RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Drilled, Slot or Not: Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-12, 07:34 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Drilled, Slot or Not: Rotors

Ive seen alot of info posts on brakes, and DIY for replacements. But I havent seen anyhting definitive on rotor replacements; specifically for a 2004 RX330. I need to replace mine and I dont mind paying for a decent set of new rotors but not sure whats the consensus on type and brand. I plan on keepin it for quite a while longer. Ive heard that slotted/drilled can sometimes make a slight whining sound. That would drive me nuts even for the improved braking trade off. Help and thanks for your expertise!!
Old 11-19-12, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Like many topics, this one has been discussed on many an occasion. You just need to search and read. As an example, here is one company mentioned on several occasions which sells slotted and drilled rotors:

http://www.kvrperformance.com

Not a recommendation, just commentary. Search the forums for more details.

Other threads include:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ke-rotors.html

Typical consensus when it comes to the rotors is why not stick with the OEM? Have you had a problem with them? If not, stick with what you know. They are not all that expensive.
Old 11-20-12, 04:14 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Thanks and I'm familiar w.these threads. But as I said there's little discussion specifically on types or brands of rotors .....I'd like to hear from our Lexus family on their experiences on pros and cons or what to avoid...
Old 11-20-12, 10:58 AM
Buhbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slotted or drilled rotors are a waste of money imo. They are meant for the track to keep brakes from heating up on the track.

If you drive your RX like a racecar, and need the added benefit of slotted or drilled. You should upgrade to a two or four piston caliper while you're at it.

Otherwise, save your money and buy OEM.
Old 11-20-12, 12:34 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhbie
If you drive your RX like a racecar, and need the added benefit of slotted or drilled. You should upgrade to a two or four piston caliper while you're at it.
If you want to drive a race car you should buy a different car. I love our RX but it's a boat compared to a car that would actually benefit from slotted or drilled rotors.
Old 11-20-12, 01:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Typical consensus when it comes to the rotors is why not stick with the OEM? Have you had a problem with them? If not, stick with what you know. They are not all that expensive.
Originally Posted by mcfancy
Thanks and I'm familiar w.these threads. But as I said there's little discussion specifically on types or brands of rotors .....I'd like to hear from our Lexus family on their experiences on pros and cons or what to avoid...
The consensus being to stick with the stock rotors as best possible. As I asked above, have you had any problems with the stock rotors? I have 90K on the original rotors on my RX. Still no warpage or problems otherwise. No need for cross-drilled or slotted rotors unless you are going for a look. If you are, then those are available for you.
Old 11-20-12, 02:13 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe he is doing wheels and tires combo with some kind of sportier look with drill/ slotted rotors, just guessing.

For me stock works good for mine and easily replaceable unlike brands that I don't know of you really have no clue how they work out until you try it and it also depend on your driving condition, habits, etc.( nothing bad but everyone drives differently )Just too many variables to worry about, stick with stock, if Lexus intended for the RX to use drill/slotted rotors, they would have either add it as an option or put them straight in the beginning.
Old 11-23-12, 02:21 PM
sail7seas
Driver School Candidate

The drivers here in Miami drive 80 and then slow down quickly to 30.
This made me uncomfortable with the stock rotors, and switched to cross drilled rotors.
They stop a few feet shorter than stock, which can be the difference.
I believe they help high speed braking, and the RX is a heavy car.
I got a tire rotation once and a brake shimmy started, and found they had over-torqued them,
I changed the torque down to 75 ft-lb, and a week later the shimmy stopped.
Old 11-23-12, 07:29 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

do you have any issues w/humming, or any other noises?
Old 11-24-12, 10:23 AM
sail7seas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcfancy
do you have any issues w/humming, or any other noises?
No humming or noise. Maybe a hair louder when hard breaking. Otherwise cannot tell difference.
Old 11-26-12, 05:22 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this, and other, forums, this discussion comes up often. Many of the folks who have switched claim better stopping. However, if you ever read the various car magazines and their driving reports, they usually analyze braking distance giving ambient temperature, weight, weather, etc. I have yet to see one of the drivers who switched to drilled and/or slotted rotors that have done a scientifically repeatable study of before and after braking on their car. I take seat-of-the-pants impressions with a grain of salt. You know - the power of suggestion thing.

My opinion? When my RX330 needed new pads and rotors I bought OEM from Sewell Lexus - http://www.sewellparts.com/ - for several reasons. My wife is very happy with her RX, has never complained about the braking and I got 90000 miles from the original rotors. I could have turned them since there was enough "meat" left on them but the Pennsylvania winters with lots of salt, moisture and snow have rusted them up on the non-braking surface. In addition, the local Toyota dealer gave me an exceptionally good price on the Lexus parts but Sewell was still about $20 cheaper even with shipping.
Old 11-27-12, 05:52 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

thanks to all for their insight ...looks like oem is the way to go...
Old 12-17-12, 11:44 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

since everyone is opting for OEM in their stance, i will advocate for slotted or drilled. keep in mind i am no professional, just like to read facts and deduce my own opinion instead of riding entirely on others' discussions. OEM are good, but there is a reason for a rotor aftermarket. The holes in the rotors are to allow gas pockets built up during the heating of braking to escape.--PRO of drilled ad slotted.

CON of slotted versus drilled is that a larer surface area of the braking pad is essentially scrapped off. even with drilled versus OEM, you basically have a rougher surface scrapping the brake pad.

i went drilled rotors and OEM pads. i feel safer knowing i have better tech (albeit redundant in most cases) behind my vehicle's safety mechanism
Old 12-17-12, 11:48 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a fan of OEM rotors. But if your going for the look you might have to sacrifice something in the long run. Maybe a sound or longevity of the rotor who knows many different factors.
Old 12-19-12, 11:30 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

OEM on RX350 and drilled/slotted on my Altima. RX350 = wife/family car where if I'm driving, I drive like grandpa - very mild, under the speed limit driving.

On the Altima, more often than not I drive pretty aggressively where drilled/slotted comes in handy and is improvement over blank rotors. 99.9%+ of the time, I'm alone in the Altima or sometimes my dog joins me for a ride. Even with aggressive abuse, rotors have been fine for past 3+ years, about 60k miles. Keep in mind, Altima has been modded quite aggressively, although you can't tell from outside.

What I'm getting at is it's your preference and depending on how you drive, you could go with either route. If you are "normal" or "mild" driver, go with OEM blanks. If you find yourself going at high speeds more often than not and brake hard more often, drilled/slotted is viable option.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Drilled, Slot or Not: Rotors