RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)

Old 02-23-14, 06:49 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kknguyen11
Rx330inFL

Excellent; however I think you missed my point or my question, these part was only came with the RX had Towing Package or it came with ALL RX 350? that was what I am asking? I read all the post but was not very clear that why I was wonder? hope you understand.

correct, does not matter how large the glass was but is it still half full or half empty?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen
If you read this thread in all its entirety, you would see post #46 I ask the same question and post #47 answers it.
Old 02-24-14, 03:50 PM
kknguyen11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi All

Like I said I bought 2008 rx350 2 wheel drive and no towing package, I was asking everybody in here that does my RX came with these VVT-i oil hoses, seem like all the answer I got that I do have it, well today I went to my mechanic shop to do the oil change and transmission oil change, I printed out the copy of the item so we can looking for it, 2 mechanic and I, we did not located these hoses, my conclusion is it does not come if you do not have a towing package and/or 4 wheel drive, is there everybody have different opinion?

V/r

Khoi nguyen
Old 02-25-14, 07:17 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Line

I had a 2007 RX350 FWD. And they did the recall for oil line on it. It didn't have towing.
Old 03-03-14, 04:52 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX350 oil line

I believe that all RX350s 2007 to partway through 2011 have the faulty part. Other Toyota vehicles that use the 350 engine also have the faulty part, but some times it was an "option". For example, I think the some Siennas have it, associated with a "towing package". You would have to check for your specific vehicle.

Here's a list of some of them. => http://www.mediafire.com/view/?05kr443m2wup2e3

For 350s, see post 7 for the serial numbers.

Last edited by truenorth; 03-03-14 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 01:10 PM
UDub2k4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We have a 2007 RX350 with 82,000 miles. Sure enough, without warning, a week ago our oil line blew, and there was apparently 1 quart of oil left when it got to the dealership. They fixed it for $400+, and assured us we had escaped disaster as there didn't seem to be any damage to the engine. Fast forward to a few days ago when my wife heard a clicking sound when driving between 20~30mph. Took it straight to dealership, and was assured nothing was wrong and encouraged to come pick up quickly since my wife was probably just "oversensitive" to any issues. I drove it around for 10 minutes and noticed the sound. Got the dealership mechanic to go for a quick ride and he heard it. He said he has never heard that kind of sound before. Fast forward 3 more days, and they apparently think it is a damaged cam gear, but won't know for sure unless they remove the engine, a process which will apparently cost a few thousand without guaranteed results. Really pissed off with their estimate of $3800~$5800 for something that seems completely preventable. We bought it as a Certified Used in '09, so we're past all Lexus warranties. Has anyone had any success fighting Lexus on this? Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit?
Old 04-24-14, 03:06 PM
Cricket10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDub2k4
Hello. We have a 2007 RX350 with 82,000 miles. Sure enough, without warning, a week ago our oil line blew, and there was apparently 1 quart of oil left when it got to the dealership. They fixed it for $400+, and assured us we had escaped disaster as there didn't seem to be any damage to the engine. Fast forward to a few days ago when my wife heard a clicking sound when driving between 20~30mph. Took it straight to dealership, and was assured nothing was wrong and encouraged to come pick up quickly since my wife was probably just "oversensitive" to any issues. I drove it around for 10 minutes and noticed the sound. Got the dealership mechanic to go for a quick ride and he heard it. He said he has never heard that kind of sound before. Fast forward 3 more days, and they apparently think it is a damaged cam gear, but won't know for sure unless they remove the engine, a process which will apparently cost a few thousand without guaranteed results. Really pissed off with their estimate of $3800~$5800 for something that seems completely preventable. We bought it as a Certified Used in '09, so we're past all Lexus warranties. Has anyone had any success fighting Lexus on this? Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I may be interested in a class action lawsuit.
I own a 2007 RX 350, with 68,000 miles. I also had catastrophic consequences due to the rupture of the VVTI oil hose. I started my car up and it started to sound like a lawn mower and also a clicking noise. The oil light went on as did the check engine light. We checked the oil which was low so we filled it up. The noise continued so I had it towed to the Toyota dealer, and then the Lexus dealer. Both confirmed it was the VVTI oil hose. Toyota has just quoted $7000 to replace the engine. I have contacted Lexus of Oakland - horrible customer service and being ignored from the owner Ed Fitzpatrick. I also contacted Lexus corporate who tells me that my VIN was not included in the "limited service campaign" last year (even though the 2007 RX 350 was included) and they take no responsibility for my car.

Yes, I am contacting a lawyer in the Bay Area of CA and may be interested in class action. They clearly knew about this issue as we can see from all of the documented cases of the engine getting destroyed. They failed to let me know of the service campaign last year. This is a faulty part on the part of Lexus and they should take responsibility. .
Old 04-26-14, 12:41 PM
Cricket10
Driver School Candidate

UDub2k4,

If you (or anyone reading this) would like to pursue a case against Lexus due to their faulty VVTi oil hose busting and causing consequences -in my case complete engine failure with a quote of $8K to replace- please email me at jodylerner1@yahoo.com.

Thank you
Old 04-28-14, 09:39 AM
UDub2k4
Driver School Candidate

Default Forced to Trade-In Our RX

I'd love to join a class action on this, but I'm not sure I have legal standing, anymore, since we finally had to just trade-in our RX. I did my research, wrote a very detailed and persuasive letter to both the local Lexus dealership, as well as Lexus Corporate Customer Service, but no one seemed the least bit sympathetic. The most I got was reimbursement for the oil cooler line replacement ($400). We really couldn't face paying the quoted $2800 diagnostic, so we traded it in to the dealership at $2 to $4k less than we likely could have got prior to the oil cooler line blowing up. I had worked my way up to the District Manager at Lexus Corporate, but since I was out of warranty (by a mere year and half beyond my Certified Lexus warranty), no one seemed to care. Less than a week after we traded it in, you'll never guess which vehicle was already listed for sale on the dealership's website...

Originally Posted by Cricket10
UDub2k4,

If you (or anyone reading this) would like to pursue a case against Lexus due to their faulty VVTi oil hose busting and causing consequences -in my case complete engine failure with a quote of $8K to replace- please email me at jodylerner1@yahoo.com.

Thank you
Old 07-17-14, 06:11 AM
99stang
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks.

I'm considering buying this RX350.
We really like the color combo and it's FWD, which should do a bit better on gas.
We drove a 2007 AWD model locally with 93K on it and my wife really likes it. The seats were very comfy.

Anyhow, it is a 2009 and appears to have been manufactured in Oct, 2008.

10/13/2008 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to North Carolina

It does not have the towing package.
Would this vehicle be at risk of this external oil cooler hose issue?
I'm thinking with no towing package, there would be no external oil cooler.
It's about 2 hours away, so I can't exactly go crawl under it to look.

If I bought this, I'm just trying to figure what sort of maintenance I would want to do.
I believe the vvti thing needs fixed regardless, correct?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-14, 08:25 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would review the Lexus service history for this vehicle (link below, you need the VIN). The oil hose recall would be listed and described as 9LH Replace VVT-I Oil Hose.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Old 07-21-14, 03:40 AM
truenorth
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A stock 2009 has the vvt and the oil cooler time bomb hoses. Check that they've been replaced. If not, and the vehicle is a great buy, do it immediately.
Old 07-21-14, 04:44 PM
keithcp
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm experiencing same problem

Originally Posted by truenorth
I was driving this, my wife’s car, when she smelled something like oil burning. I looked around for a truck or something, then within twenty seconds the oil light on the dash flashed quickly. I slowed, found a place to pull over and had it towed to the closest Toyota dealer. The nearest Lexus dealer was fifty miles away so we weren't going there.

I watched as the mechanic pulled the shrouding off and found the leak. There was just about no oil in the engine. It had puked its whole oil load out on the highway in under twenty seconds. The mechanic put some oil in it, ran it for about five seconds and got a good oil shower.

It seems that this engine requires some oil cooling and in their infinite wisdom, Toyota ran oil lines outside the block and up to the oil cooler which is some kind of interface with the cooling system. Unbelievably, these high pressure oil lines are rubber. In this case one of the rubber lines had a small leak which was torn open by the pressure.

Here's a picture of the part.

On the engine, this two hose manifold part is close to the front of the engine, low on the left side (radiator side). In the diagram below, I've colored it red.

A Toyota dealer can't order a Lexus part all that easily, and it took several days for the part to arrive and get installed. At this time the Toyota dealer is unsure of the extent of the engine damage. All the mechanics that looked at this part, and there have been many, shake their heads. Running 80psi (or more) oil in a rubber hose is a time bomb, a guaranteed failure ahead. It was interesting to see that the replacement part is now hard metal pipes, but I believe that the change was not made until the 2012 models. So, at least 2007 to 2011 engines have this fault, and perhaps earlier.

Folks, Mr. Toyoda was called before the United States Congress in February 2010 to explain to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform how Toyota had lost its way in safety, quality and reliability. My engine might be ruined, and I fully believe that the 2007 to 2009 Toyotas are the worst that Toyota has ever manufactured. Junk.

This faulty part is much more dangerous to your vehicle that the VVT oil hose in my opinion. It is the subject of a technical service bulletin. Maybe get yours swapped to the new part. It's maybe $400 to do it, but it might save you some real financial pain.

Hello Truenorth, I also live in Canada. Ottawa as a matter of fact.
Do I have any recourse on this? I had the exact same problem and had it towed to my mechanic. He is currently investigating but says the engine can be badly damaged. He is suggesting that I contact Lexus corporate if the engine is in bad shape.
Thanks for any feedback
Old 07-21-14, 09:28 PM
jednav
Driver

Booked for service tomorrow. sent dealer link re this problem, will see what they say, forewarned them that their findings may be used against them. hope they replace this on good will.
Old 07-22-14, 09:50 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

I have a 2007 RX 350 AWD without the towing package. But it appears the engine oil cooler line was replaced at 45,451 miles. So I'm good to go.

10/14/2010 45,451 Engine oil cooler line(s) repaired/replaced
Tire condition and pressure checked
Oil and filter changed
Washed/detailed
Fluids checked

I must be one of the lucky ones.
Old 07-22-14, 10:10 PM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by jednav
Booked for service tomorrow. sent dealer link re this problem, will see what they say, forewarned them that their findings may be used against them. hope they replace this on good will.
Was in for service today, total bill for inspection, oil change, front brakes was $1100.00.
Anyhow, the metal pipe was placed on order. The deal was I pay for the part and labor is on goodwill. I will try to get it all free of charge when the part comes in.

BTW, it was explained to me that TSB's if vehicle is out of warranty, customers pay but would depend on your relationship with the dealer. Vehicle recalls, are safety issues and must be done free of charge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2RX Oil Line Failure - Catastrophic Consequences (pictures)