RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330: Rack in Pinion issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-12, 09:45 AM
Doby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RX 330: Rack in Pinion issues

Our mechanic found a bad leak in our Rack-in-Pinion. The Boot/bellow filled w/ fluid so we never saw the leak. He wants $900. to replace with new kit. ON TOP of $1100. for new Struts. Is this normal for a RX 330?
Thanks.
Old 11-08-12, 12:29 PM
dragosdor
Rookie

how many miles?
Old 11-08-12, 01:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, Doby.

Not unheard of, however, that price is high. The struts should be no more than half that amount. Take it by a Toyota shop, or another shop you trust, for a second quote. Do not say what was found previous, just ask to have the front suspension checked.
Old 11-08-12, 02:58 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Doby
Our mechanic found a bad leak in our Rack-in-Pinion. The Boot/bellow filled w/ fluid so we never saw the leak. He wants $900. to replace with new kit. ON TOP of $1100. for new Struts. Is this normal for a RX 330?
Thanks.
So 900 for new rack and pinion installed is good deal - I was quoted 1200 for mine. I plan to do mine myself when it gets really bad, using a re-manufactured. How bad is yours? Some people freak out about it and a lot of mechanics try to scare people into having them done. Does your reservoir run low after you fill it or what?
Old 11-11-12, 04:24 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are a DIY'er it is not a too terribly difficult job. Easy access to the rack. The hardest part is making sure your steering linkage is lined up and inserted properly.

As for the struts, look for oil on the exterior of them before you are convinced they are bad. Bad struts usually show some oil leaking from the cylindar below the "shiny" rod going upward.
Old 11-12-12, 04:56 AM
dragosdor
Rookie

May I ask what year and how many miles? Not really helping the subject, but trying to understand how far I am from such issues...
Old 11-12-12, 06:33 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Drago,

I've got 180K on mine (I use it for work), and haven't had a rack issue other than inner rods. Hope that helps. 2004 RX330.
Old 03-18-14, 01:09 PM
TwoRXinATL
Driver School Candidate

Default Rack and Pinion Scam?

We took our 2004 RX 330 to a local Atlanta Lexus dealer for 90K service last week. While my preference was to use an independent shop for this expensive service, my wife was raised as the daughter of a new car dealer and was more comfortable taking the car to a Lexus dealer.

Additionally, she discovered that the water pump and timing belt had already been replaced in this vehicle at 73K miles ("water pump leaking"), so the expensive ($1200) part of the 90K service had already been done. We were quoted $350 for the remaining 90K service.

Once the car was in the shop, additional "problems" were discovered, to the tune of $3,100. These included the following from the service advisor's email to me:

1. Power steering rack and pinion is leaking. Estimate for repair is $1550.00
2. Coolant Valley is leaking coolant. Estimate for repair is $958.00
3. Recommends Transmission flush (fluid is dark) $305.00
4. Air induction Service for carbon build up in the vehicle $255.00

I took the car to another dealer who is a personal friend (Japanese brand, not Lexus). He put the car on the rack and had his best mechanic look underneath. The conclusion was that nothing needed to be done other than to monitor the situation.

I called the Lexus dealer back and explained my frustration. My son drives this vehicle at college, and we had spent two days worrying about having the dealership perform repairs, going to an independent ($1700 quote for same work based on the email), or just trading the car in on something else. The service manager asked me to bring the vehicle back so that he could check it out himself.

After that check, the service manager apologized to me and told me that "if this was my wife's car, I wouldn't do anything to it now, just monitor things going forward." He took pictures and was going to "have a discussion" with the original mechanic.

I forwarded him a copy of this email chain about customer dissatisfaction with Lexus over some of these rack and pinion issues (and others).

We may continue to take my wife's Lexus (2008) in for service as it is still under warranty, but I'm done with this dealership on the 2004.

Yesterday, my wife received a phone call from the dealership wanting to know if there was any reason why we couldn't give them "all fives" on our recent service experience. I can think of $3100 reasons!
Old 03-18-14, 01:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Welcome to Club Lexus, TwoRXinATL. Sorry to hear about your dealer experiences.

When it comes to some of these steering rack failures I am truly wondering how many are properly diagnosed and how many are situations such as yours where the shop is just giving you the expensive repair flavor of the month. Sure, boots fail and can be torn due to various circumstances. I am lucky in that the independent shop I use these days will actually show you images of any problem areas and you get to talk with the mechanic in addition to the service writer about any problems.

Another item for discussion when it comes to the power steering rack is changing out of the fluid. It does not use a standard power steering fluid, rather, it uses a DEXRON II/III ATF fluid. There is also no change interval listed for replacing this fluid. So, often it goes unchanged and this could also be a reason why many racks have been failing. There is more on how to do this yourself if you care to search the forums here at CL. Very easy, IMO.
Old 05-16-14, 07:56 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

My 330 had the rack and pinion replaced in 2012 and today noticed the entire boot on the passenger side is ripped.
Is this where the power steering fluid will be leakinig out of?
can I just repair the boot? (like a cv boot)
Old 05-16-14, 08:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TriniLex
My 330 had the rack and pinion replaced in 2012 and today noticed the entire boot on the passenger side is ripped.
Is this where the power steering fluid will be leakinig out of?
can I just repair the boot? (like a cv boot)
While this is for Canadian built RX330, one might venture a guess there is similar for those built in Japan:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X330-2006.html
Old 05-16-14, 11:40 PM
Henry2024
Rookie

Too many horror stories all over the net about being screwed over by Lexus dealerships on repairs. The typical "your car needs this and this, and that" now. If and when something goes bad on mine, I'm taking mine to a mechanic I trust, not the dealership. I'm out of warranty now anyway. Lexus isn't going to be gouging me.
Old 05-17-14, 12:24 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doby
Thanks.
Although the RX is rated as a very reliable vehicle in the polls, it is still a car and one must expect to dig out some cash now and then to keep it running. Not trying to give the "suck it up and stop moaning" speech, but yes it is normal in the sense that nothing lasts forever. Best thing one can do is to whip out the tools, but for a lot of people that's not an option due to fear of getting dirty (large percentage), age, other commitments etc. etc.. The other option is to mortgage the house and pay for a new set of problems, like the stuff the guy at Lexus forgot to fasten, broken off or lost. But let me tell you this, I wouldn't trade my life with cars for anything on this planet.
Old 05-17-14, 12:49 AM
Henry2024
Rookie

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Although the RX is rated as a very reliable vehicle in the polls, it is still a car and one must expect to dig out some cash now and then to keep it running. Not trying to give the "suck it up and stop moaning" speech, but yes it is normal in the sense that nothing lasts forever. Best thing one can do is to whip out the tools, but for a lot of people that's not an option due to fear of getting dirty (large percentage), age, other commitments etc. etc.. The other option is to mortgage the house and pay for a new set of problems, like the stuff the guy at Lexus forgot to fasten, broken off or lost. But let me tell you this, I wouldn't trade my life with cars for anything on this planet.
Despite the RXs reported reliability, it seems as though the achille's heel of the RX is the rack and pinion, among other things. Its the most common problem reported about RXs that I've seen. Which is strange to me since I've never had a vehicle that a rack and pinion problem. I would hope my RX doesn't disappoint me by being the first.
Old 05-17-14, 12:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Doby was a "one and done" poster here at CL. Their profile shows their last activity was seven (7) minutes after their initial post. They may have come back later without logging in, however, I do not think we will be seeing this individual ever again.

Agree with your points. Owning a vehicle is a cash intensive endeavor. Even for the most reliable ones. However, even if you will not physically work on your vehicle one should spend some time to become familiar with the product so you can have a proper conversation when you are in for service -- unscheduled or otherwise. And just like the doctor, it never hurts to get a second opinion even if it just to make sure you are not being taken for a ride.

Quick Reply: RX 330: Rack in Pinion issues