RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Few questions on a used RX330

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 01:31 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions on a used RX330

Hi Experts,

Just went ahead and purchased a 2006 RX330 with 47k miles on it. Everything looks good on it, have a few questions though -
1. The Navigation on it seems outdated, is there a way I can get it updated? Someone did mention taking it to the dealer for the new DVD, but that would cost me anywhere between $350-400. Is there a cheaper option besides using google maps on my phone?
2. Am still debating whether to get extended warranty for it. The dealership is offering me a thrid party warranty which seems to be good but then again, 2.5k for 3 years seems quite a bit.
3. The car is well kept though there are a few stains on the leather seats(beige). Is there a good leather cleanser available in a home depot or somewhere that should ideally remove some stains and give the leather a good finish overall
4. Same for the mats that came with the car

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !
Old 02-14-13, 01:39 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

1 - Yes you can update but the "look" still looks early 2000's. Dealer can sell you updated disk and install it.
2 - Don't get an extended warranty unless it is through the dealer. 3rd party warranties are notoriously bad in most cases.
3- Most leather cleaners will work. Mothers makes a good one.
4 - Mats can be cleaned via most carpet cleaners. You can have them steam cleaned too.
Old 02-14-13, 03:02 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can order the Navigation DVD Update from Lexus for $169 and install it yourself (very easy).

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php
Old 02-14-13, 03:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, hjanweja.

Regarding the Navigation DVD...

First, create an account at Sewell Lexus and indicate during the registration process that you are a member of Club Lexus. They are a sponsor here.

https://secure.sewellparts.com/account/create.html

Once you are registered and logged in you can add the DVD to your cart:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/5045.html

Here are the installation instructions for the DVD. Very easy to do.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/Nav...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 02-14-13, 04:31 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couple thoughts: For leather work check out leatherique(dot)com. George sells a fantastic leather cleaner and rejuvenation fluid that makes the seats as supple as they were new. He also sells a very good leather dye that I have repaired blemishes with for years. Works quite well. Runs a class operation.
Regarding the aftermarket warranties, some are you pay first and deductibles right and left. Others pay directly to the dealer or mechanic with zero fuss. Most need a prior authorization including the Lexus offering. I have used ASC and they have been first rate. Lexus is troublefree so a 3 year 36K mile plan is no more than $1500. I am looking into a new offering that might be even less - closer to $1000.
Old 02-15-13, 08:18 AM
stevek1
Driver School Candidate

The navigation program provided by lexus, at least in our years (I have a 2007) is not very good. I have used garmins for years and they are by far the better deal. we have one mounted on the beanbag and just slip it onto the dashboard when we want it. I have put in addresses on the Garmin and the Lexus nav and the garmin gives a quicker better route every time, sometimes as much as half again as fast on a 1 hour trip across country. For around $100 and for a max of $300 for their best unit you will get lifetime maps, real time traffic information, speed limit and notification when you are over the speed limit, as well as the ability to put in special interest files like red light camera alerts, a list of all the starbucks stores, and etc.

Or, if that doesn't appeal to you, check out theandroid integration available through VaisTech. It would be around $800 installed, but you would have available anything that is on your phone. wish i had it!
Old 02-25-13, 03:14 PM
silverjack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hjanweja
Hi Experts,

Just went ahead and purchased a 2006 RX330 with 47k miles on it. Everything looks good on it, have a few questions though -
1. The Navigation on it seems outdated, is there a way I can get it updated? Someone did mention taking it to the dealer for the new DVD, but that would cost me anywhere between $350-400. Is there a cheaper option besides using google maps on my phone?
2. Am still debating whether to get extended warranty for it. The dealership is offering me a thrid party warranty which seems to be good but then again, 2.5k for 3 years seems quite a bit.
3. The car is well kept though there are a few stains on the leather seats(beige). Is there a good leather cleanser available in a home depot or somewhere that should ideally remove some stains and give the leather a good finish overall
4. Same for the mats that came with the car

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

Hi Hjanweja,

Just wondering if the price for you 06 RX is above or below 20K ?
Old 02-26-13, 11:20 AM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default price

wondering also::
Old 02-27-13, 09:46 AM
katzjamr
Driver

Originally Posted by fensterlip
Couple thoughts: For leather work check out leatherique(dot)com. George sells a fantastic leather cleaner and rejuvenation fluid that makes the seats as supple as they were new. He also sells a very good leather dye that I have repaired blemishes with for years. Works quite well. Runs a class operation.
Regarding the aftermarket warranties, some are you pay first and deductibles right and left. Others pay directly to the dealer or mechanic with zero fuss. Most need a prior authorization including the Lexus offering. I have used ASC and they have been first rate. Lexus is troublefree so a 3 year 36K mile plan is no more than $1500. I am looking into a new offering that might be even less - closer to $1000.
Fensterlip provides very good advice regarding the leather. Resist the urge to use strong cleaners on the leather, it will rob the natural oils and lead to premature cracking and drying.
Many people do not know that Woolite laundry soap is safe for leather and it should be cleaned before conditioning. Mix some of the liquid woolite with water and apply with a towel, then wipe with a clean damp towel, then use a conditioner like Lexol, (that is the lexus product sold at dealers but u can buy lexol at your auto parts store). You will find the two step process will give much better results than using a one step cleaner conditioner. Always vaccum your seats first to get sand and loose soil out first so you are not rubbing sand and abrasives around while you clean. make sure you also condition the steering wheel and especially the leather shift area that gets constant wear.
Old 03-04-13, 09:23 AM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silverjack
Hi Hjanweja,

Just wondering if the price for you 06 RX is above or below 20K ?
Almost 20k minus the taxes and warranty !
Old 03-11-13, 03:58 AM
jamieZ
Rookie

That's what i paid last April for a 2006 with 50K and all the extra stuff like nav and back-up camera. No extended warranty. Didn't show on the car-fax but it was involved in a minor accident. As buddy said, up here in Canada the car information Package isn't worth the paper it's written on. The Rx has been great. Love it. I had a GMC Sierra and most of the buddies have trucks. Got some flack. I don't care. The Lexus has proven itself time and time agin. It's one tough customer. jamie
Old 03-11-13, 10:12 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I just PM'd you a link
You can purchase the new 12.1 ver. NAV DVD for $49
Old 03-11-13, 02:50 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by defo
I just PM'd you a link
You can purchase the new 12.1 ver. NAV DVD for $49
It has to be a bootleg copy for that price. The OEM 12.1 version DVD sells for $169 and is never discounted.