RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need the opinion of 2nd Gen owners

Old 08-19-12, 07:01 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Need the opinion of 2nd Gen owners

Here's the situation,
A family member of mine has a 2007 RX350 with 105,xxx miles on it. She has been getting it serviced at the dealer from day one because she didn't think she had any other options. She bought it in Georgia and didn't know anyone with connections to a good mechanic on the side. Well, now she is down here in Tampa Bay, FL and I happen to know a great mechanic who does all the work on our cars that I am not able to do myself. I had her car this weekend to do its 6 month detail, and just happened to check the PS fluid. She had it to the dealer when she first moved down here about a year ago and they told her she needed a whole rack and pinion because it was leaking. They said it would cost $1500. She said no and it would have to wait. So I had it and noticed the steering wasn't quite as fluid as my 99... It was out of PS fluid and I looked under it and noticed the passenger boot had a rip and it was leaking. So I am recommending her to my mechanic to get it taken care of.
After all that, here is what I am asking about:
She has an appointment next Saturday at the local Lexus dealer for the 15k mile service, a whopping $399. I told her no way, to let me do some looking. She has had all the 5k, 15k, and 30k mile services since day one as well. In the maintenance guide, its a general oil change, air filter, wipers, key battery, washer fluid, inspection, cabin filter, and throttle body service. Now since she has done all prescribed services from day one at the dealer, does she really need a throttle body cleaning every 15k miles? I personally don't think so, I did the first one on my RX at 90k, and it made little difference. Also, having the air filter changed every 5k miles is something I think is unnecessary. Please give me some incite as to if you think she should have this 15k mile service done, or if having the throttle body service every 15k miles for the last 105k miles was enough...
Sorry for the long story. Hopefully you can give me some good opinions to let her know. I value that she is one of the only people I know who has taken there car to the dealer its entire life, but it is a rip off, especially at a Lexus Dealership.
Old 08-19-12, 07:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The throttle body cleaning every 15K miles is pure profit for the dealership. It is not necessary.
Old 08-19-12, 08:17 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The throttle body cleaning every 15K miles is pure profit for the dealership. It is not necessary.
I agree. She really needs to get away from the Lexus dealership for service. I have my 2007 serviced at the local Toyota dealership. They don't do unnecessary service and the cost is about half of what Lexus charges. Also, I have never had the throttle body cleaned and don't plan on doing that in the future.
Old 08-19-12, 08:26 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One more thing. Last year I had the floor mat recall done at Lexus. They told me that the brakes were "yellow" measuring pad thickness at 4mm. I refused to have the brake pads replaced. 5,000 miles later I had routine minor service done at the local Toyota dealership. the service receipt showed that Toyota measured the pad thickness at 7mm. Do Lexus dealerships do unnecessary work to pad the bottom line? I think so...
Old 08-20-12, 08:04 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good way to see what Lexus Corporation says is required maintenance, and not "pad my bottom line" maintenance, is to check the manual. I realize that this is common sense, but I am assuming that your family member hasn't done this. Each of the mileage intervals tells you what is required. The very few times that I have had cars in at dealers for required service over the last 20 years, I open the manual and say "do this and nothing more". I refuse to accept the fact that a service manager knows more about proper maintenance than the company that built the car.
Old 08-20-12, 07:41 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you have answered your own question, yes the dealer took advantage of a lady who didn't know any better. Also, that is pretty shady of them to not add power steering fluid in order to try and make a sale. Why in the world would you replace a battery in a key fob that still works is beyond me.

What dealer did she use?
Old 08-21-12, 05:37 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainbird
One more thing. Last year I had the floor mat recall done at Lexus. They told me that the brakes were "yellow" measuring pad thickness at 4mm. I refused to have the brake pads replaced. 5,000 miles later I had routine minor service done at the local Toyota dealership. the service receipt showed that Toyota measured the pad thickness at 7mm. Do Lexus dealerships do unnecessary work to pad the bottom line? I think so...
I believe Lexus is known for ripping customers off for their brake 'problems', every year they will tell you either your front or rear brake parts has to be replaced, they want $350 and up for these jobs. Next time the question comes up you have to ask the service rep, it the brake parts are made of cardboard or metal.
Old 08-21-12, 08:52 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would look for a reliable mechanic.....
Old 08-21-12, 08:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ycl1688
I believe Lexus is known for ripping customers off for their brake 'problems', every year they will tell you either your front or rear brake parts has to be replaced, they want $350 and up for these jobs. Next time the question comes up you have to ask the service rep, it the brake parts are made of cardboard or metal.
Not just Lexus, it's dealerships/repair shops in general. It's harder than you think to find an honest mechanic.
Old 08-21-12, 11:05 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
I think you have answered your own question, yes the dealer took advantage of a lady who didn't know any better. Also, that is pretty shady of them to not add power steering fluid in order to try and make a sale. Why in the world would you replace a battery in a key fob that still works is beyond me.

What dealer did she use?
There are two dealerships in the Tampa area. Both are owned by Autoway.
Old 08-21-12, 03:43 PM
99rx
Instructor

She was at Lexus Of Clearwater. I dislike them a lot. Being 19, I went there to look at a couple cars they had on the lot and not one person would even look at me... Even being in the RX.
But I think I got her turned on to my mechanic and hopefully we can get her something worked out on the PS issue and get her on regular oil changes with her rather than the dealer. My mechanic even said she would use Toyota oil if it made her feel better...
Old 08-21-12, 04:56 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
She was at Lexus Of Clearwater. I dislike them a lot. Being 19, I went there to look at a couple cars they had on the lot and not one person would even look at me... Even being in the RX.
But I think I got her turned on to my mechanic and hopefully we can get her something worked out on the PS issue and get her on regular oil changes with her rather than the dealer. My mechanic even said she would use Toyota oil if it made her feel better...
Wonder how they could tell if you were 19, or just too lazy to get out of the danish and coffee area!
I was 50, when my wife and I were looking, no one walked out to ask us if we wanted help, drove up in a Lincoln LS too!
Old 08-21-12, 05:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99rx
Your mechanic is probably sourcing from WorldPac which means they are receiving the same parts as the Toyota/Lexus shops.
Old 08-21-12, 05:07 PM
99rx
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Your mechanic is probably sourcing from WorldPac which means they are receiving the same parts as the Toyota/Lexus shops.
I think she mentioned that today to me on the phone. She is going to look at the RX350 on Thursday to see exactly what's wrong, so we shall see what she quotes for whatever it needs.
Old 08-21-12, 05:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

+1 for WorldPac. My uncle uses them at his shop as well. Great parts at a great price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need the opinion of 2nd Gen owners