RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ooooone more question, please...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 02:09 PM
stevesxm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ooooone more question, please...

04 rx 330 27,000 miles only. car as new. bought it a couple days ago. car was a daily driver ... just went no where so it hasn't been sitting. paid 9000 $ for it and happy to do it. car had essentially no fuel in when i bought it. so i fill it today and drive it home and around a bit. not slow not fast... just normally... so i head to the store a few mins ago and have to pass a guy so i do . car accellerates normally gets to 70 or so i go buy and slow back down, a few miles later pull into a parking lot and all the warning lights come on... i mean ALL of them. car runs fine. temps and pressures good. so i shut it off , restart it, all the lights go out and i think... ok...

so i get back in when done, drive for a few miles, normal in all respects ... all the lights come back on. car run, drives stops accellerates completely normally except for the pin ball machine dash.

a quick search on here suggests a brake light switch issue which i find hard to believe but in this day and age with the incestuous electronics , i suppose anything is possible....

the threads i saw were old... was this a confirmed fix or does anyone have any other ideas ? i did put fuel in it and i have checked and the cap is tight... i know that one from my maxima...
Old 08-31-12, 02:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

What you describe is an indication of the brake switch issue. Could be something else, however, until you have it checked to see if any diagnostic error codes you will not know. BTW, the brake switch problem usually does not produce an error code.
Old 08-31-12, 02:55 PM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
What you describe is an indication of the brake switch issue. Could be something else, however, until you have it checked to see if any diagnostic error codes you will not know. BTW, the brake switch problem usually does not produce an error code.
i just got off the phone with lexus. turns out there was a recall for the switch that the original owner never had done along with 5 other recalls... they said go to the dealer and get it all done free. so thats what ill do. if the lights come back on ill see what happens then. even with the warning lights on, the abs works as do all the other functions so i figure its the switch... but ill know for sure in a day or two.

thx and will report back
Old 08-31-12, 03:49 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

stevesxm: "04 rx 330 27,000 miles only. car as new. bought it a couple days ago. car was a daily driver ... just went no where so it hasn't been sitting. paid 9000 $ for it and happy to do it."

Hmmmm.... 27,000 miles? Daily driver? for $9000? It's either not a daily driver, or has more than 27k miles, or whoever sold it for $9,000 is crazy, or there is a dead body in the trunk...
Something isn't quite accurate here. Maybe 127,000 miles? Still an unrealistically low price for the mileage. . . Or is it 27,000 miles for $19,000?
Old 08-31-12, 04:21 PM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
stevesxm: "04 rx 330 27,000 miles only. car as new. bought it a couple days ago. car was a daily driver ... just went no where so it hasn't been sitting. paid 9000 $ for it and happy to do it."

Hmmmm.... 27,000 miles? Daily driver? for $9000? It's either not a daily driver, or has more than 27k miles, or whoever sold it for $9,000 is crazy, or there is a dead body in the trunk...
Something isn't quite accurate here. Maybe 127,000 miles? Still an unrealistically low price for the mileage. . . Or is it 27,000 miles for $19,000?
nope... correct as written, car bought by a friend of mine in fl, put on a truck and exported to carribean where he used it at his vacation home... the island is about 30 sq miles and to drive 15 miles a day is a lot. and somedays not at all as he has 3 other cars. this one had the cup holder fail and a couple other nickle and dime things go wrong so he said the hell with it and asked me if i wanted to buy it. he wanted 10k, wrote a check for 9k and said thats what its worth to me and he said ok. he'll drive his range rover or prado or something until he decides what else he wants.
and for me it was an ok deal. i have land rover defender which is a GREAT truck but a bit crude and my girlfriend wanted an automatic anyway...

of course if it now needs 3 grand worth of electronics then he is looking a lot smarter than me already ...

and i have to say after driving it these few days, i am not really impressed. i have has a series of maximas over the years which i thought were GREAT cars and always liked the camrys ive driven . i really expected a LOT from a lexus... but it has a lot of torque steer and is pretty soft and rolls a lot and is just one of those deals where i get out and look at the original invoice for the car which was 37k even and i say to myself.. hmmmm . i guess i'm out of touch but i thought 37 k would get you a lot more car than this. and the more i read the less impressed i am with the reliability and service issues...

its nice to drive and all and its a LOT quieter and the airco works a LOT better than the land rover but i have to tell you that if he had held out for the 10k i probably would have passed on it. not because of percieved or genuine resale value but simply because i wasn't that impressed for what it was as it sat there. i looked them up and they seem to sell in the states for about 16k with 90k miles on them from dealers... so i didn't figure 9 in a soft and limited market was out of line.

Last edited by stevesxm; 08-31-12 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 05:35 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Torque steer? I've never experienced torque steer in my 04 RX. My RX is an AWD however.

The 04 RX is a quiet, soft and smooth driver. Maybe a better description would be a great highway cruiser. It is an excellent touring car but it's not a sport or off-road vehicle.

Reliability has been excellent for my 2004 RX. My average service cost over the 9 years has been around $0.04/mile.

Good luck with yours, you got a good price. The RX is well built and has premium materials. It seems to hold up very well and I expect that most will go over 200k without serious issue.
Old 08-31-12, 09:33 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

jfel, has your dash started cracking?
Old 09-01-12, 02:27 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
he had to put a dash pad in this one a couple years ago... cracking i presume but with the big windshield and the carribean sun, i wasn't surprised at all about that.
Old 09-01-12, 03:30 AM
stevesxm
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Torque steer? I've never experienced torque steer in my 04 RX. My RX is an AWD however.

The 04 RX is a quiet, soft and smooth driver. Maybe a better description would be a great highway cruiser. It is an excellent touring car but it's not a sport or off-road vehicle.

Reliability has been excellent for my 2004 RX. My average service cost over the 9 years has been around $0.04/mile.

Good luck with yours, you got a good price. The RX is well built and has premium materials. It seems to hold up very well and I expect that most will go over 200k without serious issue.
this is a 2 WD only . and i compare it to the maxima. essentially the same v-6 FWD sort of lay out. put your foot in that with fingertips on the steering wheel and it goes dead straight. put your foot in this and you have to be paying attention for sure. not that thats a bad thing... but as i said... i expected a lot more from a company this good. no doubt like all toyota/nissan stuff it will essentially run forever . i have ordered some camber bolts and will put a bit of camber in it and a bit of caster and that will probably fix a lot of the average handling. now if i can just stop the dash from lighting up like a vegas slot machine all the time, ill be in ok shape.
Old 09-01-12, 12:32 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RuninRoach
My dash is fine. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on it. This is basically a cleaner with UV protection.