Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007 RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 07-28-14, 03:39 AM   #76
truenorth
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default unlikely

Keithcp, unless you have an intimate relationship with a Lexus dealer (i.e. they say Hi Keith when you roll in and they've done every service to the vehicle), the chances of any relief are small. And even if the dealer is your brother, it still might be small. Lexus Canada has no interest in your problem, it's just another old Lexus.

If the engine is ruined, I would get an independent shop to find you a used engine. The job will be $3000 or more, but it's probably the only path forward.

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 11:25 AM   #77
keithcp
Driver School Candidate

Default Part replaced at no charge to me

Got Lexus Canada involved and dealer has replaced the part at no charge. I told them that I am still concerned about possible engine damage and they said it should be fine but if there are future problems related to this part they will investigate at that point. To be honest, I'm quite happy with the way they have handled it and completely expected to get roadblocks along the way.
I'm still leery at the potential engine damage but I don't feel like fighting them further on it.
Thanks for your feedback
keithcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 12:48 AM   #78
jednav
Driver

Dealer replaced defective part with the updated metal pipe for my cost of $90.00. Am happy with the goodwill extended having bought my RX and ES and having all its regular maintenance service from them.
jednav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 01:14 PM   #79
lvn098
Rookie

Default Warranty Enhancement Notification

Just received letter from Lexus regarding the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. They won't replace it unless there is a leak and even if there is a leak, Lexus will perform diagnosis to determine if it's related to the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. If it's not the pipe then you'll have to pay for the service.

Furthermore, they will only cover this part for 10 years or 150,000 miles (from the date of first use), which ever comes first.

I just wish they'd go ahead and replace the rubber pipe now, sooner or later it's going to leak and when it does, the engine may go with it.

What can we do to get Lexus to replace the pipe for free? Any thought?
lvn098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 04:18 PM   #80
Rainbird
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvn098 View Post
Just received letter from Lexus regarding the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. They won't replace it unless there is a leak and even if there is a leak, Lexus will perform diagnosis to determine if it's related to the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe. If it's not the pipe then you'll have to pay for the service. What can we do to get Lexus to replace the pipe for free? Any thought?
It's not going to happen unless the NHTSA forces them to do a recall. There are millions of RX's and other Toyota vehicles that use this oil cooler pipe. The cost is not insignificant. You can file a complaint on the NHTSA website.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners
Old 09-05-14, 08:44 PM   #81
jednav
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednav View Post
Dealer replaced defective part with the updated metal pipe for my cost of $90.00. Am happy with the goodwill extended having bought my RX and ES and having all its regular maintenance service from them.
Dealer further waived the $90.00. Hence, my replacement is totally FREE!!
jednav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 06:07 PM   #82
Zieke
Driver School Candidate

I've read all the posts on the oil lines and decided to have it replaced to keep the inevitable from happening. Bot the parts from Sewell, and had my Toyota dealer (closer) install them. I then called Lexus, explained what I had done. With 70k on it (2007RX350) I faxed the bill to them along with proof of ownership. They covered EVERYTHING with the goodwill warranty. I also asked the Lexus dealer about the VVI oil line recall. They said it did not apply to my car, which I'm not sure as to why it does not apply.
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-14, 06:07 PM

Tags
2007, 2010, 350, battery, car, club, diagram, engine, es, fix, hose, lexus, oil, precedent, rubber, rx, rx350