RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-02, 08:45 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would bet that one of the main goals of the plant move to North America was to offer a better RX for the same money. The RX is a Lexus 'best seller' and we here in NA love our 'utes, so why not build it here. The profits that Lexus NA will see may more more along the lines of increased (or sustained) sales figures of a vehicle that is better than before but with the same price. This could lead to more customers and each customer is worth a lot more than the sticker price of a vehicle.

As for the quality, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is being built by Canadian workers, but under the supervision of a Japanese company. The work ethic of the employees may not be the same, but the company requiremets for the vehicles will be.

Boy, do I sound like a Lexus corp. rep. or what?
Old 11-08-02, 07:59 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

A few people mentioned the new RX will be built in Canada, in a new factory, and they're worried about quality issues...
I was worried about that too, but I didn't want to wait an extra year until Lexus "works out all the bugs."
Research pulled up the following: The Canada plant has been open since 98 and has been making Toyota Corollas and recently added the Toyota Matrix to the lineup. Quality for both cars has been excellent and the plant was awarded by J.D. Power for their outstanding quality. But the Tahara plant in Japan still holds the title as the best in the world.
With that in mind, and the fact that Lexus has never messed up before before with their first model cars, I'm not worried anymore I'll be one of the first on the list for the new RX330!
Old 11-08-02, 10:08 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by gs4to4
I'll be one of the first on the list for the new RX330!
...and we'll be one of the first one's to see your new ride. Right?
Old 11-08-02, 10:39 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Talking

Thats right. Only the RX will be for my girl. I'll be waiting for the new GS!
Old 11-09-02, 12:34 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

gs4to4:
I hope that your outlook on the first year pans out.
Does anyone have new pictures?

Ford/Lincoln needs to take a page from Toyota.
Check out the problems so far on the Lincoln Aviator.
It hasn't been officially released yet too!
http://www.bonforums.com/lincolnmerc...def.110602.htm
Old 11-10-02, 05:30 AM
xsfo
Pole Position

Did the new RX steering wheel have controls for the radio?
Old 11-10-02, 07:27 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Originally posted by xsfo
I saw the steering wheel for a split second, I have no idea...I hope so though!
Ed
Old 11-10-02, 11:10 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by xsfo
I hope so too, I don't know why Lexus vehicles don't...
Old 11-11-02, 03:06 AM
Mind18
Driver

Originally posted by SW03ES

I hope so too, I don't know why Lexus vehicles don't...
I wish they had side mirror turn signals and LEDs as well. To me, it gives the vehicle an extra "allure" about it.
Old 11-12-02, 02:14 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus of Manhattan

I saw the steering wheel for a split second, I have no idea...I hope so though!
Ed
Based on what I saw during the focus group, there is a "possibility" that there would be steering wheel radio control. Both left and right steering wheel spokes were "taped" as if it was concealing a few buttons underneath.

Ed, you gave a very good description of the RX330.

Also, someone here has a question about the interior. The motiff inside is brushed aluminum.
Old 11-12-02, 10:37 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by whitels

The motiff inside is brushed aluminum.
Mmmmm... brushed aluminum would be very nice... I have been wishing I had either brushed aluminum or grey carbon fiber interior accents and steering wheel as opposed to all the wood that I have now. I think that'd fit the personality of the RX better than the wood, but that's just me.
Old 11-12-02, 03:53 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

whitels and Eddie: OK, interior questions.

Does the brushed aluminum seem to be in only one trim level like a Sport or Silversport or all trim levels? Was it like the Silversport interior? See Silversport interior

If there is wood trim, is it shiny and glossy like in the other Lexus models or matte finish like in the New Range Rover? The matte finish is really nice and more Lexus-like in my opinion. Check out the new Range Rover to see.

What exterior/interior color combination did you see? Was the leather ivory or black? Do you think gray leather will be available again?

Is the leather perforated or not? I hope it is not perforated. It gets nasty faster and is more prone to cracking.

Is the center console area like the current RX where there's space? Or does the console take up the whole center area like in the Highlander?

I'm not sure I understand the steering wheel design. How different is it from the current RX steering wheel? How can the 9 and 3 o'clock spokes be more "angled down"? The current wheels are already angled somewhat.

Is the steering wheel wood, or leather wrapped? I prefer the leather wrapped steering wheels.

Will it be easier to replace the stock stereo than in the current RX? I mean is the stereo unit integrated into the A/C controls? Obviously I hope we can swap out headunits more easily. I want to put in a MP3 deck with front aux input for my iPod.

Last edited by xsfo; 11-12-02 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 08:24 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

xsfo,

just my 2 cents... i would imagine they would keep the ac controls bundled with the radio, just because that was a big feature/deal when the car first came out. Also, I think they would keep it to further separate itself from the highlander interior (though I love that middle console on the highlander!).

all this news about the new rx is very exciting -- my gf is already talking about selling her current RX next year...
Old 11-12-02, 09:45 PM
xsfo
Pole Position

i would imagine they would keep the ac controls bundled with the radio, just because that was a big feature/deal when the car first came out.
Huh? Why was it a big deal to have a bundled stereo/AC? I'd rather have speed sensitive volume-adjust -- now that is a useful feature. Any hope for that?

The stock stereo is all fine and good, but don't they realize that there's a demand for customization out there? The easier it is to cleanly upgrade the sound system, the better it is for us consumers. Imagine if the stock wheels were welded onto the RX. See integrated wheels! Not need to worry about those pesky lug nuts holding the wheels on.
Old 11-12-02, 09:50 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

yes, i certainly agree with you that they shouldn't be bundled the way they are...

however, for some reason I just believe that they will carry them over to the next model (just because of the way they presented it when the car was originally introduced). adding asl and some steering wheel audio controls would be a smart addition.

god, don't even joke about the wheel thing -- the way some car manufacturers force feed consumers.. it would be scary to see what they would do!

Quick Reply: Alright boys and girls..Gather 'round.. '04 RX330 Juice!