RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

FWD/AWD Struts confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-12, 05:31 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FWD/AWD Struts confusion.

Did a search and did not find this issue at all.

I need to replace all four struts. I have an AWD 2005 330. I bought four KYB struts from Partsgeek. Seems I ordered two wrong ones. part numbers are really unclear on the site. Sooo I am trying to determine what struts I need to buy, rears or fronts.

Here is the story. Maybe it will help. I am not very knowledge with parts so please forgive me.

I went to install the KYB, replacing my after market air suspension (so I have no OEM reference) and the size was wrong. On the bottom where the strut attaches to the part behind the rotors they do not meet up. The strut was too long. I found out that the AWD are the same length front and rear where the FWD one is longer than the other.

So my question is what one for the FWD is longer/taller than the other? The fronts or rears? Once I can figure that out I can buy the right two struts and get this job done asap. At this point the store will not let me open the boxes for the FWD to check and the photo samples are so bad I cannot tell any length difference to determine my purchase.

I hope this makes some sense lol! I need to get this done so bad and parts geek is really inaccessible at this point.

PS: this photo shows the FWD clearly. You can see one is taller on the bottom than the other. But I need to know if the taller ones are the rears or fronts. The AWD are both short.
Attached Thumbnails FWD/AWD Struts confusion.-kgrhqfhjcue-gtke3hlbqt1p3nthq-60_57.jpg  

Last edited by infinirx; 11-10-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-10-12, 06:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you check with Rock Auto for part number info? Here is what they have listed for the AWD:
Attached Thumbnails FWD/AWD Struts confusion.-screen-shot-2012-11-10-at-9.16.42-pm.png  
Old 11-11-12, 09:15 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

lol!!!!!! I don't have OEM Air suspension. Maybe I should have left that part out altogether. I will look at that site I guess.
Old 11-11-12, 10:17 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinirx
lol!!!!!! I don't have OEM Air suspension. Maybe I should have left that part out altogether. I will look at that site I guess.
What I provided says "excluding air suspension." Those are the front and rear part numbers for the AWD RX you have.
Old 11-11-12, 10:53 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Rockauto is great for that... there's time's where i needed something asap, and their part numbers make it so much easier when calling the local parts drones for something
Old 11-11-12, 12:50 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
What I provided says "excluding air suspension." Those are the front and rear part numbers for the AWD RX you have.
Yeah I figured that out later Thanks for the info. I am going to have to drive back to Moms and look at the parts I have See what matches.
Old 11-11-12, 04:11 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

The Rears are longer. However, I would match the part number and make sure you know whether you had a Japanese built or Canadian built model, though I am unsure if that matters.
Old 11-11-12, 04:37 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
The Rears are longer. However, I would match the part number and make sure you know whether you had a Japanese built or Canadian built model, though I am unsure if that matters.
I figured. I just wanted to be sure. I don't think that would matter either. But I will check.
Old 11-24-12, 03:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok big problem. I did not know how to post about it but just gonna try. I got everything installed. H&R springs, KYB fronts, Monroe rears. but the springs seem to be shifting. Making loud noises. Especially in the front. Kind of disturbing. Got it home, was not making much noise. I dunno if it was temporary cause the struts were new? Could there be some thing missing that lets the springs move around?
Old 11-24-12, 03:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinirx
Ok big problem. I did not know how to post about it but just gonna try. I got everything installed. H&R springs, KYB fronts, Monroe rears. but the springs seem to be shifting. Making loud noises. Especially in the front. Kind of disturbing. Got it home, was not making much noise. I dunno if it was temporary cause the struts were new? Could there be some thing missing that lets the springs move around?
Even new, there should be no noises like you are reporting. See if you can find another set of eyes to take a look at the new setup for problems, or another RX to compare against. Perhaps a dealership might allow you to have a look at one on the rack or another member here in your area would allow you to poke around their ride.
Old 11-24-12, 08:05 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Even new, there should be no noises like you are reporting. See if you can find another set of eyes to take a look at the new setup for problems, or another RX to compare against. Perhaps a dealership might allow you to have a look at one on the rack or another member here in your area would allow you to poke around their ride.
No money for a dealership. It's like I am cursed lol. I bought four parts. The ones that the strut attach to on top. I hope that will help solve the issue.
Old 11-24-12, 10:11 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Your struts will have a thick rubber "shim" that fits into the strut mount. Also the strut has an indentation where the spring fits into so as to prevent it from rotating. This rubber shim follows the curvature of this indentation. My bet is that you are missing the rubber seats for the top and bottom of each strut. They would be on the old struts and usually can be re-used if not damaged too much. See the below diagram for the rubber "seats" I am talking about on number 7 and 3.

Last edited by HtownBlue; 11-24-12 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-24-12, 10:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Your struts will have a thick rubber "shim" that fits into the strut mount. Also the strut has an indentation where the spring fits into so as to prevent it from rotating. This rubber shim follows the curvature of this indentation. My bet is that you are missing the rubber seats for the top and bottom of each strut. They would be on the old struts and usually can be re-used if not damaged too much. See the below diagram for the rubber "seats" I am talking about.
As infinirx is converting from an air suspension system, he may not have any of the original strut parts. He will more than likely need all the parts in your diagram with nothing to bring over from the previous setup. I agree with you as to what he was more than likely missing as it does not come in a kit.
Old 11-25-12, 12:42 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Your struts will have a thick rubber "shim" that fits into the strut mount. Also the strut has an indentation where the spring fits into so as to prevent it from rotating. This rubber shim follows the curvature of this indentation. My bet is that you are missing the rubber seats for the top and bottom of each strut. They would be on the old struts and usually can be re-used if not damaged too much. See the below diagram for the rubber "seats" I am talking about on number 7 and 3.
I believe your correct. I will go to the Lexus dealer and with this diagram. Or any site I can get those two parts and save some $$?

I did not convert from Air. I had AWD stock and converted to aftermarket Air. Now I am back to stock. But your right I am missing those parts.