RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 11:15 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember the brushed aluminum. I was sitting towards the back of the room, they showed a large picture of the interior, then it shrunk realy quick until it focused in on a different image, so I didn't get a good look. Oh well..
Ed
Old 11-17-02, 02:18 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Bump.

whitels: any comments to my interior questions?

Also, since production will be in Canada, will
special orders be easier and faster?
Old 11-17-02, 02:26 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by xsfo
Bump.

whitels: any comments to my interior questions?

Also, since production will be in Canada, will
special orders be easier and faster?
We were only shown one interior- the one on display. I don't recall of any mention as far as what kinds of interior would be available.

Toyota/Lexus as far as I know do not offer special orders. What you see on the lot, or in the shipping inventory as units roll off the factory, is what you will get. I am not sure if the Canadian factory being closer to us will make ordering any easier or faster.
Old 11-17-02, 05:50 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

whitels: thanks for your input!

I know Toyota does allow some special orders. The RAV4, built in Japan, is an example. You have to be patient and find a dealer willing to do a special order. An order built Japan takes quite awhile to get (up to 3 months depending on the situation). Dealers are discouraged from doing so by the financial incentive of making a quicker sale from stock. Toyota corporate also tries to discourage it also. I think the main issue is the hassle and lengthy turnaround time required to get an order from Japan. Also it makes their purchasing process a little more complicated. I think the RX being the first Lexus built in North America should be somewhat configurable. What's the point of building it in Canada if you can't order exactly what you want?

It will be an improvement if they do so. This way you won't necessarily be stuck with whatever some marketing team decides or dealer lot leftovers.
Old 11-17-02, 11:54 AM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by xsfo
whitels: thanks for your input!

I know Toyota does allow some special orders. The RAV4, built in Japan, is an example. You have to be patient and find a dealer willing to do a special order. An order built Japan takes quite awhile to get (up to 3 months depending on the situation). Dealers are discouraged from doing so by the financial incentive of making a quicker sale from stock. Toyota corporate also tries to discourage it also. I think the main issue is the hassle and lengthy turnaround time required to get an order from Japan. Also it makes their purchasing process a little more complicated. I think the RX being the first Lexus built in North America should be somewhat configurable. What's the point of building it in Canada if you can't order exactly what you want?

It will be an improvement if they do so. This way you won't necessarily be stuck with whatever some marketing team decides or dealer lot leftovers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After getting an opportunity to tour the Toyota plant in KY, I learned about "Just In Time" or JIT process that they employ in making cars. The bottom line is that the vehicles are made so that there's very little margin for vehicles sitting on the lot. The cars are made so that by the time one is sold another is on it way to the dealer. With this in mind, I can understand why special orders are frowned upon because this essentially messes up JIT and keeping inventory in check.

I don't believe that with the next RX being built in NA will change that process. The idea is to get cars out of the plants as quick as possible and keep inventory lean as possible.

IMHO.
Old 11-17-02, 02:34 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus WILL do a special order. When shopping for my ES I was told that I could have it sprayed in the midnight green of the LS or the graphite of the IS/GS, but I'd have to wait 4-5 months. I was also told that I could order a car with any combination of options, base model, Mark Levinson without navigation, navigation without mark levinson, or I could get a car with AVS, but it would take 4-5 months. I can also have any interior color I want as long as it is availiable on the ES regardless of the exterior color. Lexus doesn't ship the dark blue ES with the black interior etc. Spousey likes the IS and has decided that when we order it for her, we'll wait the extra time to get her the dark green she likes. I was also told that I could order an LS430 with the bordeaux interior wood without the Ultra Luxury package if I want to wait. Ask your dealers about it.

Also, Lexus does not have a $1000 non-refundable fee for this like Mercedes does, all they require is at least a $500 refundable deposit, just like a dealer allocation. They use that as a down payment when the car comes in, or you can have it back!
Old 11-17-02, 02:55 PM
330wannabe
Rookie

I talked to my local dealer yesterday and he said that the new RX will have steering wheel audio controls...I forgot to ask him about lexus link...ohh well maybe next time!
Old 11-17-02, 04:10 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

Default Printed Material

Does anyone know when the printed material on the new 330 will be available? I'm in the market for a new SUV, and while I was seriously considering the 2003 MDX, I'd like to wait just a little bit longer to compare it to the new RX. Especially if it has a hybrid version and audio controls on the steering wheel. Wow -- what an improvement!

To all those worried about Canadian reliability, the MDX (which is also built in Canada) was recently upgraded by Consumer Reports from a "better than average" to a "much better than average" reliability. So, I'm not too concerned about that part.

Andi
Old 11-17-02, 07:05 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

Printed material? That won't be available until just before launch in April 2003 or so. There will probably some specs released when it is announced at the January auto shows.

If you want to compare the new RX to a MDX now, consider its sister vehicle the Toyota Highlander. The RX's dimensions will differ a bit from the Highlander but it definitely won't be as big as the MDX. The MDX is longer at 188.5 in and wider at 77 in. The RX will weigh more than the Highlander, probably around 4,000 lbs. The MDX weighs in more at about 4,500 lbs depending on which trim level you get. No third row in the new RX so no comparison there to the MDX (which of course has a third row). Other Highlander specs that might apply include a 37.4 ft turning circle and 3,500 lbs towing capacity.

The RX will have a new 3.3 liter engine with 240hp so weigh-to-power ratio will be about the same as the coming 260hp MDX. Maybe about a 8.0 sec 0-60 time, which is claimed better than the current BMW X5 3.0i. My guess is that a hybrid engine option will not be available for launch but instead a later model year. We've heard about a brushed aluminium interior and steering wheel audio controls. We can assume DVD navigation and Mark Levinson stereo options.

It sounds like basically an RX, but better.
Despite my kvetching, overall it sounds pretty tight!
Old 11-18-02, 06:45 PM
amontgom
Driver School Candidate

I definitely prefer the smaller size of the RX to the MDX, which is one reason why I am waiting. The RX's current performance is just fine with me, but so is any improvement -- unless it reduces the fuel economy. I would love to try a hybrid version, and if it means waiting until later in the year, then I may just do it. Thanks for the info.

Andi
Old 11-19-02, 11:01 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Special orders are available, however I usually tell a customer that the wait time is anywhere between 4-6 months. I'd rather say a later time and have the car come in sooner than say sooner and have the car come in later, know what I mean?

Dealers prefer to stay away from special orders because the car might be configured by the customer in a way that there might be no demand for that kind of car. That's the reason why if you look at an ES300 brochure, it says you can get Black with Grey interior, while I have not seen one to this day-it's based on demand. A dealer doesn't want to get stuck with a car that a customer might potentially cancel an order for. In most cases, special orders require a non-refundable deposit of $500-$1,000.
When a dealer says that they can't accurately price a special order car it really is true! They can't!
I special ordered for my brother a 2003 IS300 E-shift in May 2002. The car has every available option, probably one of a kind in the area! I took delivery October 2002. I didn't know how much the car would cost until within 2 weeks of the car's arrival.

I had a customer special order an IS300 Sportcross a while back. He demanded to set a price on the car based on the current pricing, we told him that we can't really say what the pricing would be. Eventually we gave in and agreed. Lo and behold, Lexus offers a discount package on the car while it's in the process of being built, and the pricing ends up changing. The customer now wants to re-negotiate. He initially signed and agreed to a non-refundable deposit, and agreed to the price, but now he wants to re-negotiate. Where does that put me? in a spot where I don't want to be!
Ed
Old 11-19-02, 11:17 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can fully understand your reasoning.

I think if you're going to special order a car, you have a responsibility as part of a business transaction to be sure you're going to take delivery.
Old 11-22-02, 02:50 PM
Static911

A member emailed me this picture. We will all know for sure at the LA Auto Show in January 2003.
Attached Thumbnails Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!-rx330_2.jpg  
Old 11-22-02, 03:37 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, we know about that one.
Here's the original image from 1998.
Attached Thumbnails Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!-3.jpg  

Last edited by Daddy-O; 11-22-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 07:11 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

how about power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away?