicking" while turning key. No start.
100k miles
Old 02-20-13, 05:04 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnycf26
I need some help!

I need to replace the starter in my 2004 RX330. Can anyone help me out with a quick how to/explanation of location? I have replaced multiple starters before and am no stranger to working on cars. However, most of my experience has been working on older, simpler cars. Any help would be appreciated. I havent been able to find much info online about the 330 specifically.

Battery tested and in good halth.
Rapid "clicking" while turning key. No start.
100k miles
I believe it is underneath battery/airbox - you may have to remove both of these.
Old 02-20-13, 05:10 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Here is a writeup for a 1999 RX300. There will be differences but engine layout is very similar:

1. Disconnect the positive and negative cables from the battery. Disconnect the 2 bolts that connect the battery hold down bracket to the vehicle. All of that was done with a 10 mm socket. Remove the battery it and the plastic tray that it sits on from the vehicle.
2. Loosen the large clamp that secures the engine air intake to the big black plastic box that houses the air filter with a 10 mm socket or a large Phillips screwdriver.
3. Unplug the large electrical connector from the top of the air filter box by pressing the tab on the plastic connector and pulling. Unplug the small electrical connector from that same box top in the same manner. This 2nd plug plus a small black air hose the size of your finger are just below and to the left of the master cylinder when you are looking at the engine from the front. Squeeze the hose clamp with plyers and remove that small hose also.
4. Remove the top of the air filter box and the air filter.
5. Remove 3 10 mm bolts from the bottom of the now empty air filter box and pull the box out of the vehicle to gain access to the starter.
6. Depress the tab on the small wire connection that is attached to the starter and pull the wire out in the direction of where the battery had been. This tab was hard to find and press and I ended up getting a mirror to be able to see the tab and what needed to be depressed. I pressed from the bottom up and then pulled the connector out to my right.
7. Remove the 2 starter bolts that hold it to the engine block with a 14mm socket.
8. The starter was snug but you should be able to pull it out (to your right) and flip it up so that the starter gear is pointing towards you to have access to the large cable that is hooked to the starter for power.
9. Use 2 small screwdrivers to slip under the snaps on the plastic connector cover. Open it and slide it back down the cable.
10. Using a 12mm socket, remove the power cable from the starter.
11. Reverse this process to put the new starter in.
12. Enjoy the praise that your wife gives you for a job well done!
The following users liked this post:
Puttster (01-06-18)
Old 02-20-13, 05:11 AM
alchemist
Instructor

God luck. If you change it, please take pics and do a writeup (DIY) for the Lexus community.
Old 02-20-13, 02:06 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 23 Posts

It is below the battery and air filter box. You need top remove the battery and air filter box completely, as well as the battery platform below the battery. If I recall the starter bolts to the flywheel with a couple of 14mm bolts. Maybe 15mm.

Actually a easy job to do. Shouldn't take you more than an hour.
Old 02-21-13, 08:30 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

by the way the starter contacts may be bad....they can be purchased seperately.....Google Toyota starter contact replacement.....see here
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/instructions.html
Old 06-01-13, 12:42 PM
Despotable
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus RX330 starter issues

I had the same issue with my starter. Turn the key and you can hear the starter turning but the engin didnt turn. I took out the battery, the plastic plate under the battery just lifts out. There is a metal bracket with 2 screws that need to be removed.
Remove the air filter case, top and bottom. most of the bolts are 10mm.
The starter bolts are 12mm, they were in tight and I had to use an angled joint on my wrachet. Unbolt the screw on the silinoid first before unsrewing the ones to the body. The small connection is not easy, I think you need to press it down on the side for it to unlach.
I took it to the autoparts store. they said it was fine and I saw it working and it stuck out like it supposed to. I traded it in anyways stuck the new one in. I changed the airfilter, and cleaned the battery terminals and put some of that turminal lube on it. shut the hood and started right up!
I think takeing out and playing with the old one may have losened up the gizmo that makes the cog stick out, thats why I think it worked at the store.GL
Old 05-01-14, 10:36 AM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on this post. My wife's starter died suddenly yesterday and with the help of this post, I changed the starter rather easily in just about 90 minutes. The hardest part was remembering where the vacuum lines went! I should have taken a photo before I started.

Thanks again!!