RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Auto Dimming and AFS

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 08:54 AM
WhipTrip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Dimming and AFS

I just purchased a used 2007 RX 350 with every option except AWD, Air Ride, and Adaptive Cruise. It currently has 60,000 on the clock.

I have not driven it at night yet, but my wife complains that the mirrors are too dark to see anything out of during night time driving. I know the mirrors have an auto dimming feature, according to my owners manual there should be two buttons on my rear-view mirror to disable the auto dimming feature.

The trouble is my mirror only has one ON button. When pressed and cycled it only appears to turn the compass display on or off. There are two light sensors on either side of the ON button and one sensor on the back side (windshield facing side) of the mirror.

Is this the factory mirror that came with this year/model RX 350 and is there a way to disable the auto dim feature with a single button style mirror?

Also I am not convinced that my AFS is working. Does this system frequently fail? I have tested it by turning the wheel why parked in the driveway and do not see the light projected by the headlights adjusting. Is this system only active at speed?
Old 09-14-12, 10:07 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

On my IS if I press the ON button once, a little green light goes out next to it. That turns off autodimming. If I hold down the ON button, it turns off the compass. Not sure if you have the same kind of thing but try holding down shorter/longer and see what happens.

I've only noticed AFS when driving through the mountains at night. I think it has a ballast that takes g-force into the equation for how much to turn them. During normal city driving I can't tell that they're moving and while parked I could understand if they don't move at all.

Last edited by anxiouz; 09-14-12 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 11:15 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If the AFS system is off there will be a warning light "AFS OFF" in the instrument panel. If you want to test your AFS system, take it for a drive on a dark winding road. You can't miss the headlight movement.
Old 09-14-12, 12:40 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Along with what others have said re: AFS there is a minimum speed that if I remember correctly is 25mph. Below that there isn't much action. It's designed to turn the 'inside' lamp a few degrees as you navigate winding roads such as in a rural setting. So turning the wheel while parked will probably not show you much other than black marks in your driveway. The details will be in your owners manual.
Originally Posted by WhipTrip
I just purchased a used 2007 RX 350 with every option except AWD, Air Ride, and Adaptive Cruise. It currently has 60,000 on the clock.

I have not driven it at night yet, but my wife complains that the mirrors are too dark to see anything out of during night time driving. I know the mirrors have an auto dimming feature, according to my owners manual there should be two buttons on my rear-view mirror to disable the auto dimming feature.

The trouble is my mirror only has one ON button. When pressed and cycled it only appears to turn the compass display on or off. There are two light sensors on either side of the ON button and one sensor on the back side (windshield facing side) of the mirror.

Is this the factory mirror that came with this year/model RX 350 and is there a way to disable the auto dim feature with a single button style mirror?

Also I am not convinced that my AFS is working. Does this system frequently fail? I have tested it by turning the wheel why parked in the driveway and do not see the light projected by the headlights adjusting. Is this system only active at speed?
Old 09-19-12, 05:43 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To turn off the dimmers for the mirror I have to hold down the button on the mirror for about 10 seconds and then the rear view and side mirrors change back to normal, same thing if I wanted them to dim or to me they seem to turn a bluish green color.
Old 09-19-12, 07:05 PM
WhipTrip
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the help and info.
Holding the ON button on the rear-view mirror does disable the auto dimming feature.

And I had a chance the test the AFS on the darkest, curviest road I can find in North Texas. (It wasnt very curvy) but I could still see the lights adjusting.

Now my only trouble is how difficult it is to see when backing up at night. The reverse lights do not shed much light. I think I might try an LED upgrade.