RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

New Windshield - Lexus or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 12:26 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Windshield - Lexus or Aftermarket?

The windshield of my 2009RX350 suffered from a couple of chips/cracks when the car in front of me veered off the road and sent some gravel flying. I am insured by GEICO and they will replace the windshield (through Safelite) at no cost to me, but if I insist on a Lexus windshield (also through Safelite), the cost to me would be $1414+ additional (!!!). 1. This seems like a super heavy extra cost, and 2. Is there any material difference in quality (e.g. sound absorption) between an aftermarket windshield or the Lexus one? [I had read somewhere that the windshield of my RX was of the appropriate thickness etc.. ("tuned") to reduce sound at the frequencies used in conversation, thus being quieter.) Any helpful comments or advice? - Tks!

Last edited by pauljcl; 10-22-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 01:10 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some will say Lexus glass is different, is thicker, has better sound absorption blah blah blah. I've replaced the windshield on my old RX330 out of my pocket and there was no difference that I can tell.

Windshields are wear and tear item to me so that's not to say the next day another truck throws a rock and you're going to fork out another $1400 to another windshield? Absolutely not!
Old 10-22-12, 01:21 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket, just get one that will work with your rain-sensor wipers.
Old 10-22-12, 03:04 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There isn't a noticeable difference as far as can tell. I have an aftermarket one on my 04 RX330, and I can't tell the difference between aftermarket and OEM. As long as you get the right one (rain sensing wiper or not, etc) you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 10-22-12, 03:17 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I am insured by GEICO
No idea about whether the OEM windshield is actually different from the aftermarket, but I'd rather NOT pay that insurance anymore, to start with.
Old 10-22-12, 08:30 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Your windshield is not just something to keep the bugs and rain from hitting you in the face, it also provides around 60% of the body structure in the case of a rollover as well as serving as the backing for airbags if deployed. The windshield is a safety item on your car. So consider the following info in your decision.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...26/139493.html
http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/detsafe.htm
http://www.bestglass.com/faq.html#faq3
http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2...precious-cargo

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-22-12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 08:38 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some info for every one, you can ask your insurance company for OEM coverage for glass as well as any other parts and it isn't that much more. I think on my 08 RX it was around $40 extra a year. On my 12 ISC it was less as there are less after market parts for newer cars they said.
Old 10-23-12, 09:07 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

As jfelbab mentioned, the windshield is a structural component of the car.

The noise abatement is just an extra. I do not even know how this is discernable.

From what I have read there are no Lexus OEM replacements, I may be wrong.

The key is to make sure the installer can make the rain sensing work. I have read tons of installs that failed. The installer should prove and show you the sensors work.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-12, 09:14 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you might have problems you go for other generic brands....safelite should be ok as they also carry some kind of warranty???
Old 10-23-12, 05:56 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Safelite replaced ours for about $250. Rain sensing wipers work great and no issues (i.e. no wind noise, etc). I can't say whether it is as thick as OEM glass, but so far we have been satisfied.
Old 10-23-12, 08:48 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Safelite replaced ours for about $250. Rain sensing wipers work great and no issues (i.e. no wind noise, etc). I can't say whether it is as thick as OEM glass, but so far we have been satisfied.
Thanks to ALL.
I have decided to go with the Safelite glass. I am assured (by Safelite) that it carries a 'lifetime' warranty (whatever that means), that the thickness and density are identical to the original Lexus glass, that it is designed for the rain-sensing wipers etc.. etc... I don't have a breakdown of the actual cost of labor vs. parts, but was told the overall cost (paid by the insurance co.) is about $355; and the Lexus windshield is $1414 by itself more expensive than the windshield they install. Also, they come to my place to install, and it will be done tomorrow. Thank you cdnewton for writing/confirming what I had decided upon.
It's great to be able to get so many peoples' experienced opinions, and so quickly. Thank you ALL - I'm very grateful !
Old 10-24-12, 08:20 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Down here in Oz I had to get my windshield replaced. The insurance company obviously didn't want to use Lexus genuine parts and the aftermarket windsheild I got was made as per the Lexus standard. I can't tell any difference between the two. My rain sensing wipers work perfectly fine as they have always done.
Old 10-24-12, 01:00 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by draco
Down here in Oz I had to get my windshield replaced. The insurance company obviously didn't want to use Lexus genuine parts and the aftermarket windsheild I got was made as per the Lexus standard. I can't tell any difference between the two. My rain sensing wipers work perfectly fine as they have always done.
The replacement was done this a.m. I visually and 'manually' checked out the two windshields - the Safelite and the Lexus old one. I could not tell the difference, except for the brand name and its placement on teh windshield. So, I hope all will be well. Thanks again!
Old 10-24-12, 02:12 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad this work out for you, you might want to ask if you insurance allow you to add to use OE parts, I did it on my insurance from farmers $100 deductible and I get OE rain sensing windshield( they order it from Lexus dealership ) job was also done by safelite, they do good work. I only paid $30 a year additional for OE replacement and so far I had 1 front windshield and 1 rear passenger windows replaced by Lexus glass, it paid for itself already.
Old 10-24-12, 04:20 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Thanks to ALL.
I have decided to go with the Safelite glass. I am assured (by Safelite) that it carries a 'lifetime' warranty (whatever that means), that the thickness and density are identical to the original Lexus glass, that it is designed for the rain-sensing wipers etc.. etc... I don't have a breakdown of the actual cost of labor vs. parts, but was told the overall cost (paid by the insurance co.) is about $355; and the Lexus windshield is $1414 by itself more expensive than the windshield they install. Also, they come to my place to install, and it will be done tomorrow. Thank you cdnewton for writing/confirming what I had decided upon.
It's great to be able to get so many peoples' experienced opinions, and so quickly. Thank you ALL - I'm very grateful !
No problem, hope it works out for you. I have used Safelite for years and haven't had any issues. But, as they always say, YMMV. Glad to hear you got it replaced and taken care of.

Quick Reply: New Windshield - Lexus or Aftermarket?