RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just picked up my 2005 Rx330 yesterday!

Old 09-22-12, 01:01 PM
The S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my 2005 Rx330 yesterday!

Hey All,

Wanted to introduce myself to the community as I just picked up my White 2005 Lexus Rx330. Coming from owning sports cars and coupes in the past, this is definitely new to me now that I am a married man with a 3 month old daughter so space was definitely needed.

Drove the car home last night and it felt really good. Car shifted smoothly, no rattles.. just pure overall satisfaction I wanted to share.

Just a couple of questions for you guys here that can help me out.

1 - For 2005, what is the exact paint used here? Not sure if there were different versions of White
2 - I noticed when I drove home and opened the trunk, it did not come with the cargo cover tonneau slide you can use to cover your trunk while parked. Is this suppose to come with the car or an accessory I have to buy on the side?
3 - Any other relevant information or warnings to look out for in the 2005 year model?

Thanks fellas!

Carson

Last edited by The S; 09-22-12 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-22-12, 01:28 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! You should register with Lexus https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home if you haven't already done so to get all Lexus service records.

If you can't confirm services done a complete fluid change wold be a great preventative measure. Trans, radiator, brakes, PS fluid, transfer case, oil. There are increasing reports of steering rack failures (mine did) so check that. You didn't mention miles but if you are close to 90k it will require a timing belt soon.

They are great cars and respond well to maintenance, take care of it and you can drive it until you get tired of it.

Only one white and the cover was standard.
Old 09-22-12, 01:38 PM
The S
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! You should register with Lexus https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home if you haven't already done so to get all Lexus service records.

If you can't confirm services done a complete fluid change wold be a great preventative measure. Trans, radiator, brakes, PS fluid, transfer case, oil. There are increasing reports of steering rack failures (mine did) so check that. You didn't mention miles but if you are close to 90k it will require a timing belt soon.

They are great cars and respond well to maintenance, take care of it and you can drive it until you get tired of it.

Only one white and the cover was standard.
Thanks! I actually just registered on the lexus site and they mentioned I have the Crystal White paint. But thank you for pointing in that direction regardless.

I reviewed the service history and there is no mention of fluids change being done recently before purchase of the car so I will be doing a complete fluid change this week. Any idea what that cost will be at the Lexus dealership? Would like to know so I don't get ripped off.

I purchased the car with 82k miles and its a 2005. The service manual says I should change the timing belt at 90k. Being that it is already a 7 year, turning 8 soon next year, should I wait til 90k or just change it altogether too? Would I also need to change the water pump as well? I figured the answer is yes but worth asking anyway just to be on the safe side. Any ideas as to the price on this job alone as well at Lexus? Would Toyota be able to handle this job as well or does it require specific Lexus parts?
Old 09-22-12, 02:06 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

All these things can be handled at the Toyota store. The belt is apparently very durable, some have gone 120k so I wouldn't worry too much about the 7 years. You know what you have to do and these things add up, you could be looking at a couple of grand total, pump, belt, fluids.

It might make sense (with a new baby!) to perform these items over a period of time to keep car outlay in line with diaper costs.
Old 09-22-12, 03:49 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check under the door of the cargo area in the storage doors, that is where you store the cover.
Old 09-23-12, 03:59 PM
The S
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Check under the door of the cargo area in the storage doors, that is where you store the cover.
I did check today and unfortunately it was not there.

Is this something you guys use often?
Old 09-23-12, 04:04 PM
The S
Driver School Candidate

All these things can be handled at the Toyota store. The belt is apparently very durable, some have gone 120k so I wouldn't worry too much about the 7 years. You know what you have to do and these things add up, you could be looking at a couple of grand total, pump, belt, fluids.

It might make sense (with a new baby!) to perform these items over a period of time to keep car outlay in line with diaper costs.
Ok sounds good.. I will take care of the fluids this week and hold off on the belt til next year or so.

Diapers, formula and nanny services sure add up a lot!

Thanks for the friendly advice!
Old 09-23-12, 04:52 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The S
I did check today and unfortunately it was not there.

My '05 doesn't have one either, I've still got the cover for my '01 RX in a closet, they are mostly a pain as far as I could tell.
Old 09-23-12, 05:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The S
Actually, yes. Mine is currently broken. If I could find another one for my RX330 in good condition I would buy it. However, the quality of what I have seen out there for the price has not been enticing enough.
Old 09-23-12, 05:30 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

My cover was broken as well when I purchased the car used. Took it out and not missing it a bit. Rear window tint is dark enough to keep people from seeing contents of my trunk (which is empty 97% of the time).
I wouldn't spend any extra money to get a new one.
If you really want one, try to see if you can find a wrecked RX330 or 350 on a junk yard and get one for cheap or free.
Old 09-24-12, 02:03 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

congrats on the vehicle!
Old 09-26-12, 08:58 AM
The S
Driver School Candidate

So I made an appointment to bring my to a Lexus dealership for this weekend to do all the fluid changes. I spoke to a service advisor just to understand what the cost is going to look for performing this job and he mentioned it will run about $1k to do this. Is this a reasonable price I should be looking at from a ball park perspective? I mean I've owned cars in the past (luxury and non-luxury) and never have I encountered this much. The dealership I'm bringing to is Lexus of Queens as I live in NYC.

I also called my local Toyota dealerships and they will not take my car in for service unless I purchased the vehicle from them directly.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-26-12, 10:16 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Well, I did try to warn you. At your car's mileage and age it is something that has to be done to make sure the next 90k goes as well as the last. Just get a couple done a month or so,whatever is comfortable. I would not trust it to an oil change place. I'm genuinely surprised the Toyota place would turn down the work.

Do you have a trusted mechanic? That's what I did, it cuts down on costs quite a bit.

Last edited by Carver; 09-26-12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-26-12, 10:53 AM
The S
Driver School Candidate

Well, I did try to warn you. At your car's mileage and age it is something that has to be done to make sure the next 90k goes as well as the last. Just get a couple done a month or so,whatever is comfortable. I would not trust it to an oil change place. I'm genuinely surprised the Toyota place would turn down the work.

Do you have a trusted mechanic? That's what I did, it cuts down on costs quite a bit.

Yes I do have a trusted mechanic I have gone to in the past that has done work on my previous cars so I will stop by his place to do the work instead. I wanted to go to Lexus to establish a relationship but I guess that will have to wait til next time.
Old 09-26-12, 11:14 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

You might think about letting them do the transmission change, it will introduce you to each other and of all the fluid changes that and the radiator are most Lexus specific. You want to make sure it gets the proper fluid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just picked up my 2005 Rx330 yesterday!