RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Acura rdx or mdx vs Lexus ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 03:07 PM
relax221
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura rdx or mdx vs Lexus ??

looking to buy new I think less than 1 % financing......Is there a big difference between Acura and Lexus riding comfort ? ANY HELP
Old 07-10-12, 03:35 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very subjective, all depends what you're looking for. Test ride them both.
Old 07-10-12, 03:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by relax221
looking to buy new I think less than 1 % financing......Is there a big difference between Acura and Lexus riding comfort ? ANY HELP
If you are looking at new, you probably should post in the Third Generation forum.
Old 07-10-12, 06:59 PM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing i check is what fuel type is needed. some need premium, lexus usually runs on regular. as for ride, my guess is the acura is more stiff and sporty and the lexus is more comfort based. but heck, the simple comfort of your butt in the seat may be more important than the suspension. simple answer, test drive both for a weekend. most dealers will let you take one home if you've got full coverage insurance.
Old 07-10-12, 07:21 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've driven the RX350h and 450 and my dad's 07 MDX. I think I can safely say that the MDX is the one I like the most. It's a driver's car. The suspension is considerably stiffer than the other two, but it's not saying that it is uncomfortable at all. During my test drives in both the Lexuses, I find the 450 to be nicer to drive than the 350h. Maybe I wasn't driving ti right, but I really really hate the lag you get when you press teh pedal and nothing happens. I had this problem whenever I'm in a Prius as well. SO that's one thing to think about. Anyways back to the MDX. Whenever the family used to go on long drives down to the state, I find myself always getting into the MDX instead of my dad's other car, the S Class.

Being the moron that I am, I've taken the MDX on spirited drives before and was surprised to find out that it could keep up with a friend's stock mark 3 supra -- maybe he was taking it easy on me. But yeah the car is a lot of fun. The commanding ride height is awesome and the car is really built for the city.

Some people might not like the direction most Acura cars are heading towards, myself included. But I do find that while the beak doesn't work on the sedans, it works quite nicely with the size and shape of the MDX. Frankly, when it came out, I thought it was the best looking SUVs save for maybe the Range Rover. Get the one in white and you will find yourself staring at it more so than driving it.

As for the interior, this will be subjective, but I like the interior of the MDX a lot better as well. The simplicity of the one found in the RX is nice, but the option we had on the MDX was black interior with black wood. I loved it. It was nice, classy and works for me on so many levels. Some people may not like the amount of buttons scattered everywhere. But I suggest you to get into one and find that the buttons are placed where you want them. One thing I had issue with the MDX was the GPS system. Finding location with the iDrive type **** was a bit frustrating. That was my only beef with the car. Other qualities of the car I can safely say suits me quite well. Try both and see where you stand.

MDX

PROS:
-powerful, smooth V6 engine
-available seating for 7
-commanding seating
-great handler

CONS:
-Takes premium
-Inputting anything to the GPS is time consuming

Sorry SICK

Last edited by Kaydee; 07-10-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 07:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I've driven the RX350h and 450 and my dad's 07 MDX. I think I can safely say that the MDX is the one I like the most. It's a driver's car. The suspension is considerably stiffer than the other two, but it's not saying that it is uncomfortable at all. During my test drives in both the Lexuses, I find the 450 to be nicer to drive than the 350h. Maybe I wasn't driving ti right, but I really really hate the lag you get when you press teh pedal and nothing happens. I had this problem whenever I'm in a Prius as well. SO that's one thing to think about. Anyways back to the MDX. Whenever the family used to go on long drives down to the state, I find myself always getting into the MDX instead of my dad's other car, the S Class.

Being the moron that I am, I've taken the MDX on spirited drives before and was surprised to find out that it could keep up with a friend's stock mark 3 supra -- maybe he was taking it easy on me. But yeah the car is a lot of fun. The commanding ride height is awesome and the car is really built for the city.

Some people might not like the direction most Acura cars are heading towards, myself included. But I do find that while the beak doesn't work on the sedans, it works quite nicely with the size and shape of the MDX. Frankly, when it came out, I thought it was the best looking SUVs save for maybe the Range Rover. Get the one in white and you will find yourself staring at it more so than driving it.

As for the interior, this will be subjective, but I like the interior of the MDX a lot better as well. The simplicity of the one found in the RX is nice, but the option we had on the MDX was black interior with black wood. I loved it. It was nice, classy and works for me on so many levels. Some people may not like the amount of buttons scattered everywhere. But I suggest you to get into one and find that the buttons are placed where you want them. One thing I had issue with the MDX was the GPS system. Finding location with the iDrive type **** was a bit frustrating. That was my only beef with the car. Other qualities of the car I can safely say suits me quite well. Try both and see where you stand.

MDX

PROS:
-powerful, smooth V6 engine
-available seating for 7
-commanding seating
-great handler

CONS:
-Takes premium

Sorry SICK
Is it opposite day?!
Old 07-10-12, 07:40 PM
Kaydee

GAAHHH ur right LOL.

yes 450h and 350. See this is what happens when you are absent from the Lexus game for awhile.

Review still stands. No do not like the Hybrid.
Old 07-10-12, 11:08 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

CONS:
-Takes premium

Sorry SICK
However, the voice command on the MDX and Acura in general, is almost perfect and you can enter destinations using voice. I don't know about the 3rd Gen, but my 2006 400h voice command was absolutely useless...wrong probably 99¼% of the time. I recently traded my 400h for a 2006 MDX.
Old 07-10-12, 11:19 PM
Kaydee

Yep my issue has always been inputting by hand. I'm never a believer in voice commands. Too tedious and I usually know where I'm going...most of the time anyway.

EDIT: I just saw the 2013 RDX, gotta say loving that shape as well. My kind of SUV

Last edited by Kaydee; 07-10-12 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 03:06 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven the RX350h and 450 and my dad's 07 MDX. I think I can safely say that the MDX is the one I like the most. It's a driver's car.
Driver's car, the MDX? Or any SUV, for that matter?
The next thing we'll hear is that it can keep up with a Supra...
Old 07-11-12, 06:21 AM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by relax221
Everyone has a different definition of "comfort." The best way is to go and test drive the vehicles and judge from that. Just because I say I feel comfortable doesn't mean you will feel the same.
Old 07-11-12, 06:35 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cartman57
Very subjective, all depends what you're looking for. Test ride them both.
^ This. That's what test drives are for.

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Driver's car, the MDX? Or any SUV, for that matter?
It's called relativity. Compared to Lexus, Acura does tend to have vehicles that are more of a driver's vehicle in my (very limited) experience. That certainly doesn't mean that the MDX or RDX are sports cars but if one has a preference in that regard then it can be worth considering even when just shopping within the crossover/SUV category.

My wife selected our older crossover based on how its handling and acceleration seemed better to her than the alternatives. *She's not going to take it to the track or autocross it but it did matter to her.

Originally Posted by spacecraft
The next thing we'll hear is that it can keep up with a Supra...
That does sound like a bit of a stretch. I'm not very familiar with the Supra but I'm guessing the MDX wouldn't keep up with it in the twisties with a good driver.

Originally Posted by aztr0
Everyone has a different definition of "comfort." The best way is to go and test drive the vehicles and judge from that. Just because I say I feel comfortable doesn't mean you will feel the same.
Precisely. I find my sports car to be a comfortable highway cruiser. Some would call it cramped and find the suspension much too firm. I'm not suggesting that the ride is comparable to the RX. It's not by any means but comfort is definitely very subjective.

Last edited by takeshi74; 07-11-12 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 07:35 AM
968racer
Driver

I'll agree that the Mdx is more of a driver's car. It has much better steering feel and handles better. It also has more supportive seats. The hardware is less likely to rust and it is better to work on if needed. That being said, the interior is not as nice nor is the leather as soft.
Old 07-11-12, 10:45 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

We drove the RDX, MDX and I have a 2008 RX400h. My wife didn't really like the new RX body style so we didn't test drive it. She hated the way the new MDX looked and wasn't super thrilled with the way it drove. She really disliked the RDX because it seemed pretty noisy (tire noise especially) and the brakes were very grabby.

What we ended up doing was she took my RX400h and I got a new TL SH-AWD which I like very much so far in three days I've owned it I told her I'd be happy to buy her another 2nd gen RX, but she wasn't interested in having two of the same car.

As stated above, there is no substitute for test driving the cars. I never would have guessed my wife would have hated the RDX so much.

Good Luck.

Jeff
Old 07-11-12, 10:48 AM
MerlinT
Rookie

FYI: next generation of the RDX will come with a V6.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Acura rdx or mdx vs Lexus ??