RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Jumped 2009 rx350 with jumpers on backwards!

Old 04-13-12, 10:52 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jumped 2009 rx350 with jumpers on backwards!

Hi everyone.

I am at work, and was listening to my radio and of course, my lights were on.
Battery went dead. (This has happened to me before.)

I went inside and asked a co-worker for a jump.
We went outside, and I connected up my car to his jumpers, thinking he knew HIS car...
I went inside my car, and turned the key. NOTHING.
I went out under the hood, grabbed the positive jumper cable and pulled it off. It was warm!( the jumper) I looked, and he had his connections on backwards!

We hook it up the correct way, and now I only get all my startup lights, and no starter.

Any Ideas for this one stupid guy???

I hope its not my ecu......
Old 04-13-12, 12:05 PM
Barryst
Driver

I guess I have to help myself here.
I have located a 100 amp big block fuse under the hood in the fusebox thats blown. It also looks like the 160 amp may be blown as well. (Number 1 and 2 in the owners manual.)
-Does anyone know how to remove these type of fuses??
Old 04-13-12, 12:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
I guess I have to help myself here.
I have located a 100 amp big block fuse under the hood in the fusebox thats blown. It also looks like the 160 amp may be blown as well. (Number 1 and 2 in the owners manual.)
-Does anyone know how to remove these type of fuses??
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04_03.pdf

Start at page 353 (page 42 of the document). This is right out of the Owner's Manual as you have noted. As you can see it is inferred that they all just pull straight out.

You may have done some serious damage here. Not only will fuses be blown, but you may need to replace bulbs, computers, etc. No telling how far this goes.

OM states the second one is a 140. Perhaps they made a change along the way. Replace with what you have in the vehicle and not by the OM. If you have plenty of light and the vehicle is in a safe place, I would just go fuse-by-fuse and look for failures. Make a list. Then, go to a Toyota/Lexus shop and get the fuses as needed. Doubt there are enough replacement spares in the vehicle. Have never seen Type B or Type C fuses in the local parts stores.

Think about getting a tow to a shop. Do not know if this would be covered under warranty, if you are still under a warranty. Would be easy to figure out what was done wrong.
Old 04-13-12, 12:52 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously, a new battery is in order and that would be a great pace to start. This has happened before and people report various settings lost, a fuse or two but I haven't heard of lasting damage, Toyota engineers may have um idiot proofed the system to some extent.

Get a new battery and let the car sit at least half an hour before hooking up the new battery.
Old 04-13-12, 02:01 PM
Barryst
Driver

The plot thickens....

While trying to take out the 140 amp fuse, I broke the top clear plastic cover. So I tool an alagator clip and connected the two halves together. (I know this is not nice, but this was the only device I had in my box.) I gt inside the car, and it started! I noticed the check engine light is on, along with another symbol of a car with squiggly lines behind it, on. I tried to link up with my OBD 2 reader, and Its like theres nothing there!!!
It seems like it can't find the computer. I have a feeling that this could be bad!
Any thoughts???

I will probably get a new battery for starters, even though my battery still has a good green eye indicator.
Old 04-13-12, 02:03 PM
Barryst
Driver

Also forgot to say I drove the car a few feet, it felt like it was in "limp mode" as it is bogging down,and would not shift. I don't know if this is good or bad??
Old 04-13-12, 02:12 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Also forgot to say I drove the car a few feet, it felt like it was in "limp mode" as it is bogging down,and would not shift. I don't know if this is good or bad??
Could just be from another fuse blown. Did you check them all?

Sounds like it started without the need of a jump this time. Correct?
Old 04-13-12, 02:22 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm confused...Did you replace the blown fuses?

I've had cars come into my uncle's shop after being jumped backwards, and usually a fuse is all it needs. There hasn't been any long term damage on any cars. All though I'm sure it's possible, as all of these cars only had the jumpers backwards for a few seconds, it sounds like you had your jumpers the wrong way for more than a few seconds.
Old 04-13-12, 02:22 PM
Barryst
Driver

From what I could see the rest of them looked good. I'm only talking about those square fuses you can inspect from the top. I haven't pulled any fuses out, and looked at them yet.

And YES, the car started WITHOUT a jump! What the heck??? I have a bad problem of sitting in my car at breaktime and lunchtime and listen to the radio. Sometimes I notice my lights are on. I think I forget to shut them off, and it eats up my battery. This is the 3rd time I had to get a jump at work. Funny thing is my battery checks out at 12.5 volts, car running, 13.8 volts. (before this happened)
-Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-13-12, 02:29 PM
Barryst
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish

I've had cars come into my uncle's shop after being jumped backwards, and usually a fuse is all it needs. There hasn't been any long term damage on any cars. All though I'm sure it's possible, as all of these cars only had the jumpers backwards for a few seconds, it sounds like you had your jumpers the wrong way for more than a few seconds.
No, I didn't have that type of fuse with me. I used an alagator clip to bridge the open circut in the top of the fuse.

Not only were the jumpers on backwards,(less than 1 minute), but I tried to start the car! I think this is where I could have done damage. (I knew immedately what it was, when my car would not start.)
-Funny thing is, when the jumpers were on backwards, the running vehicle i was getting the jump from was OK!
Old 04-13-12, 03:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

From what I could see the rest of them looked good. I'm only talking about those square fuses you can inspect from the top. I haven't pulled any fuses out, and looked at them yet.
Would take the time over the weekend to check all the fuses inside the vehicle as well and not just those under the hood. The Type A fuses include some spares there. You really need to pull each one and inspect.
Old 04-13-12, 03:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Price comparison for when you go to the dealership:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2009.html
Old 04-13-12, 03:30 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't waste time trying to diagnose the car while it still has a bad battery. Start from a known good position, a new battery and a computer reset. then start eliminating any remaining gremlins.
Old 04-13-12, 03:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish

Those Type B&C block fuses are somewhat hard to find. Would be curious to see how many a dealer actually stocks as they should not go bad to be honest. Type A are another story.

Best way to provide a jump is through an in-car cigarette/auxiliary power adapter between vehicles. Slow, but safer. Would rather call AAA using my card for someone rather than provide a jump off my system.

Have seen cases where the thousand dollar computer gives itself up to protect the inexpensive fusible link.
Old 04-13-12, 03:47 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Those Type B&C block fuses are somewhat hard to find. Would be curious to see how many a dealer actually stocks as they should not go bad to be honest. Type A are another story.

Best way to provide a jump is through an in-car cigarette/auxiliary power adapter between vehicles. Slow, but safer. Would rather call AAA using my card for someone rather than provide a jump off my system.

Have seen cases where the thousand dollar computer gives itself up to protect the inexpensive fusible link.
Yeah, I know those fuses normally aren't in stock. But, luckily I order parts through WorldPac at my uncle's shop, and they have these fuses and anything else you can imagine in stock. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jumped 2009 rx350 with jumpers on backwards!