RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 03:39 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default unlikely

Keithcp, unless you have an intimate relationship with a Lexus dealer (i.e. they say Hi Keith when you roll in and they've done every service to the vehicle), the chances of any relief are small. And even if the dealer is your brother, it still might be small. Lexus Canada has no interest in your problem, it's just another old Lexus.

If the engine is ruined, I would get an independent shop to find you a used engine. The job will be $3000 or more, but it's probably the only path forward.

Old 07-30-14, 11:25 AM
keithcp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part replaced at no charge to me

Got Lexus Canada involved and dealer has replaced the part at no charge. I told them that I am still concerned about possible engine damage and they said it should be fine but if there are future problems related to this part they will investigate at that point. To be honest, I'm quite happy with the way they have handled it and completely expected to get roadblocks along the way.
I'm still leery at the potential engine damage but I don't feel like fighting them further on it.
Thanks for your feedback
Old 08-14-14, 12:48 AM
jednav
Driver

Dealer replaced defective part with the updated metal pipe for my cost of $90.00. Am happy with the goodwill extended having bought my RX and ES and having all its regular maintenance service from them.
Old 08-15-14, 02:48 PM
rick2130
Driver School Candidate

Default Warning RX350 owner

There's a know and major problem that can cause engine failure but Toyota/Lexus are being blind regarding this. As of today we had 2008 rx350 with 50,000 km with major engine leak. In few minutes you will loose 6.5 liter of oil. Upon diagnostic the left oil bypass pipe/rubber hose has degrade. I suggest inspect that rubber hose before it's too late
Old 08-16-14, 12:40 AM
jednav
Driver

check out other thread " 2007 RX Oil line failure"
Old 08-28-14, 01:14 PM
lvn098
Rookie

Default Warranty Enhancement Notification

Just received letter from Lexus regarding the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. They won't replace it unless there is a leak and even if there is a leak, Lexus will perform diagnosis to determine if it's related to the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. If it's not the pipe then you'll have to pay for the service.

Furthermore, they will only cover this part for 10 years or 150,000 miles (from the date of first use), which ever comes first.

I just wish they'd go ahead and replace the rubber pipe now, sooner or later it's going to leak and when it does, the engine may go with it.

What can we do to get Lexus to replace the pipe for free? Any thought?
Old 08-28-14, 04:18 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lvn098
Just received letter from Lexus regarding the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. They won't replace it unless there is a leak and even if there is a leak, Lexus will perform diagnosis to determine if it's related to the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. If it's not the pipe then you'll have to pay for the service. What can we do to get Lexus to replace the pipe for free? Any thought?
It's not going to happen unless the NHTSA forces them to do a recall. There are millions of RX's and other Toyota vehicles that use this oil cooler pipe. The cost is not insignificant. You can file a complaint on the NHTSA website.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners
Old 09-05-14, 08:44 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by jednav
Dealer replaced defective part with the updated metal pipe for my cost of $90.00. Am happy with the goodwill extended having bought my RX and ES and having all its regular maintenance service from them.
Dealer further waived the $90.00. Hence, my replacement is totally FREE!!
Old 09-16-14, 06:07 PM
Zieke
Driver School Candidate

I've read all the posts on the oil lines and decided to have it replaced to keep the inevitable from happening. Bot the parts from Sewell, and had my Toyota dealer (closer) install them. I then called Lexus, explained what I had done. With 70k on it (2007RX350) I faxed the bill to them along with proof of ownership. They covered EVERYTHING with the goodwill warranty. I also asked the Lexus dealer about the VVI oil line recall. They said it did not apply to my car, which I'm not sure as to why it does not apply.
Old 09-20-14, 08:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Good to know. So how does one find out if my Lexus was part of this recall & if it was ever done? It's in immaculate shape but I can't see this part in the garage. Can someone point out where it's located? I went under the vehicle but it's all covered. Can't see any of the engine from underneath. Thanks,
Old 09-22-14, 03:49 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default from above

I think you can see a tiny bit of the part from above. I'll try and take a picture.
Old 09-22-14, 04:54 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zieke
I've read all the posts on the oil lines and decided to have it replaced to keep the inevitable from happening. Bot the parts from Sewell, and had my Toyota dealer (closer) install them. I then called Lexus, explained what I had done. With 70k on it (2007RX350) I faxed the bill to them along with proof of ownership. They covered EVERYTHING with the goodwill warranty. I also asked the Lexus dealer about the VVI oil line recall. They said it did not apply to my car, which I'm not sure as to why it does not apply.
Check very carefully. The vvt-i oil line issue applies to all 2GR-FE 3.5L engines manufactured before April 2008.

I am staring at a $15K "estimate" from a Toyota dealer for a 2007 Lexus ES350. PM me if you want a copy. The Lexus dealer told her the oil line issue did not apply to her car also despite the fact it had ruptured and her engine was toast.. She ended up putting a used engine in it for $5K.

Last edited by Paul3637; 09-22-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 10:38 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truenorth
I think you can see a tiny bit of the part from above. I'll try and take a picture.
Thank you. Just got word as I had my friend who's been our family mechanic over ten years come over today and verified that I do indeed have the rubber hoses. However he said they looked new. As do the belts.. But I'm sure your pic would be helpful to us non mechanical types for future reference. I would have taken one but I'm 90 miles away at the moment.
Old 09-29-14, 05:02 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by Paul3637
Check very carefully. The vvt-i oil line issue applies to all 2GR-FE 3.5L engines manufactured before April 2008.

I am staring at a $15K "estimate" from a Toyota dealer for a 2007 Lexus ES350. PM me if you want a copy. The Lexus dealer told her the oil line issue did not apply to her car also despite the fact it had ruptured and her engine was toast.. She ended up putting a used engine in it for $5K.
Is the vvt-i oil line replacement part metal?
Old 10-19-14, 08:55 PM
binuminu
Driver School Candidate

Default Cooler pipe issue

Wife was driving RX350 2008 70K miles and noticed clicking sound and oil level indicator came on

Drove on for 10 km, noticed 3 other indicator lights come on.

Stopped and son discovered a pool of oil under the engine.

When I got there the dipstick showed it is fully dry. We refilled oil and drove 5km to home with only oil level low indicator on. Clicking sound continued.

Oil was dripping all the way home. Removed the plastic cover and noticed one of the robber hoses ripped in the oil cooler assembly. In fact the rubber was bulged in the rest of the hose. Had checked oil after 20 minutes of stopping and was dry.

It is clear from all the posts that the parts with rubber hose in photos here is my culprit too. About a year back, we had a similar incident, with low oil indicator coming one, had a DIY mechanic look at it and found the robber hose broken. We did not know about this faulty part and at the time had replaced just the one broken rubber hose and was fine till today, although this time there may be more potential for engine damage. Now I guess I have to get whole assembly replaced by someone.

I have no idea of the extent of engine damage and so wondering if it is worth it to tow it it to Lexus service or Toyota service in Calgary. May it is better to order the part from Sewell and take to Toyota, and hope that if any damage, then it is only going to affect in the long term. But here would be no other way to know, right?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Binu

Last edited by binuminu; 10-19-14 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add details

Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)