RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 10:56 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!

I just got back from an all-day seminar( from 7am-5pm:eek: ). 4 hours of sleep is NOT fun! Just after lunchtime, they played an awesome video(one of many), but this one actually flashed a few angle shots of the RX330, but reeeeally quick, I was like, WTF????? Anyways, At the very end, they asked us if we wanted to see the new RX, of course everybody wanted to..So they showed us.

NICE!!!

The overall look, you can tell it's an RX. Once again, it will be an RX330. It will Outperform the BMW X5 3.0 in Handling, Braking, Acceleration and Fuel Mileage, so they say. 17" wheels are standard. I saw two different wheel designs, and I did ask about it later on, but they didn't say which design would stay and go. Both were nice, one was a 6 or 7 spoke, the other a split 5 spoke. It's a lot more angular and sportier looking than the 99-03 RX's. It had a roof mounted antenna(a-la MDX), but when I asked if it was for Lexus Link, they said that they would know by the end of this month if RX's will come with Link, so maybe, maybe not.

The rear of the RX, the C-Pillar aggressively curves down. It reminds me of the IS300 SportCross Hatch. It had a rear spoiler, too(like the current RX) The rake of the hatch looks like it might reduce a little overall trunk space, but who knows? The overall size of the RX330 looks about the same as the current model(probably a smidge larger). The headlights have a twist of LS/GX in it, as well as projector low beams, most probably HID(Why go HID then back to Halogens? My thoughts..). The foglights are in the bumper on the ends, like the LS. The tail lights are still clear, but it's a little shorter and wider looking, and more angular. It still looked like it had separate lenses for the turnsignals and brake lamps in circles. I only saw that shot for a second, so I didn't get a clear look. The pic you guys are seeing looks close, but the '04 RX looks more muscular than that. Another thing, the tail lights wrap around the sheetmetal, whereas the picture we're all seeing, it does not. The picture makes the RX look very tall, where the one I saw doesn't look tall at all.

Here's that pic you all saw, for reference:

I saw an interior shot for a split second, but not enough to comment about it. Once again, THERE IS NO THIRD ROW! I did see the steering wheel, it's still a 3 spoke, but the horizontal spokes are angled slightly down, whereas the current is straight.

That's about all I saw, and all I know. They didn't say much about the mechanical's about the RX330 other than what I mentioned about, in terms of it's competitiveness to the X5.

I also asked a few questions about the future of the GS and IS. Unfortunately the Inline Six is doomed. They still aren't sure about the AWD option, but it's in the talks. The V6 in the '04-'05 GS/IS/RX/ES will be based on the same block, but with varying power ratings(except the '04 ES and RX, which probably will have 240hp). No idea on power or other details for the GS/IS, aside from probable 2004 or 2005 introduction.

As you all know, the IS will eventually be in 2 door and convertible iterations, but no idea if it will be the current or next gen design.

The SC with a Six Cylinder is still in the talks. Note that I didn't say V6 or I6. They will most probably NOT produce the SC with a V6, but then again, they probably won't keep the I6 available for one model, when they plan to change the GS and IS to a V configuration, so it's like running around in circles on a definite answer for the future of an SC with a "6"(although they know that they don't need it).

OK Boys and Girls, enough for now!

Eddie

Last edited by Lexus of Manhattan; 11-06-02 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-06-02, 11:02 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie...Who 'da man? You 'da man!
Old 11-07-02, 12:05 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Thanks Eddie, that's some great info.
Old 11-07-02, 12:10 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Eddie, u are the best!!
Can you tell me when next year the RX330 will be on sale? Next Spring or Fall?
Let me know.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-07-02, 01:15 AM
Mind18
Driver

Default Impressions

What were your impressions of the new RX in terms of its looks? I know you said that you could tell it was an RX, but does that mean it looks more like a refresher, or still a pretty "new" design? Like it better than Lexus's other "design" trend of its other new models (LS, ES, GX, SC)? Thanks again for the info...
Old 11-07-02, 10:44 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Well, it's a fresh, new design. Bear in mind, the RX300 is the best selling LUV in it's class, Lexus would not want to mess with success with a complete makeover(like the 1st gen to 2nd gen GS had).

Rexus300, The only thing they told us was a first quarter/mid year intro of the '04 RX in '03. I doubt that they would stretch it to the end of the year.
Eddie
Old 11-07-02, 11:18 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

The headlights have a twist of LS/GX in it, as well as projector low beams
Finally! I've been wondering why they didnt have projectors in the first place. Is the actually headlight housing bigger than the 1st gen housing? Also do you have any other info on the new SC330 or 300 or whatever its going to be? Did you see any pictures of it or was it just the RX? Thanx for all the info. This is gonna be one hell of a SUV
Old 11-07-02, 11:48 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Alright I'm getting excited now. I wonder what the trade-in value of my '01 RX300 would be on a RX330? My RX is paid for, so I don't wanna lose my **** on upgrading to the 330... I wonder what the financial difference will be - can anyone speculate? I drive a Lexus, but I'm not made of money and I certainly don't like to spend foolishly.
Old 11-07-02, 12:11 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The RX is supposed to be better in many ways, but what makes it really interesting is the fact that it is going to be made in North America - this is good for pricing.
Old 11-07-02, 12:17 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Originally posted by LexRX
The RX is supposed to be better in many ways, but what makes it really interesting is the fact that it is going to be made in North America - this is good for pricing.
Isn't it supposed to be built in Canada?
Ed
Old 11-07-02, 03:01 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet info... i'm psyched about the Rx330... man, mabbie i wanna trade in my silversport for one... or better yet, trade the accord so i have a rx300 and a rx330 HAHA

Ya, i just went to my service rep and i asked him about the Rx330 and he said ya, its the Rx330 and it looks about the same but more rounded in a way. He said its nice, and they saw a short video like what eddie said and they saw pictures of the Rx330. No third row seat and 240hp... man i wonder how the interior is gonna be... Turning radius is fixed also i think. I hope they have some nifty cool gadgets in the car to fool around with... I just love all those useless cool things in the interior and exterior that is just like WOW....

He also told me that they should be releasing it in march or april.

MmMmmm Projectors... wonder if we can pop those into our current Rx3... projectors good...
Old 11-07-02, 03:09 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Well Canada is in North America so technically that's correct.
Better there than in Mexico (heh, VW bugs) or a Mercedes factory in Alabama. (heh that was a ML dig.)

Toyota will save on the import tariff, currency exchange, Canadian labor, and some shipping with Ontario Canada plant. Anyone have an idea what sort of savings that might be? Take a current $38k Kyushu built RX and estimate the cost savings of having it built in Canada. What is the import tariff?

And while it may improve pricing, I think most of the savings will go to Toyota instead of any consumer price breaks or additional features. In any case I hope Toyota proves me wrong about the price/features aspect since we're losing the respected Japanese manufacturing we're used to in the current RX. We'll just have to see next year.
Old 11-07-02, 05:46 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

xsfo, I would predict the RX pricing to remain the same with more features added. This seems to be the best route for Lexus.
Old 11-07-02, 06:36 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ya, my dealer told me that it should be about the same, no price increase at all.
Old 11-07-02, 06:56 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

I also tend to agree with the similar price, more features scenario. What I'm afraid of is that the features will be lacking when you take in account their savings per vehicle.

Let's say they save $3000 per vehicle by building in Canada. (No import tariffs, less shipping, lower labor costs). I'm worried all that gets us is something lame like heated arm rests standard. Toyota spends $100 on the standard heated arm rests and keeps the rest of the $2900 savings. I'd like to know what the extra features will be.

As good as Canadian labor may be (eh?), they'll have new factory and new model production issues to work out. The RXs coming out of Canada will of course be different from the Japanese RXs we're used to in the current RX300. This is one big feature we're losing with the Canadian production. I just hope the additional features in the RX help to offset this.

Last edited by xsfo; 11-07-02 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!