RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Getting to those 3 spark plugs in the back

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 04:20 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Getting to those 3 spark plugs in the back

Hi, Ive looked thru the threads and havent come across a good DIY w/pics on how to get to the 3 spark plugs on the rear of the engine for a 04 RX330. I swear these are the toughest to get to. Almost makes you think you have to take off the wiper cowl, etc which seems insane. Folks in the forum have provioded great tutorials over the yrs and this is one I havent seen. Anybody in th3 community that can assist? thanks!!!
Old 01-29-13, 06:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Hi, Ive looked thru the threads and havent come across a good DIY w/pics on how to get to the 3 spark plugs on the rear of the engine for a 04 RX330. I swear these are the toughest to get to. Almost makes you think you have to take off the wiper cowl, etc which seems insane. Folks in the forum have provioded great tutorials over the yrs and this is one I havent seen. Anybody in th3 community that can assist? thanks!!!
Like most questions, a little persistence is all that is needed to find what you are looking to find. Hope this helps a bit:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ug-change.html
Old 01-29-13, 07:19 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Screw all that. Done the job twice now. No need to mess with the cowl.

Remove the air intake asembly and throttle body.

Remove a few other vacuum hoses and you can reach between the manifold and the valve cover.

However, if you can use a stubby 12 mm wrench you can remive the rear bracket bolts of the throttle body and manifold and remove the top of the manifold easily via the 10 bolts attaching it.

Once you have that off it is VERY easy to get to.
Old 01-29-13, 08:11 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Screw all that. Done the job twice now. No need to mess with the cowl.

Remove the air intake asembly and throttle body.

Remove a few other vacuum hoses and you can reach between the manifold and the valve cover.

However, if you can use a stubby 12 mm wrench you can remive the rear bracket bolts of the throttle body and manifold and remove the top of the manifold easily via the 10 bolts attaching it.

Once you have that off it is VERY easy to get to.
this is exactly how i plan to do it.
Old 01-30-13, 04:54 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Would anyone have a good step by step w.photos? Do any of the gaskets require sealants? Are there any pressurized fluid lines that need tab disconnected?
Old 01-30-13, 06:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Would anyone have a good step by step w.photos? Do any of the gaskets require sealants? Are there any pressurized fluid lines that need tab disconnected?
I've done this for my 1st gen RX which is similar and even the one time that I did it with the throttle body, never did anything with gaskets and sealant nor did I need to disconnect any pressured lines. Having seen a neighbor's 2nd gen, should be similar in this respect.
Old 01-30-13, 06:28 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Based on the linl above,the exploded view does show gaskets; (the 2nd gen rx330 is a different set up engine for sure). Anyone brave enough to set up a DIY post w/pics?
Old 01-30-13, 07:15 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

More than I wanted to tackle. It`s called Thompson Lexus.
Old 01-30-13, 07:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've done this for my 1st gen RX which is similar and even the one time that I did it with the throttle body, never did anything with gaskets and sealant nor did I need to disconnect any pressured lines. Having seen a neighbor's 2nd gen, should be similar in this respect.

Aw, your just the man Lex!
Old 01-30-13, 10:24 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

LOL....this would be such a huge new DIY post if someone was willing to tackle it...mandyfig ususally comes up w/something great...any takers?
Old 01-30-13, 04:46 PM
alchemist
Instructor

LOL....this would be such a huge new DIY post if someone was willing to tackle it...mandyfig ususally comes up w/something great...any takers?
If I don't chicken out and I actually do it, I will take pics and write up a DIY.
Old 01-30-13, 06:20 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Talking

Great....we need a hero.....this would be the most welcomed and used DIY post and save each user hundreds of $$$$....don't let us down
Old 01-30-13, 07:18 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

I may replace an injector on the rear rail,so I will post a DIY with photos on ho to do it. It is actually pretty easy minus the rear bracket bolts that attach to the rear of the throttle body and the manifold. Use a 12mm stubby wrench (ratcheting if ya got it) and you can easily reach behind there and loosen those bolts.

The air box and the linkage to the throttle body is easy to take out. Start at the air filter and move on back to the manifold. Once there, loosen the 10 bolts (some are allen head), and you are good to go.

Just don't mess with the manifold seal and you are good to get at the rear coils and plugs.
Old 01-30-13, 07:22 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

OH ALMOST FORGOT.....

Use a WHITE MARKER to mark vacuum lines with numbers, dots, or lines to make sure you don't get them mixed up as you remove them from the air intake etc.

This is any easy tip that will help you not get confused when you put it back together.
Old 01-30-13, 07:48 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Good stuff

Quick Reply: Getting to those 3 spark plugs in the back