RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Ignition Coil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 06:10 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 Ignition Coil Problem

To whom it may concern:

I have a 2007 RX 350 2WD. Recently, the check engine light is on, as well we two other lights are on as well: VSC, TRAC OFF.

I went to Lexus and was told that the error code is P0356. I was told that the ignition coil F is problematic and need replaced. I was quoted 1 and 1/2 hours two 2 hours work and need $412 for the repair. Well, I went to auto zone and was told that No 2, 4, 6 ignition coils were on outside so that it would only take about 5 minutes to replace the problematic one with a new one.

I did the replacement indeed by myself after buying a new ignition coil. Initially it was fine and the light went off after a little while. However, after about 10 days, those three lights went back again. I check the ignition coil, it seems fine and I was told that it is very unlikely for a new ignition coil to go bad this quickly.

I was told that I may need to check my spark plug as well. BTW, when I start the car, the car is a little bit shaky.

Do anyone have any idea what is going on or have any suggestion what I need do next?
Old 07-28-12, 06:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

The car is shaking because the RX is misfiring. Take it to Auto Zone and get the code read again, and see if it's the same code.

Who manufactured the coil? I suggest sticking with OEM, (i.e. Denso).
Old 07-28-12, 06:40 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

It is the same code: P0356.

For the ignition coil, I get a brand new one from pepboys. It is BWD brand.

Auto zone guy said that it is unlikely for a brand new one goes bad this quickly. Actually, I unscrewed it today and have a look at the ignition coil I replaced about 10 days ago. It seems to be fine.

Could it be the spark plug problem?

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to Club Lexus!

The car is shaking because the RX is misfiring. Take it to Auto Zone and get the code read again, and see if it's the same code.

Who manufactured the coil? I suggest sticking with OEM, (i.e. Denso).
Old 07-28-12, 06:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Try rotating the coils to see if the problem follows to the new location. If coil F is the problem, move one of the others to this location. Drive for a bit to see if the error code comes back. If it does, see what the new code is and if the error is the same as before or not. If the same you can rule out the coil and look at the plug or elsewhere.
Old 07-28-12, 07:00 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

After replacing with the new coil, I did NOT clear the code though. Is that the problem?

However, those lights indeed disappeared after I did the replacement about 10 days ago even though I did not clear the code using the scanner.

I can do the switch to test whether the new coil is good. However, is this necessary though? Thanks.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Try rotating the coils to see if the problem follows to the new location. If coil F is the problem, move one of the others to this location. Drive for a bit to see if the error code comes back. If it does, see what the new code is and if the error is the same as before or not. If the same you can rule out the coil and look at the plug or elsewhere.
Old 07-28-12, 07:18 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Clear the codes first. How many miles on your car?
Old 07-28-12, 07:51 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

Just now, I cleared the code twice and it went back right away. So I do not think that is the problem. It seems indeed it has some problem either with the ignition coil or spark plug???

Considering it is a brand new ignition coil, should I go ahead to replace the spark plug there then?

Originally Posted by alchemist
Clear the codes first. How many miles on your car?
Old 07-28-12, 08:12 PM
alchemist
Instructor

How many miles?
Old 07-28-12, 08:29 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

About 71000 miles. My Toyota camry has run for more than 110k and still does not have this problem. What is wrong with lexus???

How many miles?
Old 07-28-12, 08:45 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ephone
About 71000 miles. My Toyota camry has run for more than 110k and still does not have this problem. What is wrong with lexus???
No one is perfect. I'd rather take my chances with Toyota/Lexus than just about anybody else. I'm sure you will get this fixed properly soon.
Old 07-28-12, 08:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

What about checking the wiring for that specific coil?
Old 07-28-12, 09:27 PM
ephone
Driver School Candidate

What do you mean? Can you let me know more?

I just click the wire into this new ignition coil about 10 days ago and it is fine for about 10 days. Now the exactly three lights came back again.

Do you mean I do not insert the wire into the connector properly? Please suggest. Thx.

What about checking the wiring for that specific coil?
Old 07-29-12, 05:21 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by ephone
What do you mean? Can you let me know more?

I just click the wire into this new ignition coil about 10 days ago and it is fine for about 10 days. Now the exactly three lights came back again.

Do you mean I do not insert the wire into the connector properly? Please suggest. Thx.
No. So i dont think its the coil as youve replaced it, dont think its the spark plug, it may be faulty wiring that goes to the coil
Old 07-29-12, 05:29 AM
alchemist
Instructor

My other suggestion is go to the forum Toyota Nation and do some digging about this problem on the Avalons, as i believe we share engines. Faulty coils for them are as common as leaking steering racks for us. You may be able to try something your missing.by the way the spark plugs should be fine as they dont need to be changed until 100k-120k miles.
Old 07-29-12, 05:37 AM
alchemist
Instructor

So i take that back, check that spark plug as its accessible. Next check the battery and alternator (with multimeter). Please report back to the forum on progress and solutions.

Quick Reply: RX350 Ignition Coil Problem