RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

need maintenance advice on 08 RX350 70k miles

Old 01-20-13, 08:45 PM
rxdrivr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need maintenance advice on 08 RX350 70k miles

This 08 RX350 with 70k miles has only had routine oil changes/tire rotations. Not sure about anything else. It has never been back to a Lexus dealer for any inspections or service. Car looks to be in good physical condition and accident free.

A few questions:
1) Is it fine to go 70k with oil changes only? What other maintenance at a minimum is required? I see brake fluid and air filter replacement on the recommended list, but is it fine if these haven't ever been done after 70k miles?

2) How should it be inspected and serviced -- taken to a good local mechanic, to a toyota dealer, or to a Lexus dealer? I just need an honest assessment and have work performed to keep this car running another ~60k miles.

3) I checked for headlight condensation and wheel bearing issue (didn't hear anything). Any other issues to check given this maintenance history?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-13, 09:15 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Air filter, brake fluid, coolant flush, brake pads, tire roation, spark plugs (90k), cabin filter, tranny fluid (drain/fill @ 90k), start doing fuel injection cleaner every oil change.

This is what i would do but i take my cars to 250k. For only another 60k you could probably get away with air and cabin filter every 15k and spark plugs at 90k.
Old 01-20-13, 09:16 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I would go to toyota dealer or better yet local mechanic with toyota experience who is reputable
Old 01-20-13, 10:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdrivr
This 08 RX350 with 70k miles has only had routine oil changes/tire rotations. Not sure about anything else. It has never been back to a Lexus dealer for any inspections or service. Car looks to be in good physical condition and accident free.

A few questions:
1) Is it fine to go 70k with oil changes only? What other maintenance at a minimum is required? I see brake fluid and air filter replacement on the recommended list, but is it fine if these haven't ever been done after 70k miles?

2) How should it be inspected and serviced -- taken to a good local mechanic, to a toyota dealer, or to a Lexus dealer? I just need an honest assessment and have work performed to keep this car running another ~60k miles.

3) I checked for headlight condensation and wheel bearing issue (didn't hear anything). Any other issues to check given this maintenance history?

Thanks in advance
Welcome to Club Lexus, rxdrivr.

Have you registered this RX with Lexus? If not, get your VIN ready and go to the following URL to register your vehicle. Afterwards, you can see any servicing done at a Lexus dealership and any recalls still open for your RX.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

I would have the shop perform the following if you see they do not show up in the service history. Spend the money to get a good inspection as a reference point so you know the actual condition of your RX.

* Check/Replace all fluids and filters. You can check and replace the cabin filter very easily yourself. Note: transmission fluid is WS and is stated that it does not need replacing. You should be fine with that for now. Others, such as brake fluid, coolant, and power steering fluid (actually DEXRON ATF) should be inspected and replaced as needed. If your RX is AWD you will want to change the fluid in the rear differential.

* How are the wiper blades? Front and rear?

* Check condition of brake pads and rotors. How much life left? Get measurements.

* Check condition of suspension to include the front rack, front struts and rear shocks.

Spark plugs are rated for 120K miles before needing replacement. Much everything else is just inspection.

Go to your local auto parts store and grab a 20oz. bottle of Chevron Techron. Give your RX a treat.

Originally Posted by alchemist
I would go to toyota dealer or better yet local mechanic with toyota experience who is reputable
+1 on Toyota dealership or independent shop specializing in Toyota. Do not get sold on flushes nor injector cleanings. All that is garbage.
Old 01-21-13, 06:11 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum rxdrivr. I believe you will enjoy your new RX and this forum can help you do so.

The advice to see your Lexus dealer and determine if any recalls have been done, is top of my list of suggestions. If a recall is needed bring the vehicle in on empty as most Lexus dealers will top off your gas tank when a recall is needed.

Check the recalls before doing maintenance items yourself as the recall might just replace the items/fluids you were going to replace.

If you don't have the owners manual, register your RX on the Lexus site listed previously and you can get a new one sent to you for free and also have access to the online PDF version. You can also see any Lexus service done to the vehicle, if any.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

To your question, re: only basic maintenance for 70k. It is impossible to know what has been overlooked but the vehicle is well built and should last 2-3 times the mileage it currently has, IMO. I'd be tempted to have a Lexus dealer perform the costly, but thorough, 60k maintenance and inspection just to know what condition the vehicle is in and what may need attention. They will test the battery condition, measure the brake pads and rotors, replace several fluids, air and cabin filters and many inspections of hoses, look for leaks, inspect for worn suspension components, etc. I expect this 60k service to come in at around $400-$500 at a Lexus dealer. If you have a good local mechanic you can print out the 60k service items from the PDF and have him do all the work and save a bit of cash. Either way, I'd want to know exactly what condition the RX is in. I'd likely also switch over to a pure synthetic oil too. The basic service can be done at a Toyota dealer as well usually for less cost. The more expensive service cost is at the 90k mark when a timing belt replacement is suggested. The 30k, 60k and 90k intervals are the most costly and the most extensive in scope.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-21-13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-21-13, 07:56 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2008 RX350 has a timing chain, so you save $$$ not having to change a belt. The coolant is recommended by Lexus to be changed at 100,000 miles. Follow the advice by RX330inFL and register the vehicle with Lexus, that way you will know what maintenance has been done by Lexus on the vehicle.
Old 01-21-13, 08:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you get the 60K service done? Do not know if the Rx330 and RX350 are on the same schedule. Other than oil changes, there are other customary things like brake fluid, tranny fluid, etc..