RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Brakes RX350 (2008)

Old 11-11-12, 08:18 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes RX350 (2008)

I previously posted last spring about replacing front pads on my RX. That may be found here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...50-2008-a.html

I just did the rear pads. I'm at about 82,000 miles. There was about 3mm of friction material left which, given how long it took to get to this point, means I would have at least several thousand miles left but I don't want the need to arise in winter when it would be awkward to work on so I figured I'd get it done.

As with the front, my policy is that if there is no unevenness or shimmy in the braking (implying warped rotors) and the disk surface is smooth with only light lines, no grooves or gouges, I will just put on pads and let them quickly wear into each other.

I am not posting a photo story this time because I am not entirely sure of my methodology and don't want to lead anyone astray.

Compared to the front, it's not possible to simply remove one caliper bolt and swing it up out of the way. Both must be removed and the caliper moved completely out of the way. One can hang it with a wire or carefully position it above the rotor assembly so long as it is never left hanging on the brake hose.

Now here is where I had issues. I had a hard time getting the pads out and past the spring channel things. On the front brakes I was able to get them out with a bit of prying with a screwdriver, being very careful not the apply any level of force to the disk that could damage or warp it.

On the rear, on one side I was eventually able to get them out but it didn't seem like I was doing it right. On the other side it seems like no amount of tapping or gentle prying was going to get them out. So I finally gave up and removed the entire assembly (don't know the proper name) that the caliper bolts to. Two bolts from behind takes it out. Then it was very easy and also a better way to install the replacement spring steel things and be assured they went in properly and evenly. I put the pads in position as well before bolting it back on and then reinstalling the caliper.

So I am thinking this is the better way. Unless someone comes along and says I've tampered with some precision aligned pieces or something. But so far so good.

I suppose by the time the rear pads need replacing again, I may be shopping for a new vehicle and in that case this may be the only time I do this but still good to know.
Old 11-12-12, 05:25 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Picture is always good. THank you for posting. Glad to know that I can drive more than 20K before I need to worry about the rear. I always check the thickness everytime I do tire change.
Old 11-12-12, 05:40 AM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh definitely. They say the fronts do something like 70% of the braking but they are much larger so it's hard to know what the relative wear relationship is. My last vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I kept until something like 164K miles and I only did the rear once in that time vs. maybe 4 times for the fronts including new disks once.