RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is it true that electronics drain battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 08:28 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gloamin
Is it true that electronics drain battery?
First of all, depends on the vehicle. Second, in most cases they shouldn't but they can. There's no single answer to your question that will apply to every case out there.

In Sept of '11, I had the battery replaced because the dealer (who I do trust) said the electronics on the newer cars will slowly drain the battery if not driven every three days or so.
I'm not aware of any car that should totally drain after 3 days. Most cars should be able to sit for at least a month if everything's in proper working order but, again, it depends on the specific vehicle. I'd suggest reconsidering your trust in the dealer at least on that point (unless you've left out some details). Trust isn't just a matter of who but what. There are certain friends I'd trust on anything but recommendations for food, movies, etc.

I go home with a new battery and in June of '12, car won't start.....battery was down and they jumped it and I went home happy go lucky,
All that said above, new batteries are rarely completely full and you need to do a bit of regular driving over a period of a number of days (depends on how much you drive) to get the battery up to where it needs to be. Or use a battery tender to fully charge it. Battery performance can be affected in the long run if you fail to do so.

Last edited by takeshi74; 01-07-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-07-13, 10:08 AM
gloamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX330 and Takeshi, I gave you a visual on the model of the remote, but it looks like there's not much difference. Taking a magnifying glass, I found the actual model (wow, the hike in price for service at the dealer must be where they make their money)/sarcasm My model is 5bcrp10p and I found the programming guide and manual. Not that it tells me which button is which and there is no answer about the key fob battery being removed safely for long periods of time,

Takeshi, I'll trust the dealer and the shop who routinely services my Rx330, but I live 50 miles from the dealer and the shop locally, which I've always trusted (last car they kept running 12 years) but it is the personnel who continue to tell me the car must be driven every 3 days because of the "electronic modules" that annoys me. Coming here, to this forum, has given me a better answer than that. I'll also bookmark those pages and talk with the dealer and see what they say about it being driven.

Many thanks again, gents.