RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Water in headlight. Common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 09:03 PM
winwin4all
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Water in headlight. Common problem?

08 RX350. Noticed that my right headlight is fogged up and has some water after car wash. Later I noticed it after heavy rain and once again after I washed car myself. I thought that it could happen after my "best part in my life" hit the parking post (not hard but enough to crack headlight washer cover)that's why I didn't go to the dealership, but later I noticed two other 08-09 RXs (you can tell by chromed handles and certain paint color) had same problem- one fogged headlight. So I wonder if it was a faulty parts in those years or just a coincidence and should I go to dealership and try to ask for a replacement?
Old 10-19-12, 09:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by winwin4all
08 RX350. Noticed that my right headlight is fogged up and has some water after car wash. Later I noticed it after heavy rain and once again after I washed car myself. I thought that it could happen after my "best part in my life" hit the parking post (not hard but enough to crack headlight washer cover)that's why I didn't go to the dealership, but later I noticed two other 08-09 RXs (you can tell by chromed handles and certain paint color) had same problem- one fogged headlight. So I wonder if it was a faulty parts in those years or just a coincidence and should I go to dealership and try to ask for a replacement?
Yes, very common problem. Use the search features of the forum to locate the numerous threads already existing for more information, recommendations and possible DIY fixes.
Old 10-20-12, 07:21 AM
winwin4all
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking if there are more than 50 people with same problem and we all post it here, then we can make a letter to the lexus so they would replace this faulty headlight at no charge. At least this can be as a reference to them to take action on quality
Old 10-20-12, 08:25 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Had my 08 passenger side replaced after warranty with help from Lexus corp. Cost me less than 250 one time deal. Never had any bangs or bumps to headlight.
Old 10-20-12, 08:32 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by winwin4all
I was thinking if there are more than 50 people with same problem and we all post it here, then we can make a letter to the lexus so they would replace this faulty headlight at no charge. At least this can be as a reference to them to take action on quality
Toyota/Lexus is well aware of the situation. Not just an RX problem. Occurs across their product line and has so for years. Design issue. To them, it is working as intended. There has also been work towards a class action lawsuit regarding the problem. This seems to have gone nowhere. Even if there is a settlement the lawyers would get the bulk of the money and we the owners will at best get a coupon for an oil change.

Whether you get it replaced depends as much on the dealership involved and where you are in regards to your warranty. If you are out of warranty you are out of luck.
Old 10-20-12, 08:40 AM
winwin4all
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Toyota/Lexus is well aware of the situation. Not just an RX problem. Occurs across their product line and has so for years. Design issue. To them, it is working as intended. There has also been work towards a class action lawsuit regarding the problem. This seems to have gone nowhere. Even if there is a settlement the lawyers would get the bulk of the money and we the owners will at best get a coupon for an oil change.

Whether you get it replaced depends as much on the dealership involved and where you are in regards to your warranty. If you are out of warranty you are out of luck.
That's bad but the thing is, as this headlight has a motor in it ( mine does have adjustable height/width) I assume it could get rusted in several years from now. What should I do then? Well, I guess I need to use some silicone now to not have a problem in future
Old 10-22-12, 07:54 AM
01blkgts
Driver School Candidate

I just tackled this for my driver's side headlight with AFS.
There was a tutorial on how to take the headlight out by manfig?
For the driver's side i had to loosen the bolts on the other side, under the wheel liner, and the two? bols under the bumper, and the bolt that attaches to the fender and bumper in order for me to take out the whole assembly. tried to just do the driver side but it was too tight of a space.
also need a allen wrench 5/32? to remove a bolt.

i had a good 3oz of water in there....got most of it out but had a little left over...tried to blow dry, but it was taking forever, so i just siliconed it...and it is still condensating probably from the liquid i didnt take out....hoping it will evaporate in the sun in the next few days.
Old 10-22-12, 09:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

^^ With a couple of dry hot weather, it should evaporate and you are good to go.
Old 10-26-12, 08:47 PM
winwin4all
Driver School Candidate

Went to dealership today to check on this issue. After mnf. warranty we have no luck.
Old 10-27-12, 02:07 PM
buckeyeut
Driver School Candidate

Was video that you mentioned on Lexus website?
Old 10-31-12, 07:34 AM
01blkgts
Driver School Candidate

after doing this, i am glad to report that even after hurricane sandy my driver headlight is free of water and fog.

few tips.....

i sealed with silicone even before i dried out the headlight since i was running out of time....i thought the moisture that was still in there would evaporate, but after letting it sit in the sun for a few days, turns out it just didnt get dissipate.
so i took it out again, and drilled a tiny hole on the bottom corner to let the water out.
after that, sealed the hole with silicone, and opened the ballast cover as this let the moisture dry rather quickly
let dry and put back on, no problems since.

fyi, my source of the leak was on the top of the headlight..so its a good precautionary step to put some silicone even if it's not condensating, thats what i did on my pass side.